Despite your best efforts ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Despite your best efforts ...

Post by whitestone »

So the giveaway at the BB Winter Event was an insulated coffee mug.

"Aha!" I thought, the BBC have been harping on about the number of disposable coffee cups being used each year along with the plastic liner being really hard to separate for recycling plus there's the chance of a levy being introduced on each disposable cup. I'll do my bit :-bd

At the coffee shop, I ask for a coffee to take away and hand over the mug. The assistant takes the mug, fills a disposable cup then pours the contents into my mug and throws the paper/plastic cup into the bin :roll:

A bit of education required methinks.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Re: Despite your best efforts ...

Post by gairym »

:shock:
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Same almost everywhere. What they need is a metal measuring cup, or just to learn that your cup is the same size as a regular coffee.
It only takes a few tedious customers pointing this out everywhere before the message snowballs. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oli.vert wrote:Same almost everywhere. What they need is a metal measuring cup, or just to learn that your cup is the same size as a regular coffee.
It only takes a few tedious customers pointing this out everywhere before the message snowballs. :-bd
Other assistants at the same cafe have managed it (well once), plus they have ceramic cups that they use for the sit down customers so they can use those. I think my mug is too tall for their coffee machine.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I think that cup size uncertainty is often a factor in this.

Most decent barista types will work well with one of the keepcup options as they are standard sizes.

https://uk.keepcup.com/?country=United%20Kingdom
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

:roll:

Unsurprised though.

I've also had:
"no I can't use your [short, sealed vacuum flask] because you might spill it" <hands over composite cup with plastic lid> on a train
"no I can't not give you a plastic lid, even though you're going to sit down and drink it immediately, in an empty coffee shop, because health and safety" in (wait for it) a National Trust cafe

Oli.vert has it, though the nuclear option, which I've yet to resort to, is to decline to buy said coffee if it has to be in a disposable cup. Might cause wastage in the short term, and result in dangerous levels of decaffeination, but gets the message across, so probably worth it in the long run.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Or ask the person serving you why they are needing to use another cup? It could be a policy thing - possibly related to cross-contamination.

Go to a bar in Scotland to get your pint glass refilled from the pump and that's why you will be refused.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cross contamination might be an issue if the mug surrounded the pourer and the coffee in my mug touched it but it doesn't. You used to be able to get your beer glass refilled but that stopped many years ago and now you'll always get a new glass.

The machine in the cafe on the other side of work just does an espresso sized amount which they then top up with hot water from a separate source to make the Americano, no chance of overfilling. In this instance the contents of the disposable cup don't reach the rim of the mug so not a volume thing. As I said, they have cups for the sit in customers that they could use without any risk of cross contamination or getting the size wrong.

They aren't baristas though Ian, just cafe staff, whoever's free gets the next customer.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yeah, not reusing pint glasses is pretty universal in my experience, and not a problem because the glass isn't disposable. I remember someone telling me it was to do with deliberate contamination i.e. spiking drinks, but not sure about that.

In any case, as Bob says, it's not an issue if there's no contact, which there generally isn't. It might be "policy" but it's not common sense, and we need policies based on common sense. Too often "policy" or "health and safety innit" is used as an excuse for laziness, or just lack of common sense.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

thenorthwind wrote:Yeah, not reusing pint glasses is pretty universal in my experience, and not a problem because the glass isn't disposable. I remember someone telling me it was to do with deliberate contamination i.e. spiking drinks, but not sure about that.

In any case, as Bob says, it's not an issue if there's no contact, which there generally isn't. It might be "policy" but it's not common sense, and we need policies based on common sense. Too often "policy" or "health and safety innit" is used as an excuse for laziness, or just lack of common sense.

Reusing pint pots was banned due to dodgy land lords tipping drip trays back into casks. As no one seems to wash their hands after toilets trips, you don’t want the beer running down glasses with todger or arsewipe juice being put back in the cask to mix with the rest of the ale.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There you go. You just need your baristas to wear a new pair of disposable gloves for each cup they have to handle.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:There you go. You just need your baristas to wear a new pair of disposable gloves for each cup they have to handle.
Yes.

Apart from coffee not being kept in barrels under the shop :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

FFS Bob you are doing it all wrong as my picture clearly shows

Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
mh24

Post by mh24 »

Hi groovers, Another reason for the costas and starbucks not filling your own cups is prob because they would lose their brand name being "advertised" as people walk out of the shop??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

they would lose their brand name being "advertised" as people walk out of the shop??
... and from the hedges, gutters and verges.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given that the owner of this small chain of shops brought in the 5p charge for plastic carrier bags even though it didn't actually apply to them I can see him jumping at the chance to charge 25p for a paper cup when that levy is introduced :roll:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Keepcup user for two years now. Sum total of disposable cups used in that time 8. It lives in my commute bag. Separate REI thermal mug in the car.

I've adopted a stance as such.

Me: Hi, may I have a black coffee please? Also, can you make it directly into this?
*hand person cup*
Barista: Sure no problem!
Me: Thanks.

Option two:
Me: Hi, may I have a black coffee please? Also, can you make it directly into this?
*hand person cup*
Barista: No sorry we don't/won't do that. (Or) We'll make it in this then pour it in, is that ok?
Me: No thanks. Have a nice day.
*walk out of coffee shop, find next coffee shop*

In Manchester, there are now very few places where I get looked at with _that_ face when you hand them a Keepcup. My local coffee place gives a discount. The Nero gives double stamps. I don't tend to use Costa/Starbucks so don't know what they do. The vegetarian cafe I bought it from doesn't charge for the coffee you put in it when you buy lunch.

The reason I went to one, on campus they have done away with all ceramic mugs at the coffee outlets - which infuriates me. But, mostly I walk into the shared office,then make coffee with the espresso machine.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

mh24 wrote:Hi groovers, Another reason for the costas and starbucks not filling your own cups is prob because they would lose their brand name being "advertised" as people walk out of the shop??
Starbucks and Costa are happy with using your cup, Starbucks even give you discount for brining your own.

Coffee shops that use a machine to make the whole drink will have problems with tall mugs, whilst those that make it from an espresso should be fine
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This morning I rode to work rather than use the train so used the cafe on the "far" side of the office building. "Here's a reusable cup", "No problem". Filled with not a throwaway cup in sight. :-bd