More Garmin weirdness

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

More Garmin weirdness

Post by ianfitz »

My 800 crashed about 30k from the finish and I used a spare one to navigate the rest of the ride.

I have set them both to record to the SD card to avoid data loss in the (inevitable) event of a crash. but that didn't work this time, something odd has happened to that file. I uploaded it here -
https://www.strava.com/activities/1232221911

It shows only 7 hours and 95k of distance but 4764m of climbing, which I'd guess would be right for ALL of that section up to the crash. Looking at it as a text file the last time stamp is about 3pm, which would tally with the distance stops.

The distance and climbing the device was showing on screen were normal way beyond the point it has cut the data back too
I’ve had this before with an etrex during relentless. The screen showed 280km/8500m when it crashed and the device lost the first 10 hours of data!

Does anyone know why/how/if this can be prevented/stopped/repaired.
burty

Re: More Garmin weirdness

Post by burty »

I have got a similar problem with my Oregon ,
the full track I rode is on the screen all 224k
but no matter what I do when trying to get it off the garmin to my computer it only sends it from rhayader to the finish
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Burty have you connected it to a PC and looked at the files? The rest of it may be in a folder labelled Archive under GPX.

My Oregon decided to save two sections of my track to this archive folder and then a final third section when I hit save at the end.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A bit of searching shows this Strava fix - https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... ile-Errors

In addition I'd find an XML validator to see if something's amiss.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
burty

Post by burty »

found both parts now bob thanks ,
but if I put it on my strava acc I seems I have KOM on every hill I climbed :-bd
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

ianfitz wrote:My 800 crashed about 30k from the finish and I used a spare one to navigate the rest of the ride.

I have set them both to record to the SD card to avoid data loss in the (inevitable) event of a crash. but that didn't work this time, something odd has happened to that file. I uploaded it here -
https://www.strava.com/activities/1232221911

It shows only 7 hours and 95k of distance but 4764m of climbing, which I'd guess would be right for ALL of that section up to the crash. Looking at it as a text file the last time stamp is about 3pm, which would tally with the distance stops.

The distance and climbing the device was showing on screen were normal way beyond the point it has cut the data back too
I’ve had this before with an etrex during relentless. The screen showed 280km/8500m when it crashed and the device lost the first 10 hours of data!

Does anyone know why/how/if this can be prevented/stopped/repaired.
My 800 does this if it runs close to 24 hours. It just can't hack it. The only alternative is to stop en-route, reset and start again from your current position, combining the files later.
Matt

Post by Matt »

When Garmin 800s get to a certain amount of data points recorded they lock up. Known issue, mine did it at 180km on 2015 BB200.

HRM & cadence sensors exasperate the problem.

Now I just reset hold the left button down for 5secs and start a new file at 100km.

Seems to work, you can either upload 2 halfs or stitch later but it seems to prevent it freezing.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Matt wrote:When Garmin 800s get to a certain amount of data points recorded they lock up. Known issue, mine did it at 180km on 2015 BB200.
Yep, had exactly the same thing on an audax earlier this year with my old Edge 800. Bloody annoying, yet still more reliable than the 820 I bought to replace it...!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ian, my 800 also switched itself off when I got back to the finish. The external battery ran out of juice at that moment, and as I unplugged it the 800 went blank and then subsequent turning ons had it just sat there spinning. It only sorted itself out when I cleared a load of old .fit files when I got home.

I suspect yours crashed during a save event and some memory got erased or overwritten.

The bb200 fit file was 669kB, which is the biggest I have seen......

The answer is a save and reset every 12 hours or a different unit......
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

slarge wrote:
The bb200 fit file was 669kB, which is the biggest I have seen......

The answer is a save and reset every 12 hours or a different unit......
I run HR and power data too so am making biggr files.

I think the reset and stitch is the option for future.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Fwiw, my edge 500 has crashed a handful of time (I know why, so can avoid it), and I've always been able to recover the file up until the point it crashed.
What files have you got on the device and card? Anything with time stamps vaguely close to the event that look hopeful?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just been looking at this on mine it looks like it borks itself when the file size is 699kb