Invermoriston to Skye

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Invermoriston to Skye

Post by robbie »

Anyone know of any interesting trails/cycle paths to Skye from Invermoriston? Had a looks at sustrans etc but can't find much.
whitestone

Re: Invermoriston to Skye

Post by whitestone »

Depends on how technical, etc you want but the reverse of the HT550 route: Invermoriston-Tomich-Glen Affric-Morvich-Dornie would get you most of the way there. Apart from the descent to Glen Licht it's straightforward. Worth checking http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/mapsearch.php as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Apart from the descent to Glen Licht it's straightforward.
In days gone by I've done it this way too, Bob. Just as much pushing as the HT direction, except you're mainly pushing downhill! :lol:
In any case Camban to the Licht hut is *only* 2 hours.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

padonbike wrote:
Apart from the descent to Glen Licht it's straightforward.
In days gone by I've done it this way too, Bob. Just as much pushing as the HT direction, except you're mainly pushing downhill! :lol:
In any case Camban to the Licht hut is *only* 2 hours.
Have you done the trail to the north of Ben Fhada via Bealach an Sgairne? I've read that it's a better descent.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

No, thought about it but always gone the Camban way, even in my pre-HT days.
I have done the cut over from Morvich - Strath Croe - then due north through the woods and Inverinate Forest to then drop on the track and head west to Iron Lodge - 4 difficult and unrideable kilometres! :|
robbie

Post by robbie »

Sorry should have said I'm using a gravel type bike so nothing to technical. without pushing would be good :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm sure Colin aka Scot routes took a gravel bike down Glen Lichd on the basis that it wouldn't be any more pushing than on a mountainbike and is only for a short distance in relation to the overall length of gravel road throught he Glen.

That said I reckon it is all rideable downhill but that might just be my inner teenager.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

robbie wrote:Sorry should have said I'm using a gravel type bike so nothing to technical. without pushing would be good :lol:
You should be OK apart from the Glen Lichd descent which is about 2Km. There'll be the odd step here and there that you'll want to get off and carry but there's not a lot of those.

Here's Colin's Glen Affric report - http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/06/act-2-ride.html
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:I'm sure Colin aka Scot routes took a gravel bike down Glen Lichd on the basis that it wouldn't be any more pushing than on a mountainbike and is only for a short distance in relation to the overall length of gravel road throught he Glen.

That said I reckon it is all rideable downhill but that might just be my inner teenager.....
I took the + bike for the Affric-Kintail Way Phil. As you say, there's a balance to be had between the faster bits (Drumnadrochit to Strawberry Cottage), the rough track from there to Camban, the techy descent down to Glen Lichd and then the easy track out to the main road.

Edited for emphasis: The roughness of the track between Strawberry Cottage and Camban shouldn't be underestimated.

Other options would include heading from Alltbeithe down to the Cluanie Inn (horrid) and then the A87 to the foot of Glen Sheil, then the Mam Ratagan to Glenuig - or from Invermoriston down the GGW to Invergarry, forest track to Tomdoun, the road to Kinlochourn and then the muddy track through to Glenuig. Both of the latter assume it's between Easter and October and the wee ferry is running.
Mrhoppy

Post by Mrhoppy »

Have you done the trail to the north of Ben Fhada via Bealach an Sgairne? I've read that it's a better descent.
I have, it's the best descent I've done in the UK and right up there with the best anywhere.