Forks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Forks

Post by Zippy »

Have a new bike in the making. I require some forks - can people give me ideas/suggestions for the following spec as I'm a bit stuck!

29er (say 100mm travel, or rigid equivalent).
110mm boost
E2 tapered steerer (that's 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" tapered iirc)
G2 geometry (51mm offset, not the standard 42mm).

Looking for bouncy options and rigid.

Cheers! Image
wriggles

Re: Forks

Post by wriggles »

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Fox SC29.

Very impressed at mine so far. Usual forks for the past few years are Fox Float 29 or RS SIDs.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

That sir is legendary.
GregMay wrote:Fox SC29.

Very impressed at mine so far. Usual forks for the past few years are Fox Float 29 or RS SIDs.
Yes, I love my fox float 32's that are on my full sus and on my xc race whippet back in the day - they were just a bit pricey, but wriggles link above is ace and I shall deffo be getting them. :-bd

Also on the lookout for some rigids for when the occasion appears. Found some on eBay that look the business - however I'm unsure as to whether I can trust £81 of china's finest carbon!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Also on the lookout for some rigids for when the occasion appears. Found some on eBay that look the business - however I'm unsure as to whether I can trust £81 of china's finest carbon!
That's what I've been using on my Pact. It was a bit of a punt but Shand are using the same forks on one if their models so I feel slightly more reassured.

Make sure you order them WITH axle.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This is the one I came across on eBay: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272139490738

Is that the set you have Colin?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's the fellas..

I think Kinesis are now badging them too

https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b1 ... Fork/RS_GB

I also saw them on a German site - at around £450 iirc.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yes, Kinesis have a great history with their carbon fork choices over the years.....
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Worth noting on that Fox sale I linked above the Forks with "Ped" in the description aee the heavier version for e-bikes with 34mm stanchions with thicker walls and 32 internals.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GregMay wrote:Yes, Kinesis have a great history with their carbon fork choices over the years.....

My DC19s are 7 years old now. Should I expect imminent death? :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Anyone happen to come across these before: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223103554174

I'm not sure if they're a 51mm offset. i have asked them, but was wandering if anyone here happened to know!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Niner forks are 51mm, a bit spendy though.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

When it comes to suspension, FOX.
Absolutely loving mine and - on former bikes now ridden by mates - seeing them still going strong with little care after up to 11 years. 11.

Never got warm with the 32 models. My weight and riding don't go well with the flex they offer. If you're light and/or don't intend to ride hard they are absolutely fine. If not, 34s. Even the cheaper non factory options with the Grip cartridges are stunning.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I tend to agree with Gian on the fox comment. Altjougg i do have I some 32s. I also have some RS pikes. Both 120mm.
The fox are better. Older by a couple of years but still better. Pikes are stiffer but thebsuspension perfornance is better in the fox.
Not sure why the reviews make the pikes to be then best thing since sliced bread but they do. Don't get me wrong, they're nice and work well.

Zipp. If you see carbon products from Chinese firms it's sometimes worth asking them for test reports. Quite often they will share them without you having to convince them you are a bulk buyer etc. I've had experience of this with positive results.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks All.

Yeah I bought Foxes way back when i first posted this, quite happy with them :-bd (although my recent off has meant I'm gonna have to reset the damper and lockout gubbins!).

What I never did was buy the rigid forsk, and the original ebay set I've found are no longer listed, so struggling to find a set of boost forks with a 51mm offset. I got a response from the seller, they're 45mm offset (and don't do a 51mm version).

Might have to think about geo Image
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Travers prong is 47mm
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Zippy - may be worth giving Russ at Stand a call, as they may have some of those original carbons you were looking at, or offer an alternative?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks both.

I managed to source the carbon forks I'm after. Only small thing is that the brake hose routing is internal - which I'd like if it was going to be a permie fork, but as I'm planning on swapping it a few times a year, I'd rather not have to rebleed the brake each time. So I've bought a little cable routing thingy to rivet on :ugeek:

So yeah, carbon rigid fork with 51mm offset and boost compatible - sorted. :-bd I'll post the ebay link if anyone else needs it.

(truth of the matter is, I'm not 100% sure how much I'd notice, but I'd rather stick with the stock geo as I quite like it as is!)
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Yeah, I have the same problem with internal routing and fork swappage. Tempted to buy another front brake......
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'd be interested in a link please
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:I'd be interested in a link please
These are the forks I have purchased: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202428236085
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hello all.

Anyone know much about the various models of fox forks and the inner workings of them?

So I purchased the fox forks 29 step cast GRIP forks. I had the remote GRIP lockout on them, and I managed to have a fairly big crash (broke/cracked my ribs) and I've never been able to get the lockout working properly again since due to a variety of reasons. I need a new topcap interface assembly.

Whilst I'm there, it's not much more money to buy the whole assembly you swap in the fork leg.

How many parts would i need to swap to get them up to fox FIT4 standards of damping? I'm by no means disappointed in GRIP...just whilst I'm there...

If someone can point me in the direction of the diagrams and part numbers to look up, that would be ace. I just don't quite know enough.

Ta :cool:
Last edited by Zippy on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’d like to add x-fusion forks into the mix. I just fitted a set of Slide 29er forks to my Fargo. £200 brand new. 80-120mm adjustable travel. 32mm stanchions.
I was very sceptical but am impressed so far. They are working very well. I’ve dropped the travel with no problems. They have the option for remote lock out. They are 200-300g heavier than Fox for example but so far that’s the only downside. They are 51mm trail.
I only ended up with them because I needed a 9mm QR compatible fork with a long steerer and it was these or nothing pretty much. Just need to see how they go long term. Reviews are good for reliability though.
Performance wise I can’t fault them. I haven’t had suspension in a while and i’m Mostly used to simple ones like old Pace or Marzochi Bombers. The x-fusions have taken the sting out of trails for me and allowed me to rack up a load of pb’s and even a few kom’s On my local trails. All good really.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Doing some reading - GRIP seems to be pretty good, and as I have no problems with it, I think I'll stick with it!

Useful commentary here of all places!: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... -float-34/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:27 pm I’d like to add x-fusion forks into the mix. I just fitted a set of Slide 29er forks to my Fargo. £200 brand new. 80-120mm adjustable travel. 32mm stanchions.
I was very sceptical but am impressed so far. They are working very well. I’ve dropped the travel with no problems. They have the option for remote lock out. They are 200-300g heavier than Fox for example but so far that’s the only downside. They are 51mm trail.
I only ended up with them because I needed a 9mm QR compatible fork with a long steerer and it was these or nothing pretty much. Just need to see how they go long term. Reviews are good for reliability though.
Performance wise I can’t fault them. I haven’t had suspension in a while and i’m Mostly used to simple ones like old Pace or Marzochi Bombers. The x-fusions have taken the sting out of trails for me and allowed me to rack up a load of pb’s and even a few kom’s On my local trails. All good really.
Got a link? Do they come in 130mm flavours