I think I need a sleeping bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pirahna

I think I need a sleeping bag

Post by Pirahna »

I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment but my sleeping kit isn't up to keeping me warm in the winter, so some advice is needed. Here's what I've already got:

Shelter: Lunar Solo tent or MSR bivi bag and tarp.
Exped Synmat UL and Synmat HL (with a hole in it). The tapered shape of the HL works really well with my bivi bag.
Enlightened Equipment quilt, silk liner and ancient fleece liner that's a bit threadbare.
A cheapo down jacket that I already sleep in.

For sleep warmth is it just a matter of supplementing the quilt with a light sleeping bag? If so any recommendations? Anything else I should be looking at?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: I think I need a sleeping bag

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

2 questions ... how much down does the quilt contain and what temps are you looking at?
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I take it you've seen Enlightened's blog post on layering quilts? https://support.enlightenedequipment.co ... t-Layering There's a table on that page showing how different combinations give various temp ratings, unfortunately it's in Fahrenheit.

Their general take-away is that if you layer two quilts then consider a synthetic filled quilt as the outer as the dew point is most likely to fall within that area and the synthetic filling won't be affected as much by the ensuing damp.

However! I use a PHD Minimus 200 bag as the inner and a Cumulus 150 quilt as the outer in my cool weather system and haven't had any problem so far. If you are using a bivy bag then make sure there's enough room for sleeping mat, both bags and yourself. I've the Alpkit Hunka XL which is big enough.

Edit: both my bag and quilt are rated to around 5C, together they are fine to at least -6C (I've not had chance to use them at temperatures below that)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:2 questions ... how much down does the quilt contain and what temps are you looking at?
It's their default offering so 850 fill, no idea how much though and can't find it on their site. Temps, I'll be riding the Winter Event which will probably the coldest.

whitestone wrote:
I take it you've seen Enlightened's blog post on layering quilts? https://support.enlightenedequipment.co ... t-Layering
I hadn't, but will read it now.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Plus what mat are you using as that is more important than the bag for keeping you warm.

I also find in the winter months, the best way to keep warm whilst biving is to wrap a buff over your mouth and nose to stop you breathing in too much cold air.
Cheap solution and makes you look like a ninja :-bd