Is it just me?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Is it just me?

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Disappointing, but quite understandable, for the reasons already articulated above. You should look at how much the triathlon community are willing to pay for the bragging rights of being an Ironman...

Like anything else it does come down to supply & demand rather than tangible value (if there is such a thing) and fortunately we still have the freedom to just go riding if we don't want the 'enhancements' of an event.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

I think that a lot of our comments reflect on how the prices of these events has jumped up for next year. I think the Reiver has gone from £40 to £70 since last year? I didn't baulk at the first year and was considering going again this year (its a good, well run event) but that price hike just made it a non starter.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Supply and demand innit. DR was 40 quid at first to get interest in a niche area of bike riding. Now its dead popular they bung the prices up as they know people will pay. And I guess people are trying to make a decent living out of this to reward what will be a lot of work to get them organised so you pays your money and takes your choice I guess.

Plus given how much dosh we all lay out on bikes and bikepacking kit we are in the same boat as someone shelling out 60 quid to ride round sitka spruce trees all day.....
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dirty Reiver sold out quickly last year.
Just had a look and there are still 294 places left.
Looks like others are thinking the same as well
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote:Dirty Reiver sold out quickly last year.
Just had a look and there are still 294 places left.
Oh good. I'm currently dithering due to a lack of decent mileage recently.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Having declared myself out of DR18, this thread has made me re-think; whilst not inexpensive, it is well run, and where else can you do a 200km gravel race in the UK?
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Having declared myself out of DR18, this thread has made me re-think; whilst not inexpensive, it is well run, and where else can you do a 200km gravel race in the UK?
It's not a race, it's a timed ride so just turn up there any weekend with some sandwiches and a watch ;) Actually the 80 mile point is almost back where you started so no need to even carry the sandwiches!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Having declared myself out of DR18, this thread has made me re-think; whilst not inexpensive, it is well run, and where else can you do a 200km gravel race in the UK?
It's only a race if you stand the chance of standing on a podium. Other wise you are just making up the numbers to make the winners feel better and paying for the top riders free entries ;-)