Guilty pleasures

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Guilty pleasures

Post by BigdummySteve »

Tonight I sinned, not in that way unfortunately [-X ( although due to Reg inadvertently bringing on the apocalypse it might be an opportune moment, no I did worse, while no one was looking I slipped something sinister into the darkest recesses of my revelate tangle.
It made mockery of my new T. L.S ( Copyright bbt) ethos , it served no real purpose ( I’ve got a perfectly good head light) I took a UCO candle lantern :o

It had been lurking at the bottom of my outdoor crap cupboard unused, mainly due to the cost of uco,s 9 H candles. But the other night I looked at a large syringe and though it looked about the same OD . I cut the end off and made a mold to ‘ repurposed ‘ my wife’s dinner candles.

I now remember why I liked it, it’s like a mini camp fire just enough light to make it homely on these long winter nights, it’s coming on the winter bivy and highly recommend for long nights when you might not want to sleep as soon as you bivy.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Moder-dye

Re: Guilty pleasures

Post by Moder-dye »

I have an altoid tin with 3 wicks in it and filled with wax. They certainly make a long dark night cosier and even warmer too.

Hope you have a good night out
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

And there's me feeling guilty looking at pictures of XC full suspension bikes.... :oops:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Rechaud candles. Not anymore, but I used to usem them quite a lot for solo winter mountaineering. Kept the spirits up in those long, cold and mentally dark moments.
padonbike wrote:And there's me feeling guilty looking at pictures of XC full suspension bikes.... :oops:
Mmhhh... You know Philip , that Kona Hei Hei DL is so much fun to ride it's a sin. And it's nimble, light and playful. Soooo nice...
:wink:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

UCO candle lanterns are ace, they put a lovely warm atmospheric light
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed your first post above there BDS, gave me a good giggle, and glad to see that neither Brian nor the Djinn from the Fifth Dimension got you during the night. I really do apologise unreservedly for precipitating an apocalypse and any inconvenience caused thereby; a small slip and suddenly the world's ended :smile: .

Now that the apocalypse has happened we can't really turn the clock back, and it's nice to see you've already started to pick up the pieces by using candlepower. I've got some lovely 9-hour ones too (nearly said 9-volt there) so I'm gonna bring those on the Chiltern Winter Bivi. I'm not as courageous as you and daren't bring Mrs Perrin's best dining room ones. I'm also going to dig out my 'Honey Stove' for a nice little twig fire and cooker. I say "twig", but maybe actual honey works too - different types for different burns. Manuka'd give a good expensive blaze I reckon. And we'll have no electricity any more so no headlights, so it's back to my caving days and acetylene lamps. Obviously we already have Sam's fire-pit on the go. As mentioned by MD and Ben, it should all be very cosy! :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster