Helmet mounted light

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Helmet mounted light

Post by ootini »

I'm thinking of getting a helmet mounted light, to back up my bar mounted unit. The Exposure Joystick looks good, but any alternatives I should be looking at ?
sean_iow

Re: Helmet mounted light

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a joystick mk11 which was on special now the mk12 is out. Can't fault it, good mount, good run time. I have it on the 3/10 hr programme most of the time and is plenty bright enough for my riding.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I got the axis for a few more grams and a bit more lumens. Mainly because I only wanted a single helmet light, nothing on the bars.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

So far as I’m aware all the exposure helmet lights have the same battery.

On full power:
The monster one runs for 30 minutes!
Diablo for 1 hour
Joystick for 1:30

If you’ll nearly always be running them for time then there’s actually no difference in brightness. (Or minimal)

Ive used some cheap Chinese lights as helmet lights but have put a Diablo and a joystick through several winters of daily use with minimal issues.

If I was having to buy another I’d get a joystick and consider an Mtbbatteries extra cell if I needed to run it bright for longer than the run time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Similar to everyone else ... I bought a joystick about 5 years ago. It seemed like a lot of money at the time but has proved well worth it.

Mike uses a 'Zebra' light which I've also been impressed with over the years.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As Ian says, the Exposure lights use the same battery form (18650) in a couple of capacities which you can find on their website.

I've the Joystick (Mk11 I think) which is fine for low tech level riding, I'd definitely want something with more oomph if I was riding fast down technical trails. I cycle (sic) through the power levels depending on whether I'm going up or down hill. One charge is enough for a decent length trip if you select the right programme - the most economical programme gives in the region of 36hrs run-time on the lowest power setting.

Road.cc have done a light comparison test http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/212 ... n-plus-how which is useful. Make sure you check both sides of the image as objects on the left of the lane are closer than those on the right so appear brighter.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I got a mk12 joystick in the black Friday 31% off at evans making it 109...though I traded £50 of Tesco vouchers which gets you £100 at evans so it only cost £9 in actual money

Only been out with it once but for normal riding it seemed fine, full power is really bright. Would want something on the bars to for crashing round a trail centre but that's unlikely to happen.

It's also so small I can chuck it (and a red eye micro) in my bag just in case I get caught out later than planned
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

restlessnative wrote:It's also so small I can chuck it (and a red eye micro) in my bag just in case I get caught out later than planned
I leave mine on my lid all the time as it's light enough not to notice. I think car drivers see it and think it might be a camera so give a little more room when passing. Obviously not all car drivers notice it, like the one this morning who passed me with inches to spare, not really their fault though, it was only half light and raining and they'd forgotten to put their lights on so surprised they could even see where they were going :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger