Ceramic Bearings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Ceramic Bearings

Post by sean_iow »

I seem to be changing my hub an BB bearings on a regular basis these days. I think I changed the rear hub bearings just after the BB200 and last night I had to fit new bearings to the rear hub again and swap the free-hub off another bike, I couldn't be bothered to change the bearings in that in the shed in the dark with only a head torch for illumination :roll:

The BB bearings were changed just before the BB200 and at the weekend I took them out, took the seals off and exchanged the muddy water for grease. They no longer sound like a man rotavating a gravel path but the amount of play before I pre-loaded them (and the creaking on the way to work this morning) would suggest they are also done for :lol:

I accept that my bike probably does more miles in more filth than the designers of the parts (Hope) would normally expect. My friends have taken to the roads as the trails are so bad but I can only ride for so long on the black stuff before I get bored of it.

So, would ceramic bearings last longer? Are they more resistant to wear if water gets past the seals?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Ceramic Bearings

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

would ceramic bearings last longer? Are they more resistant to wear if water gets past the seals?
Yes and no - you still have metal races, so while the 'balls' will be more tolerant of water / mud ingress, the bearing as a whole probably won't be.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

So, would ceramic bearings last longer? Are they more resistant to wear if water gets past the seals?
Not based on my experience with a King ceramic. The sealing was pretty hopeless and a couple of months of winter use meant the ceramic balls wore the race down considerably, enough that it's was hard to take up the slack. They're serviceable but one day ride could fill it with junk. Gimmic imo, what's needed is good protection+sealing on top of the std seals on a sealed bearing.

New M8000 XTs are doing well for me these days.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a variety of HT-2 bottom brackets from bottom(sic) end Deore up to Hope ceramic.

The ceramic BB is on my "good" road bike, probably done in excess of 20,000km so far with just an annual removal and clean out of the shell and threads.
The hardtail has a Hope BB with stainless steel bearings. This has done about 9,000km with a twice yearly clean. Still going fine.
Commuter has a Sram GFX - I'm not holding my breath. It's done a couple of thousand km since fitting.
Fat bike and single speed have Shimano Deore. I've just replaced the BB on the single speed, the previous one was Deore as well and had done around 8000km before it really died.

To be honest, much as I like Hope stuff, it's hard to justify the extra cost particularly of the ceramic version when an £11 Deore lasts so well. The most I do on any particular bike in a year is about 3000km so for any particular bike I'd expect to replace a Deore BB every three years. Even a yearly replacement is hardly breaking the bank (for a single bike).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll stick with normal then. A google search shows I can buy a top spec ceramic bearing for £60 a side :o The genuine Hope stainless ones are only £17 each.

As for the hubs, I think I'll try the CRC own brand (sorry Jameso) and see how they last, at £2.99 for a hub bearing it's worth a go. If I keep a spare freehub (borrowed off the unused bike) ready to go I can swap that in minutes. As I have the hope tool, changing the hub bearings also only takes a couple of minutes.

Tonight's 'commute' will be 3.5hrs on the road (long way home as I only live 7.5 miles from work) but on the SS MTB road work can be a bit soul destroying. I manage it early on in the week as otherwise it's not just bike bearings that are taking a bashing, it's also the washing machine :lol: I'll be back off-road for the long commute Thursday but after the ride I end up hosing myself down in the garden but it's pretty cold (it will be 9 o'clock and dark) and I've no idea what the neighbours think :shock:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My Hope SS BB on my Fargo Commuter has done 22,663 km as of today in all weathers with no love.

My Uberbikes ceramic BB lasted the Tour Divide before being retired with play at 4614km.

Obviously far from a scientific test for many reasons but imho not worth it. I don't grudge the hope the 50 quid it cost in the sale. It had also done 740km in my old Swift before I sold the frame on and swapped it over to the Fargo now I think about it.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Tried a few different bearings, BB & wheel, with variety of results; Generally ceramic (SRAM & Rotor BB) never lasted any longer than SS. Old BSA BBs last better than the new PF crap, and made less of a creaking noise. Hope and Shimano wheel bearings both performed poorly compared with other (OE/unbranded) options. Don't know who makes Zipp bearings, but they outlasted the carbon rims on my road bike and are still mint.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

You don’t have to buy bearings from bicycle suppliers, I bought a pair of ceramic B.B. bearings to fit my hope 30mn external for less than hope stainless.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've always been led to believe that the key thing with bearings (other than the seals) is how round they are. The finer the tolerances, the better, and generally the more expensive.
Ceramic bearings cost more to manufacture than steel ones. Chances are that at a given price point, you'll get rounder steel bearings than ceramic.

(That said, I'll just stick with basic Shimano and spend the difference on beer...)
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have Uberbike ceramic bearings in my BB. They spin very freely - no drag whatsoever, and whenthey get a bit cruddy inside a flush with WD40 has them spinning nicely again. Trouble is that play does develop as they wear (I'm on my 2nd set). They are not that bad if you take advantage of uberbikes frequent discounts, nowhere near £11, but around the £40 mark I think
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Looks like you need to visit Hambini (.co.uk or com) and decide which beaeings you want. He has pink bearings and green bearings.. bearings with little moustaches and soft bearings... hard bearings with soft seals and hard seals wiyh soft bearings... anyways. You catch my drift.

If you read up a little of his notes and research it wont take you much ti decide which cartridge bearings you want to order from him.

Aerospace engineer by trade and does/explains lots of resewrch and all things rolling/water ingress etc on the side. He is also reknownwd for his customised bottom brackets but we dont want them...

In a nutshell ceramic bearings are not your answer. Think of a high performance Mclaren F1 as being akin to the ceramic bearings. Nice and fast but needs regular maintaining. On his youtube channel he explains all the differences between the sorts of seals and which are good for our airt of stuff abd which are good for rqcing on your beat bike but not for taking out in the dirt....
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I bought an Alpkit wheel with their stock rear hub.

I’ve had hope, gold tech and other expensive hubs but I’m pleasantly surprised with the Alpkit hub. It’s so easy to take apart, no hassle. Runs smoothly and I’ve had to re-gease less than more expensive hubs.

Don’t know what the weight is, but I would rather take a bit more weight over more maintenance

Sometimes expensive stuff is sometimes not better.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

As I understand it, ceramic bearings maybe rounder, harder, etc, but the bearing has to be really clean for those advantages to take effect. The tighter tolerances also mean that they take to running on a thinner lubricant (less resistance) better than a sst bearing.

So probably in reality, with the riding & conditions in the uk, they're not worth the extra $$. Especially on an mtb.

I'd just buy the best sst ones you can get/afford. I've had really good results with Enduro bearings..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It looks like I'll just be changing the bearings as required. I'd hoped ceramic might be some wonder cure but given the current local trail conditions it don't think they'd make a difference.

Hopefully it will eventually dry out. There is a 'dry' line on some of the climbs now. When I say 'dry' I mean we've had so much rain that all the soil has been washed off to leave a narrow line of the chalk underneath so at least I'm not riding through a constant soup of clay/chalk/water mix :roll:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I found some ceramic bearings for my 30mn hope here

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/CH-61806- ... &oid=36218

At £13 very much cheaper than from hope
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

SKF or Enduro bearings ftw IMHO.

I find stock shimano HTII bottom brackets not that bad tbh, I just change the whole cup with the BB as it's easier and keep them in stock (buy them on the cheap). I've tried plenty of others, shimano are pretty good for the money was my conclusion.