Cheap ways to Scotland

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Re: Cheap ways to Scotland

Post by Moder-dye »

ScotRoutes wrote:This is one if the reasons I didn't BB200 this year, and why I just avoid some of the other events.

If you think that the amount of hassle/cost/time to get to Scotland barely makes it worthwhile, , just think how I feel about doing the same to get to the South of England. :wink:
Or me to go south the north of Scotland :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:This is one if the reasons I didn't BB200 this year, and why I just avoid some of the other events.

If you think that the amount of hassle/cost/time to get to Scotland barely makes it worthwhile, , just think how I feel about doing the same to get to the South of England. :wink:
I don’t like going to the south of England and it’s only 2:10 to London on the train.

I’ve got to go sarf of the river for work next month. For a whole day !
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Roll on HS2!
Sleeper is your best bet if you can get a deal
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote:If you think that the amount of hassle/cost/time to get to Scotland barely makes it worthwhile, , just think how I feel about doing the same to get to the South of England. :wink:
:lol: I try to explain this to my family, I don't think they get it and still expect me to drive 450 miles to get somewhere sub standard
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

ianfitz wrote:Are there any other south-coasters who would share a car/van trip up there?

A BB southerners do Scotland trip could be fun.
Yes!

Although I've booked 96% of next year's annual leave already!

The bikepacking highlight being Dover to Calais ferry, ride to Caen via as much beach/trail as we can find, Caen to Portsmouth overnight ferry, Portsmouth to IOW ferry - bike across the island for the day, Yarmouth to Lymington ferry then offroad across the New Forest to home. :-bd
@philg1971 Instagram
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

restlessnative wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:If you think that the amount of hassle/cost/time to get to Scotland barely makes it worthwhile, , just think how I feel about doing the same to get to the South of England. :wink:
:lol: I try to explain this to my family, I don't think they get it and still expect me to drive 450 miles to get somewhere sub standard
We go to a festival every year in Suffolk. This year they announced with great fanfare it was going to be held much further north to make it easier for those of us who have to travel a long way. Its going to be in south Wales. :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Blame that ******* BBC Weather Map.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

:lol: that bloody thing!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

htrider wrote:Roll on HS2!
Alas, it seems you can't get advance tickets on the sleeper, so the cheapest you'll probably get those is £150 + cabin cost (if you want one).
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ianfitz wrote:Are there any other south-coasters who would share a car/van trip up there?

Sounds a great idea. Let me know when you all are thinking dates wise.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Part 1:
Do I have the available cash to do this trip? If yes, proceed to part two. If not cut back all other expenditure until I do. Or, use credit.

Part two:
Take time off work/ quit work - tick.
Get there - tick.
Worry about cost implications later - tick.

If you want to go to Scotland, go to Scotland.

Life is to short to worry about the cost of experiences.

If you keep wanting, and not doing, you'll die having not done.

Please note, this attitude did have me in reasonable debt until I was 36, however I have seen quite a large portion of this world we live on. Paddled its rivers. Climbed its mountains. Rode its trails.

I regret none of it.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Yep ^
I have never met anyone who has regretted having travelled, but I have met plenty who have regretted not travelling.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Richard G wrote:
Alas, it seems you can't get advance tickets on the sleeper, so the cheapest you'll probably get those is £150 + cabin cost (if you want one).
You can book 12 months in advance on sleeper.scot. Free bikes. London-Glasgow is £90rtn on a reclining seat, or £100rtn to Fort William.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Laurensdad wrote:

Yes!

Although I've booked 96% of next year's annual leave already!

The bikepacking highlight being Dover to Calais ferry, ride to Caen via as much beach/trail as we can find, Caen to Portsmouth overnight ferry, Portsmouth to IOW ferry - bike across the island for the day, Yarmouth to Lymington ferry then offroad across the New Forest to home. :-bd
I’m no southerner but that sounds great!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

DickieH wrote:
Richard G wrote:
You can book 12 months in advance on sleeper.scot. Free bikes. London-Glasgow is £90rtn on a reclining seat, or £100rtn to Fort William.
Sorry, to be clear, I meant "advance" as in the tickets called "advance tickets"... rather than in advance. Confusing, I know.

Good to know there's a better option for booking though.