Hooks - bothy movie

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Hooks - bothy movie

Post by Blackhound »

I watched this Youtube film last night (almost two hours in length) of a guy who walked from near Hastings to all the bothies in the UK to put up a hook (there are never enough!) and back home again taking seven months during 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesqy-8gIYY

A bit off topic as it is a walking film but we will all recognise a few locations. I did see that John Climber mention it in the midst of a thread some time ago but thought i would highlight it again as people may have a couple of hours spare over the next few weeks.

I first heard of the walker, Stephen Pern, about 5 years ago when I picked up this book in a second hand bookshop in Hay on Wye:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Divide-S ... ephen+pern

He walked the Great Divide making up his own route from Antelope Wells back in 1982 as the current long distance trail had not been established. I seem to recall he was disappointed that there was no pie shops in Pie Town
GregMay

Re: Hooks - bothy movie

Post by GregMay »

That book on the Divide is excellent, well worth a read.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I watched "Hooks" a while ago, I think after a recommendation on here.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it gave me a fresh (or at least renewed) perspective on long distance, self-propelled travel, which I think makes it very much on-topic here. Most of my bikepacking is more "smash-and-grab," try and squeeze as much into as short a time as possible to fit round other hobbies and general "life" and I haven't done any multi-day walking in years. This made me pine for a longer, slower-paced trip, but more importantly, a real sense of journeying through a landscape (I liked the geology angle :geek: ) that the film portrayed so well. The fact that he left from home and the (somewhat contrived) purpose of the trip gave it a kind of authenticity - travelling to get somewhere, as opposed to wandering aimlessly as we so often do ("It's about the journey, not the destination" is an oft-repeated cliche, but perhaps we miss something in adhering to it too slavishly?).

I think this morning's Christmas shopping might have made me prematurely philosophical :|

I hadn't realised he'd written a Divide book. He also has a film about walking through Japan, which I really must try and watch.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

GregMay wrote:That book on the Divide is excellent, well worth a read.
Early in the book the author describes having a "celebratory piss" when crossing the Divide, proper bloke!!
smartay

Post by smartay »

Really enjoyed the film, I suppose thats the thing about retirement (presume he's retired) gives you the time if you have the inclination to undertake these projects.
After six months out of house and garden boy would you have some catching up to do:)
ton

Post by ton »

i have just watched Hooks. bloody fantastic.
i asked for some inspiration on another thread. that bloke as just brought it in shedloads.......... :cool:
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd can't wait to watch this tonight just watched 5mins of it and looks fab. Cheers for the link and what a great idea
psling

Post by psling »

Have just watched this during a lazy morning. Thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks for the heads-up Kevin.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Now that was the best film iv seen all year, I really enjoyed it and what a guy how inspirational. Cheers kev for the post!!
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Just watched it too, great film :-bd
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Better late than never! I intended to watch this weeks ago.
A really good way to spend a wet morning, highly recommended.
I`ve been feeling a little flat lately but this vid helps greatly to get me out of the door.