RDS fork, FDS hub convertible?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

RDS fork, FDS hub convertible?

Post by Gari »

Ordered a 135 fork yesterday, along with a hope hub to go with it. Today got an email stating the fork is out of stock until September!
Had a look around and Surly fds (non offset) forks are out of stock pretty much everywhere coming up on my searches. Hub is now on its way so wondering if it’s possible to space the disc or adapter to fit a rds fork. As the bike is mainly for humping my camera gear around the Cairngorms I could probably get away without a front brake if pushed to it, so any caveats re spacing won’t be up to hard braking is ok I think. Over to the hive mind:) thanks in anticipation.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: RDS fork, FDS hub convertible?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hope make disc spacers Gari and when everything was IS mount, a pile of washers beneath a caliper wasn't uncommon.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

Cheers Stu, I’ll get online and order a fork then :-bd I’m reckoning once this thing’s built it won’t be a looker, but much like myself it’ll make up in being practical and good at carrying heavy things:)
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Wasnt there an FDS puffin fork on stw classifieds recently?

I always fet confused by FDS and RDS spacing, but seem to remember you can space out an RDS hub to fit an FDS fork. Hope or Problem Solvers do the shims. Its 4-5mm An FDS hub wont fit an RDS fork though as the FĎS disk mount is too wide. I have seen people machine down brake adaptors for this, but there is no off the shelf solution.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Problem Solvers do an adapter iirc. 4.8mm I think.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Cheers, it needs to be a Surly as I want to fit a rack, and don’t want to bodge the top mount. As it will be carrying my camera gear I’d rather not take the risk.