what saddle are you using?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

what saddle are you using?

Post by ton »

because for the love of me, i cant get fecking comfy.

dont know if it is my new body parts that have changed my shape down there,but i have developed a pretty big boil to one side of my lower groin.

been using selle smp saddles for a few years, now cant sit on them without pain. put a old flat hard cube saddle on to ride home, it was a bit better but not great.
i have a unused b17 in my spare box, might try that on the tourer.

any reccommendations?
Teetosugars

Re: what saddle are you using?

Post by Teetosugars »

Brooks cambium fir me Tony.
Spotty Dog imho.
But it’s a personal thing, as you know.. what’s right for me, may not be the same for you...
Hope you find ‘the one’ and you can get back out there and enjoy it..
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Cambium C15s, one carved, one solid and two burgtec ‘the cloud’ with ti rails. And a C13 in the road bike

Find them all comfy in their own way. Which is strange as the cambiums are very curved and the clouds are really very flat. Would prefer the burgtecs to be a shade narrower but still rode (nearly all of) last years ht550 on one. Butride a C15the year before...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm pretty saddle agnostic. Spoons are good but the padding packs down too quickly. I have WTB, SDG Bel-air, Brooks B17 and a couple of Specialized. I'd go get your arse measured and try the latter.

Oh - and I usually wear some sort of padded shorts.
ton

Post by ton »

do specialized shops do measuring Colin?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

WTB rocket for multi days non-technical off road and its super comfy. charge spoon if messing about and need to get off the back easily, but I get sore on it with long days.

Road I have a specialized romin (155mm) but recently got a second hand Cobb max and both are great.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB speed for max comfort on mtbs, rocket for nearly as much comfort on the fargo. Good shorts help but won't make much difference if your saddle doesn't fit. I tried an ergon seat after following their sizing guide on the website. The resulting saddle is a bit too firm but OK.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ton wrote:do specialized shops do measuring Colin?
Yeah. They should have a wee board you sit on. Your sitbones make an impression and they measure the width. I'm.pretty much spot on 143mm.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Specialized romin at 155mm was recommended by a bike fit I had that did saddle pressure mapping. That was for road though. You're like me not a small bear so maybe you need a wider one too?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Had Charge Spoons for years until suddenly....... no! Just didn’t work

Just got a Fabric Scoop and seems better
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moder-dye wrote:WTB rocket for multi days non-technical off road and its super comfy. charge spoon if messing about and need to get off the back easily, but I get sore on it with long days
Spoons are relatively cheap and you can substitute the Gusset R Series/Madison Flux as they use the same shell. For me, it a question of throwing away Spoons annually or investing in a Specialized that lasts a lot longer.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bontrager saddles are good, 30 day money back guarantee. Can’t say fairer than that.

For me, Brooks Cambrian 17 as my bike is more upright, so a wider saddle is better
ton

Post by ton »

gonna have a trip to specialized store at the weekend.

never had my arse measured................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :-bd
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Madison flux here on 2 bikes, same shape as the spoon but the padding is slightly nicer I feel, have a spoon on my road bike and had another spoon before
ton

Post by ton »

spoon used to work.......not tried one for a few years.
infact harder saddles worked for years, then overnight i couldnt use on. sdg belair also worked, but now are shorter.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

SDG Bel-air for all day comfort. Fizik Aliante for when I'm feeling masochistic.

Greetz

S.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Worth shopping around for an older SDG Tony - they're by far the most comfortable for my (large) arse. A Formula FXR or an older Bel Air will still crop up occasionally.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

Brooks Cambium C15 carved on the commute/tourer, Fabric thingy on the Stooge, Ergon enduro model thing on the Whyte full sus and a Fizik Antares on the road/gravel bike.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

In Reverse wrote:Worth shopping around for an older SDG Tony - they're by far the most comfortable for my (large) arse. A Formula FXR or an older Bel Air will still crop up occasionally.

There is a rather fetching titanium railed leopardskin one on ebay just now ;)
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

I had an ooooold Bontrager saddle - was very comfy.

Currently using a Cambium 17 and it's by far the most comfy I've used in over 30 years riding.
Used to use Selle Italia Turbo saddles exclusively and they are very good. Have one on my commuter/day tourer and it's pretty comfy. They used to be THE preferred saddle of 1st car roadies - and for a good reason. Once your bum is a solid peanut they're just vaguely exciting. Mine isnt anywhere near solid peanut these days, so the Cambium is more comfy for me.

*I just discovered that if you type the word aws0me, it comes out as 'vaguely exciting' :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I think Spesh guarantee the comfort of their saddles, so you can swap sizes if it doesn't work

I seem to be saddle agnostic, although I rarely spend hours in the saddle. There's always a bit of on and off

I've not changed any of the saddles that came with bikes that I've bought, they just seem to work. Mind you, my arse was painful after a 45 mile day on my Brompton, I had a two hour ride home and was glad to get off the bike. When I've chosen the saddle it's been a madison flux/charge spoon, they're quite vanilla and seem to work for me
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Tony, I can't remember if I had any saddle problems once I got back riding after my op but it might be that you'd previously unconsciously adjusted for the discomfort and now there's some realignment going on. My knees played up for example until the muscles and skeleton got themselves sorted out.

It might not be your saddle - there's three things involved with two interfaces: your arse; the pad in the shorts; the saddle. If there's a mismatch then there'll be problems. The saddle on my commuter is fine with two of my padded shorts but the pad in my long legged bibs is just wrong for it somehow. Those bibs are fine on other saddles.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

Tony, I can't remember if I had any saddle problems once I got back riding after my op but it might be that you'd previously unconsciously adjusted for the discomfort and now there's some realignment going on. My knees played up for example until the muscles and skeleton got themselves sorted out.

Bob, I thought that could have something to do with it. like if I had been sat wonky for ages, and now I am sat straighter.
hurt like hell again this morning, had to ride in on one arse check. :lol:
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

SDG Bel Air for me.

I think Endura do bibs with different size pads depending on arse/saddle measurements, might be worth looking into?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

After my Brooks B17 changed into the saddle from hell I bought the cheapest WTB Rocket I could find for about £5 in a sale as it was 150 wide.
It was so comfortable that I upgraded to a Team 150 wide.
You could spend ages looking or you could strike lucky.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.