Bothy Etiquette

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RobMac

Bothy Etiquette

Post by RobMac »

I've slept in a bothy while walking but not when I've been on the bike, what do you do with the bike over night?
psling

Re: Bothy Etiquette

Post by psling »

In my (limited) experience - if the bothy is full leave it locked outside; if the bothy is empty, take it in; if the bothy is occupied but quiet ask if others mind you taking it inside (I've never known a refusal).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

There is often a wood storage area that is covered that you can put your bike in if you can't bring it inside as psling says
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

psling wrote:In my (limited) experience - if the bothy is full leave it locked outside; if the bothy is empty, take it in; if the bothy is occupied but quiet ask if others mind you taking it inside (I've never known a refusal).
This, but I've never felt the need to lock it up on the few occasions it has stayed outside.
On the 2015 Scottish winter bivi at Bunnies bothy we all made the mistake of leaving them outside even though we could have brought them in. Result was everything froze solid, chains, brakes, gears, everything. Made for an interesting ride the first few hours.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I've always taken mine in, to be honest if there were a few people already there I'd go and sleep somewhere else unless I was desperate ;)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sign of a posh bothy is a bike shed (aka wood / tool store!) To be honest if the bothy is quite nice inside and my bike is filthy it stays outside and I've never felt the need to lock it. Exception is carnmore in Fisherfield as its got an earth floor.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote:
psling wrote:In my (limited) experience - if the bothy is full leave it locked outside; if the bothy is empty, take it in; if the bothy is occupied but quiet ask if others mind you taking it inside (I've never known a refusal).
This, but I've never felt the need to lock it up on the few occasions it has stayed outside.
On the 2015 Scottish winter bivi at Bunnies bothy we all made the mistake of leaving them outside even though we could have brought them in. Result was everything froze solid, chains, brakes, gears, everything. Made for an interesting ride the first few hours.
Fond memories of my first proper bikepacking trip Ray, I was stuck in first gear for the first 5 miles :lol:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

In fairness though, it was absolutely freezing that morning!