Winter boots

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Winter boots

Post by Taylor »

Slightly off topic,
For the loons that've done the likes of rovaniemi before, what did you wear on your plates of meat?
Chicken Legs

Re: Winter boots

Post by Chicken Legs »

I was thinking something similar but with the ability to be comfortable for hikeabike
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I went with some mountaineering boots, Scarpa Phantom Guides, that I already had. My wife had 45Nrth Wolvhammers. If I hadn't already got the Scarpas then I'd have got myself a pair of Wolvhammers. Whatever you get make sure you've plenty of room, go up at least a size, tight boots mean cold feet. In decent conditions, which we had this year, then there's only a couple of short sections of hike-a-bike on the Rovaniemi 150.

I also used plastic flat pedals to reduce the heat sink effect - whether that made any difference whatsoever I've no idea.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bontrager O M W boots, nice boots to be fair. I really suffer with cold extremities but these worked great.

Top tip, I needed to go up 2 euro sizes to get a thick sock in and wear them loose, so your circulation is improved.

Head over to STW (once it's fixed) as they've done a winter boot test
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Bontragers look good, goes to shake piggy bank :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I used flat pedals in Rovaniemi. I wore merino liner socks, knee high seal skins and Merrell Moab Polar boots. They were perfect with ankle gaiters to stop snow getting in. I didn't want to buy wolvhammers etc as they can't really be worn off the bike and cost about double what the Merrells cost which I still wear for winter beach walks, etc.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'll be in Lapland for a week in just over a week (woo hoo!!)

I'll be wearing Scarpa SL Activ boots, with thick wool mix socks, or maybe two pairs.

Currently untested, I've worn these to do some spring/summer mountain walks so i'm hoping they're OK, should be.

I've decked the kids and the wife out in Sorel winter boots
gairym

Post by gairym »

Taylor, check out the 'Bugaboot II' by Columbia.

Can be found for about 80 of your English squids if you shop around online and they're great.

I wear them instead of my Wolvhammer as they're warmer and comfier.

Good down to -32°c and weigh nowt.

Perfectly good for walking/hiking too.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I have just inherited a set of Gaerne winter boot things.

They are nicely oversized so I wear a summer merino sock then a thicker sock. In the cold they have been great, before this i wore Shimano Am jobbies so these are a big improvement.

The issue I have is with water getting in the top.

I was just about to post a what gaiter should I go for thread but will semi highjack this one for now.

So, what waterproof gaiter that'll seal well on my leg?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Mbnut wrote: The issue I have is with water getting in the top.

I was just about to post a what gaiter should I go for thread but will semi highjack this one for now.

Montane endurance pro for the win.
Got a pair last year and not used them until the weekend gone and they were ace. :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Taylor wrote:

Got a pair last year and not used them until the weekend gone and they were ace. :-bd

I thought you were happy with your boots?? Change of plans? I can just feel my toes today!!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

rufus748 wrote:
Taylor wrote:

I thought you were happy with your boots?? Change of plans? I can just feel my toes today!!
I am, these are for Finlandia next week. Not bike related, hence the off topic bit at the start.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Edit: for those opening this and thinking about cycling wear......

I have a pair of the Bontrager OMWs. They're warm. Very warm. In fact, I've only worn them three times as it's rarely been cold enough and my alternative option has been working fine.

The separate inner bootie looks like it could be a good bothy boot but the sole isn't that robust so you might want to team it up with a pair of crocs or something.

The outer cuff cinches down quite well in an attempt to stop water ingress. It looks like it would work fairly well, but it's never going to be completely water-tight.

I usually wear a size 7.5 or 8. I bought a size 9 and glad I did or there would be no room for thick socks. I can imagine the internal insulation and insole might pack down a little over time.

For gaiters, I've tried a few. The normal "walkers" gaiters are all much of a muchness and will certainly prevent a lot of splash-back from running into your boots. However I always find that water running down from above gaiter level eventually gets in at the top because the "seal" at the cord-cinch isn't very good. Gore do a runners gaiter - the X-Runner. It is a lot thinner than the usual walkers gaiters and the top seals much better against your leg as it's just pulled tight at the back and velcroed. They're only covering the ankle though, so less overall coverage against splashes. My only other concern is that the under-foot strap isn't particularly robust and is stitched on. I can imagine this might wear if you're regularly walking on rough terrain, especially if your boots have little or no instep. I'm sure something else could be bodged on though - just some sort of velcro strap would do it.

FWIW, the OMW boots also have a little gaiter attachment loop on top of the foot.

Let me know if any photos would be of use.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I have a pair of Meindl winter boots ( great but heavy) and also a pair of Teva chair 5's, they're light
Packable,separate inner boot etc, got mine fairly cheap but thin on the ground ( :oops: ) now,
They have another called the high line wp now, look good too :-bd
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Taylor wrote:
rufus748 wrote:
Taylor wrote:

I am, these are for Finlandia next week. Not bike related, hence the off topic bit at the start.
Ah, missed the OT bit, really liked yours, much ebay searching going on....
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

rufus748 wrote:
Taylor wrote:
rufus748 wrote:
Taylor wrote:

Ah, missed the OT bit, really liked yours, much ebay searching going on....
Missed that too! I've used The North Face Chillkat boots for Rovaniemi (both on the bike and off)