Boners Bothy Guide.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Boners Bothy Guide.

Post by Ray Young »

After posting to ask a question about Burleywhag bothy I thought it might be an idea to start a thread detailing information about bothies that may be of interest to bikepackers. Things like state of repair, size, fireplace or not, ready fuel supply, popularity, does it get abused, ease of access, worthy local trails etc. Obviously don't post location of non MBA bothies.
Last edited by Ray Young on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Young

Re: Boners Bothy Guide.

Post by Ray Young »

I'm going to start with this as it's in a popular area.

Minch Moor, Innerleithen, Scottish Borders.

Sorry folks but it no longer exists. It was demolished due to the wooden foundations having rotted through. It is not being replaced. Still a good spot for a bivi where it stood as it's in a sheltered spot surrounded by forest. Innerleithen and Glentress trail centres nearby and lots of good natural stuff. Water is uphill to the left before you hit the forest road. Listen out for it as it's a very small stream and often covered by vegetation.
Last edited by Ray Young on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sounds a good idea Ray. (I did wonder where Burlywhag was or if it was a windup or some curious Scottish initiation ceremony! :lol: ) I think it's worth putting the date when you visited it, at least to year and month, to give an idea of freshness of information.

The last bothy I visited was Spithope https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/both ... /spithope/

Date of visit: 2017-12-28
State: Good
Size: One room with small table and sleeping platform for 6 on two levels (4+2). Cozy, or in estate agent terms - bijou!
Fire: wood burning stove
Fuel: There was some wood in the bothy but apparently there is wood available nearby.
Usage: There were 6 already there so two of us slept on the floor!
Access: Easy access along fire road for about 3Km from road then short path to cross burn (footbridge). BW access on east side of burn from Byrness
Last edited by whitestone on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Over Phawhope (MBA). Visited Dec 2015.

Scottish Borders, 10k ENE of Moffat on the Southern Upland Way

Medium size with main room, 1 large and 1 small sleeping rooms. Multi fuel stove, good fuel supply. Well looked after and popular. Not abused despite a tarmac road coming to within a few hundred metres of it (it's a long drive in). Access from Moffat by SUW is interesting. SUW apparently now has a high level route to it but I've not done it yet. Some good trails locally.
Last edited by Ray Young on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Yearning Saddle Refuge Hut, also known as Lamb Hill Refuge Hut. Cheviot Hills, Scottish Borders.

Technically not a bothy but used as one. Popular as it's on the Pennine Way. One small room, no fire. Good condition but last time I was there (2015) the roof was leaking in a couple of places over the seating benches which by the way are narrow and just about usable for sleeping on. Not abused as it's miles from anywhere. There is water available but you have to walk to it which I believe is about 100 metres away and may be difficult to locate in the dark.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:Yearning Saddle Refuge Hut, also known as Lamb Hill Refuge Hut. Cheviot Hills, Scottish Borders.

Technically not a bothy but used as one. Popular as it's on the Pennine Way. One small room, no fire. Good condition but last time I was there (2015) the roof was leaking in a couple of places over the seating benches which by the way are narrow and just about usable for sleeping on. Not abused as it's miles from anywhere. There is water available but you have to walk to it which I believe is about 100 metres away and may be difficult to locate in the dark.

I slept there on my second night of the Borders 350 attempt. It was a little damp in there. Good water just north. either descend or head north a bit then contour right to get to a good stream. ~200m from memory
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Kershopehead. Just on the English side of the Scottish border, SE of Newcastleton.

Visited August 2017.
One up, one down, loads of space - would easily hold a dozen in comfort.
Stove downstairs in good order.
Generally well kept.
Plenty of wood in wood store.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not a report but which bothy is the one pictured on this page? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42745491 The image is about 2/3rds the way down the page and says that it's north of Pitlochry.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ha, I've ID'd it :mrgreen:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:Ha, I've ID'd it :mrgreen:
So, go on then Phil, spill the beans :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I assume it's a bothy with a small "b"? I was actually more intrigued by the bridge.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Scotroutes is right, its only a bothy in the loosest possible sense of the term. I actually thought it was the one in the next wood east under the summit of carn dubh but according to my copy of 'Bothies, huts and howfs in Perthshire' its Kinnaird wood bothy at 965614. According to the guide its dropping to bits so only worth a look, not a stay over. I suspect the track(and bridge) was a previous version of the A994