Tuscany Trail 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

Tuscany Trail 2018

Post by gairym »

Too early....?

I'll be there again (4th year in a row, only missed the 1st edition).

Andrea just posted on the facebook that it'll miss out the evil hills on day one (and two if you're not quick) next time around (yay!).

Instead it'll skirt them and so it should be a breeze (ha!) to get to Florence on day one.

I've also heard a rumor that it might not start in Massa but that's no big deal really.

Any else thinking of giving it a go next year?
rufus748

Re: Tuscany Trail 2018

Post by rufus748 »

Yup !
Looking forward to it, unless there's an unforseen major disaster I'll be there.
Strangely enough whilst up a ladder today (nn not Stu's) pulling down a ceiling it crossed my mind to open a thread but I did question if it was too early. Obviously not :-bd
robbie

Post by robbie »

Its a shame they are taking out the hills on day 1
The decents were a bit brutal on the cross bike tho but there was some nice views.
Not doing it next year got my eye on something else.
gairym

Post by gairym »

robbie wrote:Its a shame they are taking out the hills on day 1
The decents were a bit brutal on the cross bike tho but there was some nice views.
In a way I agree and the views are fantastic but.....after 3 goes of being utterly broken after the first day I'm really looking forward to a gentler beginning to the trip.

What else are you considering for next year?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Wanted to do this for ages, but it happens during that small window of Goldilocks conditions so loads of conflicting events. I think next year it clashes with the TINAT Audax.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Wanted to do this for ages, but it happens during that small window of Goldilocks conditions so loads of conflicting events. I think next year it clashes with the TINAT Audax.
Same here, and same problem. I think I'm just going to have to blank that week off in the 2019 calendar.
Last edited by SixPotBelly on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbie

Post by robbie »

gairym wrote:
In a way I agree and the views are fantastic but.....after 3 goes of being utterly broken after the first day I'm really looking forward to a gentler beginning to the trip.

What else are you considering for next year?
I'm wanting to do a few things but with time away from the family being an issue I can't do everything I want!!
Either the Italy divide race and a tour of the west coast, hebridies etc as i reckon these could be done in 1 week each
or the french divide probably 2 weeks.
Oh and the Highland trail
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

:shock:

those climbs were bl00dy awful
robbie

Post by robbie »

Asposium wrote:
:shock:

those climbs were bl00dy awful
I disagree! they are classed as horse category on strava as they are so steep! but It got you high quickly the views were great. and the decent was great, I just wished I'd had a mtb bike for the decent. It was by far my favourite day. getting passed Florence and then falling asleep in a field for a few hours was great.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

For those that have done both this and TNR, how do the routes compare? Both in terms of climbing and the surfaces?

I picture less climbing but more off-road. Still maybe rideable on a gravel bike but more suited to an MTB. Would that be about right?
gairym

Post by gairym »

We got into Florence at midnight this year and I was mostly dead!

Here's the profile:

gairym

Post by gairym »

SixPotBelly wrote:For those that have done both this and TNR, how do the routes compare? Both in terms of climbing and the surfaces?

I picture less climbing but more off-road. Still maybe rideable on a gravel bike but more suited to an MTB. Would that be about right?
Based on previous years I'd say up until Florence is mountain bike territory and comparably 'up and downy'. After Florence it's still climby but much less severe and mostly gravel roads. The 'island' at the end is looser and steeper again but it's only a short section.

But I'm not sure how much will change next time round???
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'll also add that each year I've done it I've been determined that next time I'll do it on a gravel bike.

Then in august I spent some time down riding between Florence and Sienna on my gravel bike and am now cured of my desire to ride the whole thing, fully loaded on a gravel bike. Just a bit too soft in places and loose in others for me to relax whilst riding on 40c tyres.

I'll be taking a skinny-ish tyred rigid 29er again next year as it seems (imho) to be the best compromise over the full distance.

Although.....I was considering beginning with an old pair of MTB tyres and a set of gravel tyres folded in my kit and then ditching the MTB tyres after Florence and continuing on the gravel tyres.

We'll have to wait and see what the new route looks like.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

That's really helpful, thanks Gairy :-bd

It's encouraging that you've at least considered a gravel bike, as that's what I have, but I do have hankerings over a rigid 29er for this and similar sorts of ride.

Maybe on yours you could start with some soft, high TPI-count knobblies and by halfway they'll be nicely worn slick :)
gairym

Post by gairym »

Afternoon folks,

Entries now open for this years Tuscany Trail*!

I'm in, anyone else thinking about it for 2018?

A few other Brits I've ridden it with over the last few years are in too.

Bring it on.....

(*despite it being my 4th year and me being a massive advocate of this event I am in no way linked to the event other than emotionally :-bd )
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'd be interested in doing something similar, but kinda been there and done that.

Memories were (apart of the rain) it was chuffing hot at that time of year and the amount of people doing it kinda made it feel like a sportive.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I might be interested, I've not done an organised event like this though, isn't it a bit crowded with so many people? I can imagine struggling to find a hedge that doesn't already have a bikepacker sleeping in it..

How many days do people do it over?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Not doing again
Do something else.
Felt the entry fee was very high for so little; I know it’s self supported. Either charge less entry or at least provide a free meal at the end.

2017 was an experience.
Those hills, that heat, wrong bike, too much stuff.
Though, was my first bikepacking event, so a learning curve.

Met some lovely people through.
Didn’t mind seeing other riders, bit like seeing other riders on a WRT

Finished early afternoon of the fourth day.
Was generally riding between 6 and 7am (whilst cool), have a break around mid day (max heat), then ride until sunset. Didn’t have any lights.
Last edited by Asposium on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Chew wrote:I'd be interested in doing something similar....
Isn't that what we did in 2016? :lol:
Asposium wrote:Felt the entry fee was very high for so little
I suppose it depends if you use the offer of s place to sleep one night at either end. If so the cost doesn't (to me) seem excessive but if not then you're really only getting a line to follow and a hat.
Joe wrote:I might be interested, I've not done an organised event like this though, isn't it a bit crowded with so many people?
Not at all. On day one sure, there are a lot of people around you until the field gets strung out but after that I've frequently found myself totally alone for most of a day at a time.
How many days do people do it over?
For me somewhere between 4-5 days seems about right. Long days but not popping a lung and enough time to soak it all in.

Having said that I'm aiming for under the 4 day mark this year just to push myself a bit more.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I thought it was a great route and event. Well worth doing the end around the island was tough but very nice. Took me 55 hours to do it.
gairym

Post by gairym »

robbie wrote:I thought it was a great route and event. Well worth doing the end around the island was tough but very nice.
Yeah, mentally you relax a bit thinking that's it's just round a little island, over a little hill and then you're home free.

Then four hours later you're befuddled and wondering if the damn island will ever end!

Nearly killed me at almost midnight the first year.

Stunning views though (in the daylight).
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

This is a definite maybe for this year.

Whose round is it Gairy?
gairym

Post by gairym »

70% full!
gairym

Post by gairym »

In Reverse wrote:This is a definite maybe for this year.

Whose round is it Gairy?
Yours?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

gairym wrote:70% full!
Best I pull my finger out then...