BB200 - The Aftermath

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pete-G

Re: BB200 - The Aftermath

Post by Pete-G »

Thanks to Stu and the crew for an excellent event. As my first event of this type I wasn't sure what I'd let myself in for, and at midnight over the top of Carnau, I really started questioning myself. However, having met several great people, had a snooze up past Clearwen and getting round the loop without feeling completely destroyed, I might have got the bug.
On the lights subject, I had a cateye 800 lamp on low setting which gave me a more than adequate spread of light right through till gone 2am without any sign of the battery running low. Very happy with that. The rear light I switched off for the few offroad sections purely to make sure I had more than enough battery for any road sections. Given where mine was mounted I needed to wipe the lumps off mud off it anyway which would have rendered it useless regardless of battery life.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just got around to looking at the bike. Front hub completely seized. Bollocks. =/

Looks like I have to replace the entire shifter too (rather than getting a spare part), so that's £90 too.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Still cleaning my bike which is stripped down to component parts.
Had a look at the BB7 calipers yesterday as the new Avid pads had started to fade during the ride.
The front had tussock grass wedged up inside between the top of the pads and the caliper the rear was clean inside.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ha, must be the weekend of cleaning/servicing bikes from the BB200. I think this years was pretty harsh on components - my freehub was so close to being dead as I rolled in at the end.

On inspection of everything - wheel bearings all ok (but they were relatively new - but had been round the cairngorm loop). It's the last ride the chain and cassette managed. XT mech has started to get play on the pivot - I wish they'd make the pivot on shadow mechs serviceable... XTR Bottom Bracker borderline siezed, but can get it to moved without play, just a bit of grumbling so I'll carry on using that for a bit! Serviced the brake calipers and replaced a single brake pad as one was far more worn than the rest - but in fairness these pads have a fair bit of mileage behind them. Actually managed to sort out my freehub, so the wheels are good to go again, but in the meantime I might have got hold of an ebay bargain with some chris king hubs because i thought the wheel was dead :lol:

The bike transporting car on the other hand needs a new set of rear tyres and some new rear upper shock absorber mounts (although these I suspect are original so have done 194k miles). It also desperately needs an LSD, but that's besides the point.

Maybe I should get a hobby in computer games, seems less hassle :roll:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Last rides my bike did were the BB200, The YD300 and the Cambrian Trail.

I don't think it enjoyed the experience.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Yep, definitely a hard day in that grinding paste. Chain was supper clean by the end, but probably fit for the bin; hope the cassette is salvageable, but won't know until I try a new chain and see if it will mesh nicely. They've both done 111 hours from new; roughly 1200km, I guess, but nice and cheap Sram Eagle... Last time (Sram 11 Speed) I just let the chain, cassette and ring wear out together and managed about 3000km

Usual trashing of brake pads, the rear hydraulics needs bleeding and I'm due a fork/shock service (also done 111 hrs ago, pre-HT). Rear tyre (1500km) needs replacing too. What gutted me the most was the near destruction of my newest Assos lycra shorts; no saddle bag or fender = relentless gritty water shower leading to abrasion through the ass! WTF was I thinking ditching the w/p shorts...
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ordered a complete new hub for my rear wheel as the freehub had disintegrated and it was cheaper to buy the hub than freewheel and axle. Just need to clean the cassette and put it all back together.

Bike does need some tlc - brakes are spongey, chainring has teeth missing and chain is worn....

Forks recently serviced and work jusy like new
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

You guys must have had more fun that me! I’ve done nothing to my bike since, other than give it a bit of a wash.

It was freshly serviced before but nothing since.
burty

Post by burty »

same here ian , gave it a good wash, lube etc ,
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thing is Ian, I hate it when there is a little niggle with the bike - it has to run as sweet as a sweet thing. My bikes seem to need constant fettling, which might mean I need a new one.....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That's why I get virtually no mechanicals though I'd have thought... the bike is either running perfectly, or it's in bits.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Zippy wrote: and some new rear upper shock absorber mounts
Which I have just ordered directly from BMW, and they have cost me less than a reduced price 10 speed XT cassette that I bought for the bike! :roll:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

slarge wrote:Thing is Ian, I hate it when there is a little niggle with the bike - it has to run as sweet as a sweet thing. My bikes seem to need constant fettling, which might mean I need a new one.....
Might? :wink:

Sounds like you are sold Steve!

:lol:

I do need to think about a tyre swap soon though. I rode ikons all through last winter as I never got round to swapping!
paramart

Post by paramart »

burty wrote:same here ian ,viv gave it a good wash, lube etc ,
FTFY :lol: :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Forgotten I took a picture of this stuff just wedged in my BB7 calipers.
ImageP1140078 (800x597) by michaelandamanda, on Flickr

Never experienced this before.
Couldn't work out why the brakes were fading yet levers were not showing extra travel as they would if the pads were worn.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.