Bike lust.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Re: Bike lust.....

Post by gairym »

Oooh, nice! I'm going to make a list of all my bikes now too.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Certainly some nice bikes there Tony and a very varied list. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bloody 'ell Ton, that's a lot of bikes.. and why not, good reason for it. A few on there I wanted at the time, DB Axis was a looker.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And none of them a fatbike....
ton

Post by ton »

this model James. even raced on it a few times.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/downlo ... p?id=56434
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i rode my jones plus 25 model at the bearbones cafe racer i found it to be the most comfortable bike ever ridden,can get the bars higher than the seat to ease back pain from 2 major operations ive had in the past,hands dont go numb either like they did on the surly ecr,the truss fork is so compliant i could just rip downhill with such confidence,dont need to use a bag harness as a dry bag just wedges in under the loop bars and rest on the top of fork.

got mine set up with a 10mm spacer under the bottom headset cup to slacken the front end even more,rear mud clearance is plenty with a maxxis minnion 29x3,

building up another set of wheels for the torino nice got some 30mm rims and 2.1 nano tyres,the jones frame bag is massive too can get a ton of food in there.

at first i thought it was a lot of money to pay for a frame but then you cant put a price on comfort and how much it makes you happy,some bikes suit people and some dont its a personal choice at the end of the day.

i remember paying £750 for a 36 volt circular saw but after using it nearly every day for 9 years and its still going well,you get what you pay for in life and if its your hobby or your trade then buying the top end gear can be the cheapest way in the long run. :mrgreen:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

They sort of said maybe...

"Hi Shawn,
Thanks for your interest in our framesets! On a purely geometry-based level, the short reach of Jeff's frames makes them more similar to frames that are designed for drop bars than those frame for flat bars. That said, the H-Bars and framesets are designed as parts of a single unit, and in combination is where you get the full benefit of each. How did you have your H-Bars set up in the past? I've talked with quite a few riders who are unsure as to whether the H-Bars will work for them until they get them set up the way we recommend. After that, they're able to get the full range of positions and really reap the full benefits of the H-Bars which opens up a whole new level of comfort and control.

I would recommend checking out the H-Bar Manual and this video, both of which give basic fit information which will help in figuring out the best position. You'll also want to make sure to get the longer grips that we offer for the H-Bars because they are key to getting the full range of positions, and therefore comfort, with the H-Bars.

To sum up, it might be possible to use drops on a Jones, but it certainly wouldn't be ideal. A Jones H-Bar, correctly set up, will give you a much wider range of useful and unique positions, more control in all conditions, and more comfort so you can ride longer, so I would really recommend sticking with H-Bars.

If you have more in-depth questions about the fit and setup, I would recommend giving Jeff a call at (541) 535-2034. The video above is great at explaining the position he's going for, but it could be that a quick phone chat could help get more insight into your unique fit situation.

Let me know if you have any other questions!"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is bugging me now - why do they feel long to me? Could it be because they're often fitted with longer stems by taller riders? Maybe I've started with 'old mans trousers' early in life and my body is now 1/3 shorter than it should be?

May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

i found it to be the most comfortable bike ever ridden

i will second that.......comfort was never a problem
i may have been quite harsh dissing my jones. i owned it when i was unable to ride it properly, to its potential.
the main issue i had was the clearance.

i still love the look of them, and would love to try one once i a, fit.
maybe one day............... :wink:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:This is bugging me now - why do they feel long to me? Could it be because they're often fitted with longer stems by taller riders? Maybe I've started with 'old mans trousers' early in life and my body is now 1/3 shorter than it should be?

i have a 50mm 20 degree rise stem on mine with a straight seatpost,
johnb

Post by johnb »

I don't have to lust after that bike, I have an inheritance coming in about 6 months. I have only ever bought second hand up to now and I am seriously thinking of having a bespoke bike made. I have 2 Rohloff equipped touring bikes but they just arent working for me off road. As I have severe arthritis in one knee and working springer spaniel which needs at least 2.5 hours off the lead, off road exercise a day I am going to have to buy another Rohloff bike. Its not that I haven't got a mountain bike I have two both a little battered and worn but perfectly useable, I just hate derailleur. The constant replacement of chain rings chains etc. I can not get the indexing right when it needs adjusting and I have no interest in doing so. Now I did have Thorn Raven Enduro with Rohloff which would work perfectly.... alas it had no fittings for racks and the rear was not supposed to carry weight. IE the old man mountain rack sorted the rear out but Thorn stated that it should carry no more than 10 kilo on road. I am constantly foraging if nothing else there is always wood to pick up, so I got rid. Alas the arthritis just won't alowe me to walk for 2.5 hours, no matter how slow I walk. A fat bike looks like an interesting option as long as it take a rear rack and front portmanteau rack which take panniers to. Need a decent clearance for the pedals as I find the clips are catching the ground when I have them underneath (when I am wearing boots). Basically I thinking am looking at an off road touring bike. A strengthened mountain bike with all the braze ons etc? Shand and Sven are looking the most likely but this from Sven might be going a touch to far!!
https://www.svencycles.com/customer-sto ... ager-bike/
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

johnb

Post by johnb »

Looked and liked......sooooo many options. So many places to go to test ride!! Thanks windjammer I would consider it and bring it back and forget to pay customs.....Joking...honest.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thought I'd reopen the title. I'm currently suffering from bike Lust. It happens to me every now and then and I usually either splash a little too much cash on something I don't need or I ride what I have and get over it. But this time its coming at me from all directions :grin:

Fairlight Secan

Swarf Spline 29

Nordest Bardino

I'm getting seriously close to selling an organ here..
Someone make them stop :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Ohh I like the secan, a classic beauty :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm so glad I don't get this. I spend next to nothing on bikes compared to a lot of you guys.

I often wonder what some of you do for a living! :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

ha ha, I'm better than i used to be. My most recent bike is a 2017 frame only buy at half price. 2015 before that.

doesnt stop me wanting though :grin:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I was lucky to get a Secan on the early bird offer when they where first announced. Its superb. A lot of thought has been put into it and it shows.