Spot Gen 3 USB port Cover

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Spot Gen 3 USB port Cover

Post by dlovett »

A friend borrowed my spot and it came back without the rubber USB port cover. Anybody know anywhere you can get these, ideally for this weekend?

Yes I have googled it and emailed spot and I'm still waiting to hear.

Anybody not going want to "hire" me their cover for the weekend if not?

Many thanks

Duncan
sean_iow

Re: Spot Gen 3 USB port Cover

Post by sean_iow »

The cover on mine is detached from the unit, the little rubber bit that holds it on when it's open is broken. I emailed SPOT about spares and the reply I got was it's not available :sad: Not much help I'm afraid. It seems to stay on when closed, so far anyway. If you do come up with a source I'll be interested to hear as I'd like to replace mine.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Is it not just a generic micro USB end or something? Rs components or farnell must have something.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Sugru it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Here's a pic of mine as a reference

Mine's split where it fixes under the screw.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Not sure about the Spot but Garmin say their ports are waterproof. The cover is just to keep the clag out.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Garmin ports aren't despite what they say. I know from my one experience my edge will only charge now and cannot connect to a computer with USB any longer. Garmin say I got the port wet!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've got some spare port covers now, they aren't from Garmin but they might work. I'll have some at the BB200, come and find me before the start.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

dlovett wrote:Garmin ports aren't despite what they say. I know from my one experience my edge will only charge now and cannot connect to a computer with USB any longer. Garmin say I got the port wet!
Quite a common problem I've discovered recently. Quite a bit info out there on how to deal with corrosion on the USB ports on the Edge units.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Pete-G wrote:
dlovett wrote:Garmin ports aren't despite what they say. I know from my one experience my edge will only charge now and cannot connect to a computer with USB any longer. Garmin say I got the port wet!
Quite a common problem I've discovered recently. Quite a bit info out there on how to deal with corrosion on the USB ports on the Edge units.
Sadly I have tried everything know to man and the internet. Not sure I can be bothered soldering a new socket in. After all it does charge and I can do most other bits wirelessly.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Spot have come back to me and said that for warranty repairs it's the activation dat not the purchase date that matters. as mine was renewed in April, they say it's under warranty. Might be worth email spot for your activation dates and then making a warranty claim. I'll post back when I hear more.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have just received and email saying they are sending me a new unit, and to send the old one back to them. Seems a bit extreme for a rubber cover but oh well.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Low and behold a ups guy has just delivered my a big box containing a brand new spot unit in full retail packaging.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

dlovett wrote:Low and behold a ups guy has just delivered my a big box containing a brand new spot unit in full retail packaging.
Maybe that explains why our subscriptions are so expensive! :lol:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I dd try to tell them tree times I didn't need a new unit, but just a cover. Still they have now disconnected my old unit from the service plan and seem to be having difficulty adding my plan the the new unit!

I really wish there was a viable alternative.