Satellite messaging options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rich.mike

Satellite messaging options

Post by rich.mike »

I'm cycling in Patagonia from Coyhaique to Punta Arenas over December/ January and I'm looking for a reliable way to keep in contact with family members, especially over Xmas and New years. 2 way communication would be required and I don't think there will be mobile signal covering the journey down.

The only option I can really see if the DeLorme/Garmin InReach. Renting them out for a month is eye wateringly expensive and the data allowance isnt great. The other option would be to buy one and resell at the end of the trip, thoughts?
ScotRoutes

Re: Satellite messaging options

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, sitting down with a map you could likely get 95% or more of it from the route description. Let's face it - in most places there are few options :wink:
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

ScotRoutes wrote:TBH, sitting down with a map you could likely get 95% or more of it from the route description. Let's face it - in most places there are few options :wink:
Seems a strangely familiar repsonse to another thread :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

If there is no local cellular signal then an inReach or sat phone are likely to be your only options if two way comms are required.

For a simple "check in" a SPOT would suffice.

An inReach Explorer+ would cost ~£370, then £25 for the activation, then a "freedom" subscription.
The freedom subscription varies with the track frequency and number of messages included.
Consider with inReach that message BOTH WAYS count toward the message total.

I have an inReach Explorer+ and Iridium sat phone, so feel free to ask should you have further questions.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Moder-dye wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:TBH, sitting down with a map you could likely get 95% or more of it from the route description. Let's face it - in most places there are few options :wink:
Seems a strangely familiar repsonse to another thread :lol:
Bollox.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

See DeLorme inReach 2 way messenger hire at https://sites.google.com/site/balloonne ... pment-hire
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Mariner wrote:See DeLorme inReach 2 way messenger hire at https://sites.google.com/site/balloonne ... pment-hire
Excellent, emailed about rates. I am tempted by buying second hand then reselling afterwards, this may be the cheapest option.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »