Cumulus quilt conundrum

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianpv

Re: Cumulus quilt conundrum

Post by ianpv »

I'm a cold sleeper and I've got the 350 for 3 season use, I like it!
myheadsashed

Post by myheadsashed »

Cumulus are redesigning the quilts, the new ones should be out mid next month.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I was wondering about comments regarding quilts used over a sleeping bag so decided to do a comparison. This only applies to larger bags like mine and therefore I had always assumed that my quilt would go inside the bag. Seems to me that a quilt design with fixed footbox is limited as to its use as a cover over a bag. I did ask Cumulus if they would modify but they said they couldn’t.
I appreciate that a lighter down bag with a smaller footbox would probably work without too much compression round the footbox.
ImageP1150347 (576x1024) by michaelandamanda, on Flickr

Quilt is a 350
Bag is a Traveller 500
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I did ask Cumulus if they would modify but they said they couldn’t.
Buy one of their Comforters instead?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mariner: Yes it is very much dependent on both the quilt and the bag. I use my quilt over a PHD Minim 200 which is a very light 2 season bag so there's little compression around the foot box. It just happens to work. I wouldn't be able to do it if the bag was bigger, then I'd be looking at specifying a wider bag so that I could put the quilt inside.

It's basically a hack to avoid spending more money on kit :wink: Very much a niche requirement in the general scheme of things though you can get liner and over-bags they are obviously intended to be used with specific bags usually from the same manufacturer.

Would be interested to know what the redesign involves.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I was dicking around at the weekend with my quilt and my Millet Down dossbag.
I reckon I could use the quilt over the top, but still tucked in without loss of too much loft compression of either and they both fit into an 8ltr drybag.
So I’m pretty chuffed it’ll do for most scenarios I’m in..
Mike

Post by Mike »

Slept in the 450 again last night and no matter how much I pull the elastics tight I still wake up with a cold lower back n ass. I'm a side sleeper not convinced about a quilt for colder weather? Think I prefer being in a full bag... No drafts getting in there.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mike wrote:Slept in the 450 again last night and no matter how much I pull the elastics tight I still wake up with a cold lower back n ass. I'm a side sleeper not convinced about a quilt for colder weather? Think I prefer being in a full bag... No drafts getting in there.
You're a bit slimmer than me Mike so surprised at that as I'm a side sleeper as well. I don't bother with the elastic cords and find the quilt just drapes around me.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mike, you know me, I'm too lazy to bother with the cords and like Bob, very rarely get draughts ... I wonder whether the cords 'bunch' the quilt and prevent it from 'draping' naturally causing open spots along the edge?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think u may of hit it on the head stu. It did feel like there where raised parts. I have taken the cord off my 150. Maybe I should try this with out it too. I also found with the cord on and under the airbed it stops me from being able to tuck it in under my back which I think was the main issue with cold last night, that and they never had the heating on in the chapel :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I was bought an Alpkit quilt for Christmas having previously used a RAB Nutrino 400 bag. I don't get on with thin mats so have an Exped down filled one which pumps up using an integral foam thing which makes it look as though you're praying to Mecca when you inflate it. I'm working on the basis that this combination with a Borah bivvy will give me a warm if not waterproof setup for the pretty temperate conditions down here. My question is how to prevent the quilt going awol in the night as I move about quite a bit. I'd assumed making a foot box by closing the poppers up to about knee height then draping the rest over me will work but if anyone has better ideas, I'd be keen to hear. It seems a bit short for my 6' height, does the drawcord at the top of the quilt serve any practical purpose?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You're right, close foot end drawcord, do up some of the poppers and then top drawcord cinched around neck (ish) to prevent too much gapping.

IMO the Cloudcover is a pretty poor take on a top-quilt. Unless they've improved it significantly compared to the mk1 I've got. Every other quilt (UKHammocks, Enlightened Equipment and Scotty off ebay) are much better. A little more expensive but worth it. They're also small so yes, as a six-footer it might be a bit tight.

Sorry to be a downer. I'm sure someone will be along to offer a more positive view on them :cool:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Rather than start a new thread I’m fully conundrumed up (to the ying yangs).

Went to check out them quilts in Aviemore and I’m more confuddled than what I started with.

Maybe I’m just a FF but I can’t see it working for me. Looked at both the quilt and comforter.

My (admittedly bulky) -2 rated TNF bag/job kept me warm enough up Feshie way Sunday night (frost both sides of the fly sheet).

Gear nerd says it would be easier to pack/augment though... :roll:

Mind you, I couldn’t get the Revelate front harness to fit with my cabling. It’s probably just me... where’s me snips?
Give the dirt a little room.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Tried a Cumulus a couple years ago, really didnt get on with it. Kept waking up during the night with cold exposed bits. Doesnt help that I am 6'2", but think I just move around too much. Was on a longer trip so ended up ordering another RAB bag over internet and posting the Cumulus home.

Sleeping bag is the one thing I wont compromise on for a good nights sleep. Now have an XL Rab Neutrino 200 and its ace
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

ended up ordering another RAB bag
This. This is what I’m currently thinking myself... :oops:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Mike wrote:Slept in the 450 again last night and no matter how much I pull the elastics tight I still wake up with a cold lower back n ass. I'm a side sleeper not convinced about a quilt for colder weather? Think I prefer being in a full bag... No drafts getting in there.
I get the same with sleeping bags in some cases, when it's simply too cold for what I brought to lie on.. may be an issue of the mat being not warm enough rather than the (for me non existing) draft issue?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

metalheart wrote:
ended up ordering another RAB bag
This. This is what I’m currently thinking myself... :oops:
I wonder if they suit the shorter, thinner, less restless gentle man or woman? Dont mind the minimal extra weight of my full bag and much more comfy
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

pistonbroke wrote:I was bought an Alpkit quilt for Christmas having .....snip......It seems a bit short for my 6' height, does the drawcord at the top of the quilt serve any practical purpose?
I find the drawcord does a great job of flying around whenever you unpack, loft or move the quilt, usually then hitting me on a knuckle, tooth or other body part without padding. :roll:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I wonder if they suit the shorter, thinner, less restless gentle man or woman?
Yeah, I think that might be something. I was tossing and turning Sunday night thinking that no way a quilt would be still in place...

Sensible money is on keep the TNF bag, I’ve only really needed it the once so far. You can always unzip a Neutrino if it gets too hot... :lol: