Wotsits

Re: USB Charging on tour

Post by Wotsits »

The 4-pack of chargers i ordered have arrived :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Are you going to send them out by My Hermes (oops wrong forum :roll: )
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Wotsits wrote:The 4-pack of chargers i ordered have arrived :-bd
And mine!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Not mine yet. :cry:
Which courier do they use?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

And mine. Sort of, I think. Got a parcel waiting at the sorting office so it might be a couple of days before I actually get them.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Taylor wrote:Not mine yet. :cry:
Which courier do they use?
Royal Mail..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Mike

Post by Mike »

@postierich, mate am i reading that as u have one for me :lol: if so let me know as im being a tool. and ill send you the cash ta
postierich

Post by postierich »

Chargers have landed getting sent tomorrow Mike one is yours send dosh to my paypal acc richard.munro@outlook.com
JerseyMountainBiker

Post by JerseyMountainBiker »

Rich,

Not sure if I made it on your list or not. If I did let me know and I will Paypal you.

Thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cheers rich. Money and address on its way pal ta
postierich

Post by postierich »

Chargers packaged up and will be sent tomorrow cheers chaps

Rich
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sent 3 chargers out at lunchtime.

Strangely, although my surname is Winterborne, they came addressed to "Winterbowner." I wonder how they knew I was a Boner, even though they can't spell it?

Kinda related, does anyone have a source for a long(ish), thin USB charge cable, preferably rated for 1.2A? All my normal USB cables are quite thick. The cable on the fixed 3 pin charger that came with my phone is nice and thin, but only rated for 0.7A. I'm sure there's a sweet spot in between. I have some very short (6") cables that are useful (often don't need any longer, and can't get tangled) but sometimes you need a longer cable - e.g. to sit in a cafe and charge your phone whilst messaging home/checking route/weather.

I'm probably over-thinking this, but I just spent £17 on a phone charger FFS, might as well get the cable right! :geek:
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

^ Mine's here already :grin: Many thanks. Can't help with lead, I'll just grab a couple from my massive collection.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So if I'm doing something a bit longer, I bring a random 18650 cell power adaptor, and use my 'fancy' charger at home to recharge them, I don't really trust the cheaper battery banks with their charging cycles/types.

Just bought this - decent charging programs, and allows pass through charging. Can also swap a few cells etc. Will see how good it ends up being - my power consumptions is generally fairly low though, so I don't worry too much. On the CG loop for example, I just brought along 2 x AA batteries spare - I used them to charge my garmin edge 500 I use for logging/backup breadcrumb nav, and then popped them in my etrex for about the last 3 hours of the ride.

356 (22-12-2017) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

Those are some proper panasonic 18650 cells, but unprotected/without inbuilt circuitry, so a bit cheaper - I can get away with this as it's a "cleverer" charger.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks like a fire waiting to happen Zippy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'll give it a helping hand with a blowtorch if I get bored Image

On a more serious note - I'm actually fairly careful not buying cheap chinese electronic tat - as that's probs the most likely cause of a household fire these days. I could I suppose keep tabs on it with the thermal imaging camera :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Do you have a link fir that charger zippy? It could be what I’m looking for.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

pondering power for Le Jog.
specifically quick charging.
those times when stopped at a café for lunch* (or pub for dinner) and wanting to quick charge a USB pack.

this Anker looks interesting
https://www.anker.com/uk/products/varia ... D/A1375011

it will charge at 9V/3A (27W) with a suitable USB-C PD charger. (probably an Apple USB-C charger)
so, a 1 hour ish café break will approx. third charge the pack.

not too bothered about quick charging my iPhone X

---
* been adding the locations of supermarkets to my map, could be handy if there is a mains socket available
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

When I did my jogle I used a combination of hub dynamo and a solar panel. At the time I was riding a surly bigdummy so the panel fitted nicely on the rear deck. If I was going to do it again I’d use a similar set up but with a battery that had dual charging inputs, avoiding the swapping of leads which became a chore.

Don’t make the rookie mistake I did and only have electronic navigation, mine failed due to the wettest summer in Scotland’s history

Asposium

Post by Asposium »

BigdummySteve wrote:Don’t make the rookie mistake I did and only have electronic navigation..,
I intend taking a second (backup) GPS, charging cable, and battery pack.
Most other failures I can deal with.
techno

Post by techno »

BigdummySteve wrote:When I did my jogle I used a combination of hub dynamo and a solar panel. At the time I was riding a surly bigdummy so the panel fitted nicely on the rear deck. If I was going to do it again I’d use a similar set up but with a battery that had dual charging inputs, avoiding the swapping of leads which became a chore.

Don’t make the rookie mistake I did and only have electronic navigation, mine failed due to the wettest summer in Scotland’s history
Hi Steve, what kind of solar panel did you use?
Was thinking that one of those nitecore jobbies that zippy mentioned above plus a solar panel & wall charger would give plenty of options for someone who doesn't have/want a dyno.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sorry for the delayed response, I used an anker panel, reasonable cheap and it worked very well. In decent sunshine it charged as fast as a mains charger. One thing to be careful of is your battery, the first I tried would discharge itself into the panel in low light,
Unless technology has vastly improved in two years you’ll need a reasonable large panel, one of the problems is that you can’t position the panel for the best performance so for instance if it’s a nice sunny day but you’re cycling into the sun the panel is in shade.

The best option is to combine it with a hub dynamo, shimano hubs are cheap and if you pair it with a cheap ( but very good) charger like the cycle2charge you’ve a setup which will keep you powered for a couple of weeks off grid.

The other essential is a multi port mains charger, when you hit a cafe or anywhere with mains take advantage.

Aside from charging electronics the best advice is to TLS, I got to Inverness and mailed home 2Kg , embrace your inner tramp :-bd

Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Igaro have incorporated a solar input into their latest charger.

Dual input so plays well with both hub Dyno and solar to charge your battery.

I'm on my third cycle2charge. It's sitting in my toolbox now. Don't rate them at all.
techno

Post by techno »

BigdummySteve wrote:Sorry for the delayed response, I used an anker panel, reasonable cheap and it worked very well. In decent sunshine it charged as fast as a mains charger. One thing to be careful of is your battery, the first I tried would discharge itself into the panel in low light,
Unless technology has vastly improved in two years you’ll need a reasonable large panel, one of the problems is that you can’t position the panel for the best performance so for instance if it’s a nice sunny day but you’re cycling into the sun the panel is in shade.

The best option is to combine it with a hub dynamo, shimano hubs are cheap and if you pair it with a cheap ( but very good) charger like the cycle2charge you’ve a setup which will keep you powered for a couple of weeks off grid.

The other essential is a multi port mains charger, when you hit a cafe or anywhere with mains take advantage.

Aside from charging electronics the best advice is to TLS, I got to Inverness and mailed home 2Kg , embrace your inner tramp :-bd
No problem Steve, thanks for the response. Just rebuilt wheels so another set is not a reasonable option for me.
Will look for a deal on one of those multi output chargers.
And you're right, TLS is the best option!