Post by Teetosugars »

How much kit does this guy carry???

http://finalfrontier.bike/journal/2016/ ... r-overview

‘Kin L.

Good luck with that!
Karl

Re: How much kit??

Post by Karl »

It does seem a bit excessive but it all depends on where your going and what you're doing. On my trip from Manchester to Norway in March I had to contend with a lot of different weather conditions so from the outside it looked like I had too much kit but everything I took I used.

I did have a twitter troll tell me that I had too much stuff just from looking at the picture. I replied and explained what I was doing. They replied back with the same statement that I was carrying too much. I hadn't disclosed my packing list so they had no idea what I had in there, so I asked what I should leave behind next time. Twitter troll did not reply :-bd

Thought I'd share that little story with you :lol:
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

It's been done. While it might seem a lot, he's basically touring long term using bikepacking gear, plus a drone camera and full winter kit. It does look like a lot compared to most of our short trip setups, but if he had a traditional touring bike, 4 panniers plus trunk and handlebar bag, no one would care or think it was strange.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Steezysix wrote:It's been done. While it might seem a lot, he's basically touring long term using bikepacking gear, plus a drone camera and full winter kit. It does look like a lot compared to most of our short trip setups, but if he had a traditional touring bike, 4 panniers plus trunk and handlebar bag, no one would care or think it was strange.
Or even two trailers....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While I believe that 'soft' luggage has many benefits over the more conventional / traditional approach. I also believe that there reaches a point where the benefits cease to exist. Once you're bungeeing bag on top of bag, it's either time to re-think what you're carrying or buy some racks. The stability of the bike in the pic must be akin to a pig on a skateboard.

If you need to carry that much stuff, there are far better ways of doing it.
May the bridges you burn light your way