stem raiser help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

stem raiser help

Post by windjammer »

trying to get my bars higher up on my fatbike,forks only have 50mm steerer tube above headset left,what would happen if i fitted one of these would it cause a stress loading to the alloy steerer tube
Attachments
29875.jpg
29875.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
ScotRoutes

Re: stem raiser help

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've seen a few of those over the years. Mostly fitted to sturdy steel tourers with drop bars :|

I guess if it works for you, then fine. However, I'd really be thinking about whether I had the right size of frame if the 50mm above current stem wasn't enough.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't you just fit a higher rise stem or bars?
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I went through the same thing and got one of those steerer extenders. I reckoned they'd be OK on a touring / commuter bike but not up to the job of mountainbiking. So I ended up with a Mondraker onoff stoic 20mm reach stem - http://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/C ... em-FG-20mm

Puts the bars about an inch higher than and just in front of the centre line of the steerer. The ICT has a very long top tube so I was looking to reduce reach and well as increase bar height. A side benefit is making the steering feel incredibly light and direct. Its also good for going down steep stuff and doesn't seem to prevent steep climbing to boot. If you do want to keep the bars out front try an ergotec high charisma - similar to the Mondraker stem but a third of the price and longer.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

windjammer

Post by windjammer »

htrider wrote:I went through the same thing and got one of those steerer extenders. I reckoned they'd be OK on a touring / commuter bike but not up to the job of mountainbiking. So I ended up with a Mondraker onoff stoic 20mm reach stem - http://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/C ... em-FG-20mm

Puts the bars about an inch higher than and just in front of the centre line of the steerer. The ICT has a very long top tube so I was looking to reduce reach and well as increase bar height. A side benefit is making the steering feel incredibly light and direct. Its also good for going down steep stuff and doesn't seem to prevent steep climbing to boot. If you do want to keep the bars out front try an ergotec high charisma - similar to the Mondraker stem but a third of the price and longer.
bought this stem its vaguely exciting gets the bars higher up and can pull wheelies with ease,mega smile maker,thanks for the link :grin:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

For anyone wanting a bit more reach along with some height, I bought a Cinelli Pista track stem and turned it the wrong way up. 30 degrees and various lengths available.
It's not made for Mtb, but if it's good enough for hammering on the track I reckon it'll be fine. Cheap too!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Oli.vert wrote:For anyone wanting a bit more reach along with some height, I bought a Cinelli Pista track stem and turned it the wrong way up. 30 degrees and various lengths available.
It's not made for Mtb, but if it's good enough for hammering on the track I reckon it'll be fine. Cheap too!
+1 for it, I have one too :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

I've used one of these, very happy: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-BHS-24-Hig ... xoEALw_wcB
£5 off with this code: ECWJ2R

Or have you thought of a limp dick?