Mech Cages

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Mech Cages

Post by dlovett »

After the accident I have finally got around to looking at the bike and it's worse than I thought. I new hanger should arrive today, but on closer look the mech's actual cage is twisted. Is this something to try and bend straight or is that a bad idea, just get a replacement cage or mech?

Once I have got it off and cleaned, I'll post some pictures.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Mech Cages

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nothing lost by trying to straighten it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

^ exactly my thoughts, however I’ve tried this approached twice so far and I’ve ended up with new mechs each time. I honestly hope your twisting skills are better than mine, good luck!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Both sides are slightly bent unfortunately, so I've had to order a new one as without it I can't work.

I'll stick it on eBay and perhaps somebody might want to buy it and try and fix it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Depending on how worn it is, the jockey wheels might be worth saving at least!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

ScotRoutes wrote:Depending on how worn it is, the jockey wheels might be worth saving at least!
Yep I've whipped them out to go with the off road chain/cassette and ring set I have, as as they don't look too worn. I'll compare them to the new ones when it arrives.

I have to admit to be surprised how well the SRAM 1x11 drivetrain is lasting. So far it's done apron 1400km's with no obvious sign of wear, but I have been cleaning each part once a week or so and re-lubing it at 100km's marks when road riding.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Depending on how worn it is, the jockey wheels might be worth saving at least!
Always, always strip jockey wheel bolts off binned mechs!
It is a dedicated bike industry bolt and to buy one individually off eBay is £5.
I know this because I bought one after Huw from the HT told me he was guiding and a client ripped one out. Since he told me this, I always carry one. I realise you can’t carry a replacement part for every bolt on the bike, but this is one that makes the cut.