Grips /bars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Grips /bars

Post by middleagedmadness »

Getting a slight pain in my right palm after about 50 miles , still got the original genesis bars on my longitude , not sure whether it's the original grips ( quite thin) , whether it's that I haven't cut the bars down still at 800mm or if I need to go down the alternative bar route ,thinking of cutting the bars down first as it's the cheapest option, any ideas out there or has anyone had similar problems
Cheers in advance
ton

Re: Grips /bars

Post by ton »

a pair of nice ergon grips should be a improvement.

and a 800mm bar is too wide..imho. bars should ideally be a couple of inches wider than your shoulder. not many men have 800mm wide shoulders.
middleagedmadness

I was gonna cut them down when I got it back in September as my others are 730mm and no pain ( albeit on a bouncy bike) ,are you on about the dragons with the palm pad if so off to the lbs before my ride today
Cheers ton
ton

Post by ton »

middleagedmadness

Them are the ones I was thinking of
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have Ergon GS2s on my bikepacking bike, they're great. The mini bar end thing is surprisingly useful for climbing out the saddle and the grips themselves are so comfy that I've binned my alt bars and gone back to conventional low risers (albeit in carbon).
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

middleagedmadness wrote:Them are the ones I was thinking of
I've got a pair of those in the garage somewhere, I think they're the small ones. I couldn't get on with them and neither could wifey. You can have them postage.
middleagedmadness

Cheers piranha but after checking the measurements I think I'm the larger size
middleagedmadness

Bars chopped down to 720 and a blast along the tow paths / banks yesterday and they seem a bit better dragons ordered so Tues I'll give my 70 mile chase loop ago and see if the palms are any better cheers for the advice and offer of grips
middleagedmadness

Got the gs2 by mistake but the little endies are quite comfortable , after a few little tweaks of the grips they seem to have stopped the problem
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find that running 25.4mm bars makes quite a difference to comfort.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I cut the bars down on my longitude to about 760 and put on some Superstar silicon grips (ESI clones) way better than the stock setup for long rides.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I know it's fashionable to have wide bars but there's an individual limit beyond which you'll struggle. Cath got 800mm Moto bars on her Stooge, she's not tall and they were so wide she couldn't get up out of the saddle with any comfort. I'm probably average size and they were way too wide for me. They've been cut down to 700mm and are much better *for her*.

The size of your hands will also affect what tape/grips you use as again there's a natural size that's best for you. Too small and you'll tyre your hands very quickly, too big and you won't feel like you'll be able to grip the bars properly.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Always used the thick lizard skins tape on drop bars and never had bars more than 740 mm so I don't know why I never cut them down when I got the bike , now they are at 720 and with those grips the last couple of rides have been fine ,now it's just to find a solution to stop the screws in my ankle freezing my foot off when it's cold ,never tried 25 mm bars I haven't really seen them when I've been looking at new bars ,at least for the moment I've saved a couple of hundred quid not going down the Jones route yet
samcallard

Post by samcallard »

Really enjoyed ESI chunkys (chunkies?) on my Jones bars for the Café Racer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've ESI Chunky grips on the Jones Loops on the fat bike. I'm not totally convinced by them TBH, most of the time they are fine but last year on the Rovaniemi I did have some nerve damage/discomfort. That could have been a side effect of my hands getting cold (a different kit failure story), I'm not sure.

I've recently double taped some drop bars on one bike because they are pretty harsh. The base tape is 2mm I think and the extra tape is 3.5mm. Very comfy so far but I've not done any off-road with it. I put some 37mm tyres on it this week in the hope of getting out on it this weekend but there's a lot of snow about so it's probably the fat bike.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
middleagedmadness

Think it's 3.2 lizard skins on my Boardman cx with 35 tyres and it's comfortable enough for 20/30 miles of tow bank ( very few are actually tow paths by me)/ bridleways