Fixing garmin 800s

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Fixing garmin 800s

Post by ianfitz »

One of my garmins has a fault. It still switches on when plugged in etc.

But the actual on switch seems to have failed. No ‘click’ sound like the other unit.

I was wondering how to fix it?

if these are available as a component

Are they simple to replace

Or, even better, if someone has the skills to do this I will happily pay in actual cash, beers, paying it forwards or secret cheeky Peak District knowledge :-bd
slarge

Re: Fixing garmin 800s

Post by slarge »

Ian, I stripped mine down as I was trying to get into the SD card slot and usb connector. I got the back off and couldn't see how to get any further - you really need to get the PCB out, but it's a knack I think.

Gave up on mine and have almost sold it (it's out on trial at the moment) - and bought a 1030. Many £££ but the screen is great, the bluetooth works, it connects to the phone and wifi and is pretty good - a much better unit than the 800. I struggled to connect it via a wired connection, but so far have got round that ok.

Might not be helpful...sorry.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Try the shiggle of buttons for a factory reset...
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Loki

Post by Loki »

Worth contacting Garmin about a repair, My touchscreen went wonky after a sweat/direct sunlight moment, they repaired it for free as they said it should not happen even out of warranty.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

How are you finding the Garmin 1030 from a bikepacking perspective?

Have a Garmin 1000, find the user interface “clunky” and outdated, the phone connection flaky, and the battery life too short.

The external power of the 1030 was interesting, shame no cable so can use a third party pack.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Quite impressed with the 1030 - it seems like Garmin have finally got their act together.

It connects to my phone and wifi no problem, the user interface is ok, just taking some getting used to. Bsttery life was about 16 hours last weekend and that was on a first charge from new, and you can use a normal battery pack connected via a lead as well as their own external battery pack. I haven't tried a dynamo yet, but I normally use a cache battery so it should be the same as a standard wired battery.