BB200 2017 Resupply Points

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: BB200 2017 Resupply Points

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Way too early to be second-guessing the weather; do you have too many people on the start list?
I'm not second guessing, I'm looking at a forecast which may or may not prove to be accurate. If I were guessing, I'd say it'll be 24 degrees, with a light tailwind and constant sunshine :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: I'd say it'll be 24 degrees, with a light tailwind and constant sunshine :wink:
Good call, I'll pack extra suncream just in case :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

sean_iow wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote: I'd say it'll be 24 degrees, with a light tailwind and constant sunshine :wink:
Good call, I'll pack extra suncream just in case :lol:
And Smidge. :shock:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

No need for smidge I reckon they will all be in bed now :wink: well here's hoping those little bast Ards have all died!!!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I got midged in the Cairngorms this afternoon. Not badly, but they're a still about.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Way too early to be second-guessing the weather; do you have too many people on the start list?
I'm not second guessing, I'm looking at a forecast which may or may not prove to be accurate. If I were guessing, I'd say it'll be 24 degrees, with a light tailwind and constant sunshine :wink:
I won't even look at a forecast until D-3, otherwise I'll spend my whole week shuffling through kit options as the chaos theory models unravel!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

And another thing... Is it ever OK to just drink ground water in Wales without filtering or treating it? I can never be arsed with such things in Scotland, and have yet to pay the price for my laziness, but fear they may be more agricultural contaminants in Welsh streams. Or do I just carry a massive 3L water-anchor on my back?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:And another thing... Is it ever OK to just drink ground water in Wales without filtering or treating it? I can never be arsed with such things in Scotland, and have yet to pay the price for my laziness, but fear they may be more agricultural contaminants in Welsh streams. Or do I just carry a massive 3L water-anchor on my back?
Same rules Craig, if you are in the uplands then unless there's something obvious in sight like a rotting carcase then I never bother. A bit trickier on "in-land" as you get higher stock levels and associated contamination. I avoid any water course below buildings that are in use.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Generally you're okay but it's difficult to judge what's upstream. I will take flowing water directly from source when in forests or once I'm high up and the sheep population has dwindled. As ever - always upstream of bridges, fords or paths and never when there's any sign of human activity.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Cheers I was looking at the First A44 crossing, not the 2nd one.
ianfitz wrote:
dlovett wrote:
ianfitz wrote:the A44 BP is 7am-10pm
Hi Ian, Where exactly is that petrol station, I can't see it on the maps or sat images?

Cheers

d
head left on the A44 - just off route it's on google maps if you look at the sat. images
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

There's a relatively good pub in Ffair Rhos. Looks like quite a bit off the route, but when I did it on the Cambrian Trail it only took about 3 mins there, and 6 mins back.

Service isn't very quick, but if you wanted some drink / crisps or something it could be a good option.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Richard, i wouldnt bank on that... when me and hux rode past there last time it was shut down and as far as we could see there was nothing in the village. We had to ride down the hill to Pontrhydfendigaid. And thats a big hill to climb back up on the road which i wont be doing. But somebody may know more about the pub on here?

Iv just googled it and im sure its a house now
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shut when I was last past and on NYD when we rode past Mike.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The pub in Ffair Rhos is called the Teifi Inn, used to eat there regularly when I had a place in Devils Bridge but afaik it closed about 3 years ago. Shame as it was a nice place, this may be incorrect as I've been away from the UK for 2 years. Fwiw there's a convenience store in Ysbytty Ystwyth, it's just on the left hairpin junction coming from Ffair Rhos as you enter the village. Not sure if it's on the route but might help.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

If it closed three years ago I'd love to know where I ate 6 months ago. I may have been hallucinating at the time, but I doubt it. :lol:

Edit - Yeah, 13th of May 2017. Has it closed since?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

In the 20 or so years I spent visiting Devils Bridge most weekends, it probably closed and reopened about 5 times. I think it suffered from a lack of local trade compared to the fleshpots of Pontrhydfendigaid :smile:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I guess the question is, who amongst us has ridden past it most recently? :lol:

Lacking any definitive answer (or reliable phone number) I think I'd still be willing to risk the extra 10 minutes on the off chance.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Doesn't (01974) 831355 work then? It's the number I've got in my mobile.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

The last review on Google was written 3 months ago - and it wasn't something along the lines of -'we ate a stale pie and contracted ecoli' - it actually sounded promising
Last edited by adjustablewench on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Oh and it closes early on Monday 9.30, doesn't open on Tuesdays and is open as normal the rest of the week - until 11.30 on Sat

Just in case you are thinking of ringing to check if it's open tomorrow - Google says it won't be :)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'd be intrigued to know if it has reopened. On the second WRT a fairly large group spent the evening there and bivvied in the childrens play area at the back, including bedding down in a Wendy house. The landlord spoke of little else for weeks.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I was pleased to be provided with rum and a hot meal to see me on my way to a soaking wet Strata Florida climb. :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've been there twice.

First time 2013, the year the original BB200 route was ridden backwards. Mark, Gratters, Stu and I ate there, food menu was fancy, and fairly pricey at that time. Stu only had a bank card - which they didn't accept. So I bought his dinner and he repayed me with a mini stove - which I still have :-bd

Mark and I also stopped there November last year. The place was quite changed! Walking in was a bit like a stranger walking into a saloon bar in a western. Everyone in there stopped drinking and looked up at us. All three of them...

We asked if they were doing food. Landlord, who was smoking a fag behind the bar (!) said yes I've got frozen steaks and chips or some cawl from a function yesterday. We sat by the woodburner and he brought us never-ending bowls of it, with bread and cheese. When we were ready to leave we settled up. £4 each!

Google says there are two websites
http://teifiinn.co.uk
http://home2.btconnect.com/teifiinn/location1.html

and two phone numbers
01974 831608
01974 831355

so who knows whats going on there now..
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Very different when I was there. Completely packed, three barmaids, very friendly.

Good crowd too. Got loads of questions about what I was doing.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Richard G wrote:Very different when I was there. Completely packed, three barmaids, very friendly.

Good crowd too. Got loads of questions about what I was doing.
Richard - do you have a Grid Ref? I have given up trying to find Welsh towns on the map as everywhere is equally unpronounceable; might as well be in China!