steel unicrown rigid forks ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trail-rat

steel unicrown rigid forks ?

Post by Trail-rat »

Who still does these - if anyone.

im looking for a regular 1 1/8th straight steerer

440mm length (so regular 26" 100mm suspension corrected) - this is non negotiable the bike rides rank with a longer fork on , ive tried a few.

regular 100mm hub spacing - can go to 15mm axle if needed as ive a pd8 x upfront.

a disk mount. no v brake mounts but if they had bottle/anything cage bosses that would be a bonus.

dont weigh as much as the sun.....

some butting in the tubing would be nice so its compliant and not like riding a set of scaffold pole tubes like the krampus forks i have (which are too long for this bike anyway)

Currently running triple butted kona p2s which are light and full of twangy lovelyness but also I'm conscious they are old , i like my teeth i'm also wanting a bit more scope on the steerer to play with bar positioning - i still want my aero bars higher and i have no room for it(from the other thread about the fred bar - I'm a lot closer to position I want -but when i built this bike it got given a very aggressive race position - which is still fine for a week or so of riding but i am needing more.)

dont really want carbon , have broke 2 sets on the bike already including some tasty pace ones !

only thing ive seen that grabs my eye is the ti fork clee are selling but a few things come to mind - 1 is ti is hard to weld well and 2 its properties are not really ideal for forks 3 its not unicrown so ill have to file that under - looks nice but not what i want.

failing all this , does anyone know a custom fork builder ?
fatbikephil

Re: steel unicrown rigid forks ?

Post by fatbikephil »

http://salsacycles.com/components/categ ... to_26_disc 445mm AC but 5mm will not be noticable.....
Nowhere in stock that I could see but might be worth dropping Charlie the Bikemonger a line to see if he can get them in?
Shand will sort you out with a custom pair
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I've seen the Cromoto. But can't help but think 1100g is rather portly.

The triple butted P2 is an anomaly it is an incredibly light steel fork which may be hard to achieve in today's cen testing world I accept but 1100g is alot.

I shall have a look over to Shand though that is a good shout.

The bikes a ragley td1 so really warrents light forks I "might" have to go to carbon to achieve it in today's market but I figured the all seeing eye might be able to help :)
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have a couple of Genesis Fortitude fork samples in the shed from when I was playing around with that as a rigid-specific bike. The offsets are short, 40 and 45mm, they're 440 and 445mm long, QR though. Not sure of the weight but under 1kg from what I remember. They're not particularly oversized, nice ride feel I think. So if you can find a 2nd hand Fortitude fork it may be worth it, if not and you want one of these, well I can't see a good reason to hang onto it, but I'd need to find it first : )
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Good shout James I remember looking at those forks when you first started doing them. Infact I think you may have suggested I should buy a set back then after I destroyed my second set of carbon forks.

I will have a rake about online for a set

If you happened across the 440 set measure the steerer /name your price.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all ears
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Hummingbird fork? Think they were 450 or so?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singular-Hum ... 2566341813
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I recall Sam said the hummingbird had an odd rake/headangle thing going on they would be wierd on most other bikes.

I've also found some soma fabrication 440mm tange infinity cromo seamed tubing fork that are circa 1kg with an uncut 250mm steerer

The p2s are 820 grama . Probably have to take a weight hit to get a longer steerer :)

A new set of p2s would be ideal but they are long gone !
chris n

Post by chris n »

A steel fork won't just break so why not get a new longer steerer on the P2? Give you a chance to get a new paint job, any braze ons you need and get the builder to give it a good check over while they're at it.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I have a set of P2s that I used for commuting for about a year. They have been in my "office" gathering dust for over 4 years now.

Disc only with QR dropouts.

Would you like me to measure them?

Si
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

that would be good darbeze if i can keep the same ride and get a longer steerer that would be stotting.

its crossed my mind to get a longer steerer put in the p2s but i suspect the work involved in pulling them apart and rebuilding them that an experianced builder could probably knock up the fork i want for similar cash.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Surly Troll old 100mm suspension corrected model...

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... O-EALw_wcB

...maybe a bit too heavy...but a nice long steerer to play with !
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

1.36kg and 453mm

Too heavy too long. The bike gets really upset with longer forks , the seat angle and headangle come up and the front wheel gets really vague....I've tried it in the past.

I've got someone else on stw measuring a set of fortitude ss forks for me to buy or darbezes p2s .might also be suitable

Those torus ti forks still look tempting hah:)
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

The steerer length on my P2s is 214mm.

Cheers,

Si
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Darbeze

Thanks for that how ever my current forks are 222mm and there's only one spacer in there. The curse of being a tall bugger on a large frame....

I might have to try carbon again - especially now I don't generally find my self on enduro trails with the bike now..... there are plenty of options available in carbon.

I'm needing in the region of 240-245mm steerer which is pretty much uncut unless your riding one of them silly looking Thorns.....
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Just found the original carbon forks I specified on the bike when I built it originally.

They were 245mm on the steerer before if morphed into a short track racer again......or I needed new forks cheaply and the p2s were what was available.

The other fortitude I found were only 210

Don't suppose by chance yours are any longer are they James ?
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

have opted to ask ben@kinetics if he wants to build me a fork . lets see how that goes.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

have opted to ask ben@kinetics if he wants to build me a fork . lets see how that goes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Don't suppose by chance yours are any longer are they James ?
Sorry, missed this one - not sure, prob not much more? Custom from Kinetics is a good call.