Cumulus quilt conundrum

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Cumulus quilt conundrum

Post by ScotRoutes »

Take it as read that I'm not fully convinced by the whole quilt thing.

Also take it that I don't want to rehash all the pros and cons in this thread.

I had told Andy at backcountry.scot that, should he ever get them in stock, I'd take one off him and give it a go. The bugger now has Cumulus 150s, 250s and 350s.

My problem is this; do I go for a "summer" weight option, making my lightest kit a bit lighter, or go for the warmest making my heaviest, winter, pack lighter? Would a light quilt also act as enough if a booster for my summer bag to make the combination into a lighter weight winter option?
ianfitz

Re: Cumulus quilt conundrum

Post by ianfitz »

I don’t know the answer Colin. But I’ve one if you want to borrow a 250 to see how you get on with it.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Same as Ian.
No helpful advice, but I too can offer the loan of a 250..
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Next.
(Are they suitable for 6 fters?)
Give the dirt a little room.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

metalheart wrote:150.
Next.
(Are they suitable for 6 fters?)
Yes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've the 150 and use it as a wrapper for a PHD Minimus (rated about the same as the quilt) for the colder months. I've used the combo down to -6C. I'm 5'11" and can curl up in the quilt no problem.

Cath's the 350 but hasn't used it a great deal yet as it was her xmas pressie :wink: Verdict so far is "it's comfy"!

I suppose it depends on what you've currently got.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Yes
Cheers :-bd
Give the dirt a little room.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I take it you are in Scotland.
I would go 250 although I live in Devon and have 350 :lol:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a 150 and a 350. Both get used about the same amount - given what you've said, I'd buy a 250. It won't be too warm for summer and will add a decent amount of warmth to an existing bag in winter.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Whilst we're discussing quilts, what am I supposed to do with the elastic on the back? There's 3 bits, 2 are long with cord locks and the other in the middle is only short and tied off.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

sean_iow wrote:Whilst we're discussing quilts, what am I supposed to do with the elastic on the back? There's 3 bits, 2 are long with cord locks and the other in the middle is only short and tied off.
Use them to attach your quilt to your mat.
Well, that’s what I do, that way you can still wriggle around, and you won’t lose any coverage.
YMMV tho..
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

sean_iow wrote:Whilst we're discussing quilts, what am I supposed to do with the elastic on the back? There's 3 bits, 2 are long with cord locks and the other in the middle is only short and tied off.
I took mine off as its hard enough to shuggle your way into a bivy bag.
On the plus side the quilt does lend itself to being inserted with you.
Sit at the head end, stick you feet in the foot box, slide into the bivy bag and the quilt goes with you.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I found them to be a bit of a faff and replaced them with some short loops. The intention was to make my own elasticated straps to go round the sleeping mat with some mitten hooks that would clip onto them but I haven't got round to this yet :roll: I'm a fairly static sleeper so once I've bedded down then everything usually stays in place.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thanks for the responses, especially the offer of a loan.

It does seem like the 250 would be the best option - or both a 150 and 350 :lol:

I'm going to go round to Andys and have a fondle. He also has some Cumulus Comforters which seem to offer a bit more flexibility too.

Interesting comments on the straps too.. I'd not really thought about the intricacies of trying to attach a quilt to a mat, in a bivvy bag, under a tarp, in the rain. Hmm....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I usually don't bother with the straps. If it's very cold, I'll sometimes put one under me but I never fasten the quilt to the mat.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote:Interesting comments on the straps too.. I'd not really thought about the intricacies of trying to attach a quilt to a mat, in a bivvy bag, under a tarp, in the rain. Hmm....
I hadn't realised about the straps until mine arrived in the post yesterday. Just sliding into it in the front room yesterday it was a bit like trying to get into a sleeping bag with the zip done up, albeit with a larger opening. Mine is a 150 so only for the better weather and last year I was using my summer bag un-zipped as a sort of quilt just over me. I think I might leave the straps off altogether to start with and see how that goes.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you go to any of the quilt pages on Cumulus' site then there's a couple of shots/diagrams showing how they intend the straps to be used. Definitely not "under tarp in heavy rain" friendly :o My modification/hack is attempting to do similar to what's described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHznRpNJpxU There's another US manufacturer who has a better quilt to pad attachment system but I can't remember who they are.

Edit: Found them :wink: Katabatic Gear - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyAAvOez_U
Last edited by whitestone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

whitestone wrote:If you go to any of the quilt pages on Cumulus' site then there's a couple of shots/diagrams showing how they intend the straps to be used. Definitely not "under tarp in heavy rain" friendly :o My modification/hack is attempting to do similar to what's described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHznRpNJpxU There's another US manufacturer who has a better quilt to pad attachment system but I can't remember who they are.
I've bought some extra flat straps from EE to replace the elastic on my cumulus quilt as I feel is the only thing that lets down my cumulus.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

So - quilt with bag ..... in or over?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Depends how roomy the bag is Colin - whatever causes less compression of the insulation (but you knew that) :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I'll try it for size later today. Just wondered if there was a general rule.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:So - quilt with bag ..... in or over?
I go with the quilt over but my bag is slim fitting (PHD minim), the foot box is a little compressed but in use I don't really notice. My quilt is the 150 but didn't you get a 250? In which case I think quilt on the outside will work better but as Stu says, you'll just have to try it.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Have been thinking about a quilt for summer use but realistically will only use a couple of times a year. £170 for the 250 is pretty steep in my book compared to the Alpkit Cloud Cover at £90. It's a higher fill power and slightly lighter but is it really £80 better?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have been thinking about a quilt for summer use but realistically will only use a couple of times a year. £170 for the 250 is pretty steep in my book compared to the Alpkit Cloud Cover at £90. It's a higher fill power and slightly lighter but is it really £80 better?
Really the two are very different and chalk and cheese - there's no comparison to be made with regard to use, construction or price.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:So - quilt with bag ..... in or over?
I go with the quilt over but my bag is slim fitting (PHD minim), the foot box is a little compressed but in use I don't really notice. My quilt is the 150 but didn't you get a 250? In which case I think quilt on the outside will work better but as Stu says, you'll just have to try it.
I’ve used minim with a 250 outside. Toasty!