Winter reading recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Winter reading recommendations?

Post by restlessshawn »

Have run out of things on my kindle just now so any recommendations to get me through the winter?

I read quite a lot of non fiction, travels, life story type stuff, mostly cycling related really but doesn't have to be...*
I have no interest in books about actual racing or fiction based cycling books like Lance's

Just finished Dave Barter's OCCD which I enjoyed, especially the Irish end to end as I've done it...though it has got me thinking about a LEJOG...

*actually I've read a lot of cycling travel books!
Single Speed George

Re: Winter reading recommendations?

Post by Single Speed George »

if you climb or mountaineer , i would recommend Mic Fowlers 2 books , some of the best biographical wrighting i have come across , allways entertaining even on the most harrowing acounts of things , cant reccomed them enough ! ... but think you would have to be in to climbing to enjoy them.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

438 days by Jonathan Franklin. All about a Mexican fisherman who gets washed across the Pacific Ocean with next to nothing in his boat.
The best book I’ve read this year.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

HopeValleyPaul wrote:438 days by Jonathan Franklin. All about a Mexican fisherman who gets washed across the Pacific Ocean with next to nothing in his boat.
The best book I’ve read this year.

Wasn't there a bit of doubt of the authenticity at the time? Still might be worth reading by the sounds of it
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Single Speed George wrote:if you climb or mountaineer , i would recommend Mic Fowlers 2 books , some of the best biographical wrighting i have come across , allways entertaining even on the most harrowing acounts of things , cant reccomed them enough ! ... but think you would have to be in to climbing to enjoy them.

I've read some mountaineering type books, white spider, joe simpson stuff, and some Everest accounts...but I don't and never will climb ;)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

General exploring books: Shipton and Tilman. Mostly mountaineering but in later years Tilman did some pretty hairy sea voyages.

In a similar vein Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian explorations and Wally Herbert's polar trips.

All the above might be regarded as a bit "dry" by today's "wow" and false jeopardy standards.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have read Graeme Obree's biography 'The Flying Scotsman' recently which was very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190 ... 1909715115

Also Sarah Outen's excellent account of circumnavigating the globe under her own steam, ie rowing the oceans and cycling the land. Her account of crossing Canada in -30C temps (while camping!) might prove the incentive you need to stop being soft and get out there this winter. And she did it all on a bike weighing 70kg :shock:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/147 ... 27831f96fc
javatime

Post by javatime »

Julian Sayarer wrote a good book about cycling around the world (and his reasons for doing it) based on the politics of adventure. His book about being a cycle courier in London is good too.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Borderer wrote:I have read Graeme Obree's biography 'The Flying Scotsman' recently which was very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190 ... 1909715115

Also Sarah Outen's excellent account of circumnavigating the globe under her own steam, ie rowing the oceans and cycling the land. Her account of crossing Canada in -30C temps (while camping!) might prove the incentive you need to stop being soft and get out there this winter. And she did it all on a bike weighing 70kg :shock:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/147 ... 27831f96fc

Yeah I read Obree's book and enjoyed it

Sarah's Outen's looks interesting (8.99 on kindle!) In a similar vein I read these and enjoyed them. Much longer trip though something like 10 years

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jason-Lewis/e/ ... sr=1-2-ent

might prove the incentive you need to stop being soft and get out there this winter
wow it's like you know me :lol: I the back of my head I'm already thinking of hanging up my sleeping bag till March :oops:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

javatime wrote:Julian Sayarer wrote a good book about cycling around the world (and his reasons for doing it) based on the politics of adventure. His book about being a cycle courier in London is good too.

looks good, just downloaded that (hopefully better than the Mark Beumont book) so far that's

169 days later
438 days
the Year (D Barter)

on my kindle...I see a pattern
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

might prove the incentive you need to stop being soft and get out there this winter
wow it's like you know me :lol: I the back of my head I'm already thinking of hanging up my sleeping bag till March :oops:[/quote]

No excuses :lol: My 13 year old and I slept out in sub-zero temps last week. If he can do it, so can you :-P
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

http://www.chrismcdougall.com/born-to-run/

Some really good insights that are also relevant to other endurance type events & quite a good story to go along with it too!

This is also quite a good read-
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/282 ... n-the-cold
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Last Man Off by Matt Lewis is a good read...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Year by Mr Barter ... superb read. Both interesting and humbling in equal measure.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cycling home from Siberia by Rob Lilwel and Travels with Rosinante by Bernard Magnouloux are great touring books.
As far as my feet will carry me, for an incredible and supposedly true story of a journey across Siberia.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Cycling home from syberia I thought was crap. He's al Humphreys mate and it shows in his writing style. I can't stand their style.

Try "ghost trails" and "be brave be strong " by Jill homer -

How ever in that note dividing the great by John Metcalfe is a good read.

Jupiter's travels by Ted Simon -motorbike travel in1970.

Long ride for a pie by Tim mulliner also iOS.

Currently working my way through "this road I ride " by Juliana Buhring. - she's had some life to date for sure.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Shawn, I missed the bit where you said you'd already downloaded The Year.

Nick Crane's always worth a read - Journey to the centre of the earth is a favourite.

Millican Dalton, A search for romance and freedom by MD Entwistle.The story of someone who should never be forgotten and who's spirit (I hope) lives on amongst us.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Some great suggestions here thanks.

I read rob lillwall book a while back and I found the kind of "I've got faith" religious mentions got up my nose

Off to google some of these

Jupiters travels I had read maybe 5 times, great book
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Journey to the centre of the earth is a favourite" - seconded. One of the most inspiring books I've ever read. From the BP point of view the amount of kit they [didn't] take for a journey of that length/unpredictability was incredible.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Another good read I feel should be mandatory for hill types is Cairngorm John by John Allan

Good without being a preachy we are not worthy type.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Tim Moore's books are good. I've just revisited 'Gironimo' and enjoyed it 2nd time around as much as the first.

Greetz

S.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Living Mountain by Nan Shepherd will strike a chord with many of those who stravaig the wild places in a non-competitive frame of mind.
techno

Post by techno »

ScotRoutes wrote:The Living Mountain by Nan Shepherd will strike a chord with many of those who stravaig the wild places in a non-competitive frame of mind.
It's an outstanding book, beautifully written and inspiring book. Never fails to give me itchy feet.
Any of Robert McFarlanes books are worth a look too.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

restlessnative wrote:
*actually I've read a lot of cycling travel books!

I just finished Peter Hook's "How not to run a club" which is a brilliant account of the rise and fall of the Hacienda night club in Manchester. I really recommend this along with:-

"The inside story of Viz" - Chris Donald
"Lonely Boy" - Steve Jones if you like a bit of punk history written by a thief
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

If you’re interested in climbing, this is a good collection of fiction: https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Step-Cloud ... 0871566389

The Boardman-Tasker Omnibus is also excellent (very much non-fiction, obvs).

I also enjoyed this - office worker heads to Alaska to build and live in a remote log cabin over winter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/034089 ... 0819257058