Bike Locks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Willow16

Bike Locks

Post by Willow16 »

What do fellow members use to secure their bikes whilst bikepacking? I'm not too worried about security whilst camping / bivvying,, as I'm usually out of sight, but when I pop into a store in a town to pick up food etc, what should I use? Think lightweight here please.
Jurassic pusher

Re: Bike Locks

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Hi Willow, I just use an old small chain combination lock, it takes up no space in my seat bag the main problem being finding it means unpacking everything!
TBH I have more concerns of lights/GPS getting nicked when the bike is left outside a shop.
To be fair though, I think a bike loaded with bags and mud may not look too appealing.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Normally just a light retractable cable lock designed for skis. Just to stop someone riding away, won't stop someone with proper tools. Try to leave the bike where it's visible from the windows and shift down through the gears (without moving pedals) so the chain will get stuck if someone does try to ride off. Just have to remember shift up again before setting off! If it's a big shop, ask if you can take it inside and leave it by the shopping trolleys, usually there's space.
jameso

Post by jameso »

This, in a smaller size (edit to add, I think I have the 25mm size, 2nd smallest)
https://www.safe.co.uk/products/abus-ti ... dlock.html

plus this
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/ ... pe=bicycle

is about 90g. More secure than a snowboard cable but a bit bulkier. I keep one on the frame, one end looped around the seatstay the other looped and locked to something. Pretty secure for a shop stop, in the places I'd stop in while passing through!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

johnb

Post by johnb »

Have you thought of Dutch lock? also called a nurses lock. On its own it just locks the back wheel. It's near enough impossible to get off. It doesn't stop people picking up the back wheel and walking it away. I add a cable so it can be locked to the proverbial immovable object. As a quick way of locking just the back wheel it can't be beaten. You can't forget the key as you can't take it out of the lock unless you are locking the back wheel.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I use two zip loks. Use one or join two together. I find then good for cafe stops or when camping. Find them ideal for bikepacking as most of the time your riding your bike with the occasional quick stop.

Stops someone from just grabbing your bike. A balance between security and weight.

http://www.hiplok.com/z-lok-zip-tie/
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I just use a cheap lightweight combination lock for cafe/shop stops and remove the lights and gpx unit. Also leave it in the highest gear. Never consider locking it overnight in the wilds.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

put a small padlock through the disk rotor and one of those retractable cable locks what skiers use
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I carry a thinnish chain with a combination lock. That way we don't have to worry about losing the key and it can't be cut with just a pair of pliers (unlike a cable lock). If someone wanted to cut it they would need a reasonably sized pair of bolt cutters, so hopefully that would deter the opportunist thief carrying a pair of pliers. When we are travelling I usually try to leave the bikes in sight or failing that in front of a cafe where everyone is looking out at them. If we can't do either of those then I fit a tarp over the two bikes to cover the bags. I figure it stops someone quickly grabbing a bag and running off and also hides the bags from view in the first place.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Abus combination retractable cable lock for bikepacking, it's excellent
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Knog party Frank lock is my light choice. I doubt it's very secure, but it rolls up small and is a brightly coloured visual deterrent.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

PaulE wrote:Knog party Frank lock is my light choice. I doubt it's very secure, but it rolls up small and is a brightly coloured visual deterrent.
Yep, and the silicone coating won't scratch things up. I've been using either a retractable combi lock or a BBB one that's like a coil spring with a combi lock. The retractable sometime threatens to seize up, the coil won't do that!