Peak advice please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Peak advice please

Post by ChrisF »

I've been attempting Bivvy a Month this year and got one in every month except August due to last minute work problems :cry:
Anyway, they have all been based in and around the Peak cos that's where I live and I wondered if you lot had any suggestions for 'under cover' bivvy spots? I've stayed at Lower Small Clough cabin, and the walkers shelter below Whinstonelee Tor but don't know any others that are accessible by MTB. Barns, cabins, ruins whatever, just need a floor and (preferably) a roof. Feel free to message me if you don't want to advertise the spot!
Thanks in advance.
PaulB

Re: Peak advice please

Post by PaulB »

Easy ones for starters - Parsley Hay stone shelter adjacent to the HPT. Hartington Signal Box (late arrival ;). Monsal Station on the Monsal Trail. Odins Cavern (not the mine) bottom of the old road Mam Tor. Suicide Pot entrance 10m in, bottom of Winnats.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

There’s good shelter from northerly winds under a roof either high or low at the popular (south-east) end of stanage. It’s right under the trig point. Follow the obvious track off the road for a couple hundred meters. Many of the gritstone edges and boulders have small caves or roof features that provide good shelter

Bothies are lacking in the Peak. Most of the shooting cabins are locked. Usually. Sometimes you get lucky. Not often though

There’s an open sided place in the old house above rowlee farm. It’s used by sheep too. Used to be a small wooden false-floor platform in there but not looked recently. SK 15977 89213
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks guys, will check those out. Maybe one will do for my December BAM.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm keeping my eye on this thread, good for future reference

I really enjoyed my trip to the Peaks and will definitely be heading back next year. Use of a bothy or shelter is a great back up plan
RIP

Post by RIP »

One of the spots that tickled me the most was Ian's kip inside one of the Monsal Trail tunnels :smile:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

RIP wrote:One of the spots that tickled me the most was Ian's kip inside one of the Monsal Trail tunnels :smile:.
Dry, regular temperature and close to the stables bar. Whats not to like :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

ianfitz wrote:Whats not to like :wink:
The regular temperature.
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Cheers ChrisF

WhinstoneLee Tor last night for our winter Solstice bivvy was excellent.

I guess if the wind & rain came from the wrong direction it might get unpleasant though.

@PaulB - will explore suicide Pot - for one of the forthcoming ones - 3 more to do a full 12 months.