Fear?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Fear?

Post by thenorthwind »

Thinking about it, maybe this is why I prefer a bivi to a tent. Not being able to see out does mean your imagination can run wild ...
This is the main reason I prefer a bivvy.

Didn't stop me pooing myself all night the first time I used it, on the North York Moors, with a mate who's also over 6 foot and much more built than my skinny self. Absolutely nothing happened that was remotely scary (the early morning grouse calls were shocking, but too comical to be scary), but the feeling of relief the following morning at having not been murdered in my sleep was like a second birth. It's probably what got me hooked!

I had quite a strange experience in Northumberland. Bivvying (with the same friend) at a reasonably well-known gathering spot on the summer solstice, there was only one other guy there (this year I counted at least 50). An older guy, probably 50s or 60s, just standing and quietly contemplating, which is what most people do at a summer solstice sunset gathering. We said hello to him but he didn't reply. We sat around and chatted and watched the sun set, but it was kind of eerie him being there. Eventually we went and bivvied about 50 yards away and at some point after dark he must have left. It obviously played on my mind though because when I did finally get to sleep, I had strange and repeated vivid dreams about him returning and all sorts of strange things happening (nothing violent, though, or sexual, for the record).
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Wildcamping in grizzly country, just drifting off to sleep and the crack of a thick branch being broken underfoot. Not my best nights sleep.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Two things have woken me with my heart thumping:
1) Wild boar squaring up on either side of me in the Forest of Dean. They make some scary noises.
2) Landrovers being driven full pelt about 10ft from my bed at 2am on the Isle of Wight.
Mostly, if I'm scared, I'm scared of people.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Camping out on a beach near to Helford Passage, I woke up to find myself absolutely covered in sand flies. Inside the bivi bag, in my nose and ears. Totally freaked me out.

Another time, foolishly camping next to Aber Falls before a winter attempt at the Welsh 3000s. The foolish part is how loud waterfalls are at night. And how they 'speak' when you're half asleep. I don't speak waterfall, but Aber Falls has dark dreams.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

As a kid growing up, Dad used to explain that a night, there is nothing there that wasn’t there during the day.
Only now? It was awake. And hungry.
Thankfully now we live in the uk..
I was scared of the dark up until I joined the Army.
I soon got used to it.
Oddly now tho, I’ve reverted.
I’m scared again, but I guess that’s all down to some of the places I’ve slept under a tarp in.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Comes and goes for me. As a kid I was proper scared of the dark but lived in a big, creaky old house but that generally "left" me as I got older and was outdoors doing more stuff.

Had the usual wildlife and nocturnal noises when out. Sometimes gets the adrenaline going. I just try to relax, acknowledge that there might be something and that I'm either scared / tense / wired and then let it slowly ebb away. Hard to explain and suspect very personal, must be all that mindfulness and yoga :wink:

Not really related, but with work over the last few years I've spent quite a bit of time in the tunnels and chambers beneath the Rock of Gibraltar. It's a strange environment and at times there must have been loads of people in there when in operational use. Don't know what it is (and I'm not vaguely inclined towards the supernatural and ghosts, spirits etc - no offence to anyone else or their experiences) but occasionally the place really puts the sh1ts up me :roll:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

It doesn't really bother me much. I'm used to animal noises as I work night shifts outdoors on my own (and have done for years) so most things like deer barking or roaring (depending on breed) or vixens screaming are familiar noises. During the red deer rutting season I either wear ear plugs or listen to music to drown them out when I'm bivvying as they are quite loud. The ghosty thing doesn't really bother me, I've camped inside ruined castles on islands on solo canoe trips with no worries. As has been stated the only real danger in the UK is from other people and I usually seek out solitude as it's all part of the joy of doing outdoorsy stuff for me (and I'm lucky enough to live in a part of the country where solitude is easy to find). It's an interesting topic though, I have colleagues who really struggle with working alone at night in the middle of nowhere and some of my outdoors buddies acknowledge that they wouldn't solo camp/bivvy like I often do (not trying to brave myself up, just saying).
RichinNW

Post by RichinNW »

