Cafe Racer GR are GO.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

cyclingtiger

Re: Cafe Racer GR are GO.

Post by cyclingtiger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Must read email properly, then a second time :wink:
As I wasn't the one to pay the entries for us, I never saw the actual email. However, Mrs CT can easily get distracted by the presence of grid references. I may have to ask her to forward it on to me so I can see what the original intention was.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Must read email properly, then a second time :wink:
I was just glad I wasn't the only one!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dee reckons I both write and speak in 'Derbyshire' which tends to mean that the message I'm trying to convey is directly opposite to whatever is written or said ... but I don't think I'm guilty in this instance :wink:

From the email
Perhaps unsurprisingly, your destination for the 'Cafe Racer' is a cafe but not just any cafe. You’ll be heading for Glyndwr’s Way Cafe at Bwlch-y-Sarnau (SO 029746) It’s somewhere many of you will have fond memories of from the 2016 BB200. Belinda and staff will have the doors open from 1.00pm until 6.00pm on Saturday with complimentary hot drinks for the weary two wheel traveller … but bring cake money.

There’s no right or wrong way to get there, the route you choose is entirely up to you. The list of grid references below may serve as an aid to help narrow things down and point you in roughly the right direction … use some, use all or use none. All GR are covered by OS Explorer 214 and 215 and please make sure the route you plan is on legal RoW.
May the bridges you burn light your way
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Dee reckons I both write and speak in 'Derbyshire' which tends to mean that the message you're trying to convey is directly opposite to whatever is written or said ... but I don't think I'm guilty in this instance :wink:

From the email
Perhaps unsurprisingly, your destination for the 'Cafe Racer' is a cafe but not just any cafe. You’ll be heading for Glyndwr’s Way Cafe at Bwlch-y-Sarnau (SO 029746) It’s somewhere many of you will have fond memories of from the 2016 BB200. Belinda and staff will have the doors open from 1.00pm until 6.00pm on Saturday with complimentary hot drinks for the weary two wheel traveller … but bring cake money.

There’s no right or wrong way to get there, the route you choose is entirely up to you. The list of grid references below may serve as an aid to help narrow things down and point you in roughly the right direction … use some, use all or use none. All GR are covered by OS Explorer 214 and 215 and please make sure the route you plan is on legal RoW.
:-bd
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Dee reckons I both write and speak in 'Derbyshire' which tends to mean that the message you're trying to convey is directly opposite to whatever is written or said ... but I don't think I'm guilty in this instance :wink:

From the email

When it was pointed out to me that I might want to re-read the email it was obvious. It's just nice knowing there is at least one other idiot out there :lol: :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When Stu first mentioned the title of this year's event I had dreams of idyllic riding through the Mid-Wales countryside between eating establishments. Then Stu sent the grid refs and normality was restored :lol:

Having planned a very ambitious route to visit all the grid refs despite having never ridden in Mid-Wales for my first winter event and been slapped down (2106) then planned a more sensible route but turned up on silly bikes (2017), this year I planned a sensible route with loops out to most of the grid refs so that we could adjust our plans on the fly according to conditions and time. Our original plan was for about 117km over the two days with about 20-25% off road. We ended up doing 108km having skipped a couple of grid refs due to time constraints.

Years of experience have led me to include Cath in the planning of such adventures otherwise the results can be painful :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

This was the first time for me having to plot a route in mid Wales too. Figured out a nice 80 mile loop which took in most of the GRs. Figured out some nice shortcuts incase we fell behind. Scoped out some likely looking bivvy spots.

Then the day before, saw Steve had a gpx promising some sweet hafren singletrack so promptly threw my carefully laid plans out and went in search of that.

Totally overreached ourselves and didn't even get close to the Cafe before closing time :roll:
Hoff

Post by Hoff »

Quite strangely we managed to find loads of Churches & Chapels this year...didn't see any last year. Thankfully managed to plot a route that avoided tussocks, bogs & hike-a-bikes, I didn't even get lost. Even the weather was kind (so glad it wasn't this weekend)

Really good so see a few familiar faces & some new ones along the way.

Thanks again Stuart & Dee for the organisation & especially the tea, toast & cake.