Close up...
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (402.01 KiB) Viewed 901 times
ianfitz

Re: Road link, goat link or other idea for 11-42t

Post by ianfitz »

Justchris wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:
Justchris wrote:I'm under the impression it's your front rings that are causing the problems. They are ment to be no more than ten apart.
That's incorrect.
How come? It states in the wolf tooth comparability data that the front rings should be no more than 10 teeth apart for them to work with a 40 at the back. If your beyond those limits the rear mech won't have a large enough swing, I would have guessed.
I lot of those specs are to ensure you have ‘all’ your gears available. But if you accept that you’ll never use 50 front and 40 rear (probably not enough chain for that) then you can stretch the specs.

Most manufacturers are conservative in their specs. I ran a 10-42 sram cassette with a 28/38 up front. Xx1 rear mech shouldn’t cope with that but i had the high and low gears I wanted but not all 22 gears - which was fine.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

All gears worked on the turbo and on a quick spin around the block they were all fine too.

I've no intention of using 50 x42t but it does work. I doubt I'll use the 34 x/42t that often, but I'll be glad to have it when I do.
Last edited by Moder-dye on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Moder-dye wrote:All gears worked on the turbo and on a quick spin around the block they were all fine took.

I've no intention of using 50 x42t but it does work. I doubt I'll use the 34 x/42t that often, but I'll be glad to have it when I do.

I certainly had times on long road rides where I would have been pleased to have a 34-42 :-bd