I think it’s got something to do with our caveman genes, when the dark cave or woods were somewhere to avoid. Or maybe too many evenings watching Friday night hammer house of horror and Dracula movies ! I used to go on night runs and there’s this long track through a beech wood just like the one in Tim Burton’s sleepy hollow. Gets the adrenaline pumping just thinking about it :0
sunrise, sunsets, the seasons, time with family and mates: A life well lived.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RichinNW wrote:I think it’s got something to do with our caveman genes, when the dark cave or woods were somewhere to avoid.
I reckon this is about right, if you think about it death and danger must have come from the woods and during darkness for thousands of years for our ancestors (either from wild animals or from rival humans). There's probably a wariness of darkness and places where ambush would be likely buried deep in our collective subconscious.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

i know some 'weirdo' crept unnoticed into John climber, Sammy and Waheed's camp a few weeks ago and proclaimed how he could have killed them all :lol: ..... Oh how i laughed :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

i know some 'weirdo' crept unnoticed into John climber, Sammy and Waheed's camp a few weeks ago and proclaimed how he could have killed them all :lol: ..... Oh how i laughed :-bd
You creeping round the woods, now that really is scary :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah... and I thought I struggled to sleep before. :shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Pirahna wrote:Wildcamping in grizzly country, just drifting off to sleep and the crack of a thick branch being broken underfoot. Not my best nights sleep.
Ever read the bear bible 'bear attacks' or similar books?

I've slept in various bear countries and knowing a few things about them really helps to fear other things like rocks and weird shaped trees instead.
I've been visited by many different animals on different continents. The kind of animals many people think they're only here to kill us. Well... turns out they don't, except for some crazed ones (1:10000 for bears). But chances are so uttery small...
Polar bears are different. I've experienced them closing in on us no matter what. They are very curious and will attack us for a warm meal if hungry.
And hippos...

One of my near recently worst places was the Hálendid. I hadn't seen anyone for many, many hours and rode late. As shadows grew so did my imagination. I promise you, Iceland has trolls.

Good grief that was creepy.
This is how it started off. See the two with their dog?

Rock formations? Trolls! Check the background. Full of them.

Once the tent was up and I stopped moving I kind of settled in. But still, I felt surrounded and double checked if the rocks are moving.

I really had a laugh about myself. It's so silly. And I like to be rational.
I'd rather laugh about myself and enjoy the lightshow, instead of hide away for no rational reason.

When out in the wilderness, especially during a spell of thick fog, I often have to talk my girlfriend out of things. Sometimes she's right though, like the moose who ran through our camp, tripping over guylines. Made quite a mess. Yet... didn't kill us.
We always laugh in the end. Why not laugh about it when it's happening?
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
You creeping round the woods, now that really is scary :wink:
it just felt 'right' :-bd :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Welsh locals with shotguns in the middle of the night. Have only rode past that spot once since; never stopped.

Greetz

S.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Wonder if it was the same Welsh locals who 'visited' me on mass a few years
Ago near Nantymoch, complete with hounds....and left me a dead fox as a momento :cool:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I feel more at risk in any town or city at night than I do in any of the places iv bivy'd or camped. Just a reflection of where society is these days I guess, some horrible f!@#%$^ about out there.
Although a badger did run out in front of me once on a night ride and I nearly shate myself :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I bivied with the wife in the local woods once. It was misty and the mist condensing in the trees and dripping onto the leaves on the ground sounded just like footsteps. I said to the wife 'isn't it weird how it sounds like footsteps but they don't seem to get any closer?'. This was moments before I fell fast asleep. Jane on the other hand was awake for hours, eyes on stalks looking into the dark gloom for whatever was walking towards us and not getting any closer :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

PaulE wrote: Got near to where I wanted to stop and just got entirely scared. Not panic type fear, but very calm rational feeling despite mostly coming from seeing (non existent) things in the shadows of my lights.
Could this be a case of good old fashioned primeval instinct kicking in. Even though you couldn't put your finger on it something out there was bothering you on a sub conscious level to such a degree that you took notice and moved on. I'm a great believer in following ones own instincts.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I do wonder whether simply knowing that, 'I am the scariest b'stard in the woods' means it's something I never consider? :-bd
What about the Gruffalo :shock:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

BigdummySteve wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:I do wonder whether simply knowing that, 'I am the scariest b'stard in the woods' means it's something I never consider? :-bd
What about the Gruffalo :shock:
It’s the crafty mouse you need to watch out for though. Master of mind games that little one is :wink:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Ray Young wrote:
PaulE wrote: Got near to where I wanted to stop and just got entirely scared. Not panic type fear, but very calm rational feeling despite mostly coming from seeing (non existent) things in the shadows of my lights.
Could this be a case of good old fashioned primeval instinct kicking in. Even though you couldn't put your finger on it something out there was bothering you on a sub conscious level to such a degree that you took notice and moved on. I'm a great believer in following ones own instincts.
Could well be. I think a lot of came from the discomfort caused by not getting chips, followed by getting too close to "civilisation" thereby increasing the worry about people ...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:<snip>...and left me a dead fox as a momento :cool:
Seems to be a thing they do. We had a very large fox left for us to view in the AM.

Greetz

S.