Garmin Etrex mounts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Giacomo

Garmin Etrex mounts

Post by Giacomo »

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows any etrex mounts (for stem or bars) that are better than Garmin's own plastic one with cable ties?
I've used this one for a good few years now, but can't help but think there must be something better out there???
pistonbroke

Re: Garmin Etrex mounts

Post by pistonbroke »

I've got several types, the K Edge stem spacer one is probably the sturdiest but expensive, SRAM out front ones are cheaper and pretty secure. Depends where you want the gps to sit, I like it on the stem rather than bars on the mountainbike but in front of the bars on the road, not sure why. Hinged ones are also handy to move the unit to see the screen better in bright sunlight.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

None of them do etrex mount though pistonbroke.

I find the etrex one ok if I mount it on the stem or the top tube so the mass centres not trying to rotate it on the long axis.

If I mount it on h accessory bar I find it drops down at the nose so you can't see it over rough ground
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Not used but saved the link for later reference. I just use the standard one currently. Note you also have to buy a bar mount so they're pretty expensive

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/garmin-etre ... 9_659.html
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry I misread as Garmin Edge, must get some new glasses :roll:
techno

Post by techno »

Trail-rat wrote:I find the etrex one ok if I mount it on the stem or the top tube so the mass centres not trying to rotate it on the long axis.

If I mount it on h accessory bar I find it drops down at the nose so you can't see it over rough ground
Not an alternative mount but a handy way of getting the unit off the bars. I've had mine mounted on one of these for about 3 months (1000km) of mixed on and off road riding with no problems: https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-bheesty

Mounts up like this:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I bolted / epoxied a garmin one to the top of a hope qr light mount so I didn't have to have it cable tied to the bars and I could swap it about bikes
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

[url]http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ota#p67561[\url]

This is an old post of mine. Using a RAM mount quite happily for a few years now and never given a moments problem including Tour Aotearoa two years ago so many thousands of miles. Not cheap but I have bought once and if it breaks would by again. To confirm it is the softplate.nl with a RAM mount. Although mine is the Dakota there were mounts for other Garmin units.

On occasion it can take up a bit of space on the bar and I can swap easily between bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

restlessnative wrote:I bolted / epoxied a garmin one to the top of a hope qr light mount so I didn't have to have it cable tied to the bars and I could swap it about bikes
I like that idea. I've an Oregon and the Garmin bike mount is pretty poor.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've yet to have an issue with the standard Garmin mounts for my Oregon. A sliver of
old inner tube as a shim increases the grip on the bars.

The Oregon has never self-ejected either.

On a recent OTB my leg caught the Oregon and ripped it off the bars - still in it's mount. The lanyard I always use stopped it disappearing into the undergrowth.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ScotRoutes wrote:I've yet to have an issue with the standard Garmin mounts for my Oregon. A sliver of
This^. Still use a lanyard, just in case.

I would prefer the Edge style twist mount on an Etrex - makes battery changes easier, as it is currently wedged onto a short stem and awkward to access. But as the Li batteries last around 45hrs, it's not a big deal.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:I've yet to have an issue with the standard Garmin mounts for my Oregon. A sliver of

I would prefer the Edge style twist mount on an Etrex - makes battery changes easier, as it is currently wedged onto a short stem and awkward to access. But as the Li batteries last around 45hrs, it's not a big deal.
Also used this bracket from K Lite, but it wasn't very satisfactory, requiring a lot of fiddling after every bit of rough descent.
https://www.kliteusa.net/product-page/a ... trex-klite
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

The RAM mounts are very secure but also very clunky and quite heavy, I have one in my sailing canoe for using my etrex in that. On the bike I just use the Garmin mount zip tied on top of the stem, I always use the lanyard as a back up but after adding a small length of self amalgamating tape (that fits between the GPS and the mount and tightens the mount up) I've has no problems with it moving.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:

Also used this bracket from K Lite, but it wasn't very satisfactory, requiring a lot of fiddling after every bit of rough descent.
https://www.kliteusa.net/product-page/a ... trex-klite
I've got one of those, I'm really impressed with it. Rock solid.
Strange?