shimano disc pads with fins .....worthwhile??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rich.mike

Re: shimano disc pads with fins .....worthwhile??

Post by rich.mike »

Zippy wrote:So I was just test riding my road bike down the street, and whipped out my thermal imaging camera (as you do) after some braking. Yeah - those heatsink fins on the pads really do something!
Just showed this to my brakes engineer friend and got this reply:

"Yes. They will be there to try and protect against fluid boil. If the backplate is hot then it's too late to protect against brake fade. Also shows how efficient a tiny disc is. As that's already cold in the image"

Interesting stuff.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So that was on my road bike, not specific testing of any sort, just I'd managed to severely contaminate the front brake - and after various methods - I finally cleared them, and I happened to be fiddling with my thermal imaging camera. I would quite like to test several setups, using a specific mass, specific speed, at same ambient conditions and coming to a halt at the same point (i.e. same amount of energy dissipation) and then leave the imaging camera with a data logging mode at several points. I expect shimano have done something like this...a very quick google leaves me with little to find.

Anyway, that was on my road bike with a 140mm ice tech "freeza" disc. So it's the triple layer thing with added heatsink fins.

You can see how effective it is - the centre bore/spider still has residual heat, and the heatsink on the disc, but the braking surface has cooled significantly. Compare that to the heatsinks on the pad which have far less surface area to dissipate the heat - I'm impressed by these little discs!

Now the discs and pads are all part of a system converting kinetic energy into heat – and then trying to shed the heat to atmosphere. Passenger vehicles on everyday run of the mill vehicles have ventilated discs (the centre bit) and often cooling vents from the bumper to the discs/calipers. Move onto WRC cars and because of trying to shoehorn huge gravel tyres, low-ish speeds for venting but lots of braking, you’ve got water cooled calipers! Anyway, back to these bicycle brakes – the vented pads are all part of this system. I’d be interested in doing some studies – but life is too short. All I’ll say is the snapshot from the thermal imaging camera really impressed me. I’d also used a blowtorch on the pads (burning off contamination, a last resort, and it worked!) and the heat really did transfer through to the fins.

So yes, bigger discs for more heat dissipation, but the fins really do something effectively. The cost side of things is a different matter altogether, and whether it’s worth the cash is entirely subjective to the individual.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

p.s. this is the best thread I've found on the subject - there's some areas to think about in amongst the chat. It was pointed out the the large alu spider is works as a heatsink, but also that keeping temps down really does help on pad wear - just all things pointed out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/finne ... 05802.html
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Here too a big fan of Al spider rotors.

But not so much with the Icetec rotors as I've seen some go kaputt. Guess it's not an issue for most places and riders, but for some.

I used some superstar rotors with Al fins and was happy how they performed, but no Al sandwich here.