Stem cells and the like...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Stem cells and the like...

Post by Teetosugars »

Are the latest Revelate ones really worth twice as much as all the others?
Or who/where else should I be looking..
ianfitz

Re: Stem cells and the like...

Post by ianfitz »

I dunno but run one original revelate and one alpkit, either a standard or sometimes a large one.

I like the outside stretchy pockets on the revelate, the alpkit pockets are tiny and not much use.

The large alpkit ones are really quite big, will fit loads in. But are so big that you can hit them with your knees when out of the saddle.

Edit - loads, not liars. They are big but not that big!
Last edited by ianfitz on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've got Stem Cells from three different manufacturers: Alpkit, Apidura and Revelate. They were bought in that order.

All have their strengths and weaknesses so I suppose it depends what you want from them. I've a review of sorts written out that I could post tomorrow but I can't remember how complete it is. Stu did a review of the Apidura version if you search for that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have an Alpkit dry stem cell and two cheapo others from eBay. If I was getting another I would get the dry bag one from Alpkit. It fits a 650 Mitimug comfortably, whereas the standard one it is a bit of a struggle. It will also keep your electronics and other valuables dry, which a standard one wont.
ootini

Post by ootini »

benp1

Post by benp1 »

My bike is too small for me to run stem cells, they hit my knees. They were so useful on my last bike but won't work with both my MTBs and my gangly legs
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I have a couple of Alpkit ones, love them but... you need two hands to open/close them.

The Revelate ones are singlehanded, so I'll be getting a pair at some point but they are pricey and I have lots of other stuff to throw my hard-earned at first.

If I had none I'd go straight for the Revelate ones.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mbnut wrote:I have a couple of Alpkit ones, love them but... you need two hands to open/close them.

The Revelate ones are singlehanded, so I'll be getting a pair at some point but they are pricey and I have lots of other stuff to throw my hard-earned at first.

I adapted my alpkit one to be easier to open one handed. It involved attaching a long ish captive string to the cord lock. Means you can pull that down double it’s length. Meaning there’s enough of a gap in the elastic to get a hand in. When the main draw of is pulled away from the captive string it tightens up.

Hard to explain. I can take pics if needed
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

The alpkit dry one is a one handed opening operation as it is a standard drybag clip arrangement. Closing it one handed is a trickier matter though. For me I prefer it to having strings and toggles trailing around the cockpit though - they always get snagged on things.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I got my Brabantia ones for about £8 each from Dunelm. Two snips with some scissors near the bottom and some velcro tape and they were mounted perfectly.

https://www.johnlewis.com/brabantia-pre ... lsrc=aw.ds
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ianfitz wrote:
Mbnut wrote:I have a couple of Alpkit ones, love them but... you need two hands to open/close them.

I adapted my alpkit one to be easier to open one handed. It involved attaching a long ish captive string to the cord lock. Means you can pull that down double it’s length. Meaning there’s enough of a gap in the elastic to get a hand in. When the main draw of is pulled away from the captive string it tightens up.

Hard to explain. I can take pics if needed
Ian, would you mind posting some pics of that. I've tried to work out how to do it myself but can't get my head round it! Thanks.