Bugoutbike project

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

OscarMike

Bugoutbike project

Post by OscarMike »

Hi everyone. i have a question a little different to what you guys are probably used to. i work in a small bike shop in the hauge netherlands. i am new to bikes and dont have any experience in bikepacking. i understand that you guys are the experts when it comes to transporting gear from A to B and surviving in the countryside in the process. my boss is a prepper and has been working on a project for some time now building a bugout bike. for himself and possibly potential customers. basically its a bike which is rugged and can carry a lot of gear long distance in a "end of the world as we know it" senario. might sound a little crazy to some of you but i assure you its a fun project. the bike he is currently building is a surly ogre with 3" tires rack on the back and plenty of bags attached.
basically my boss has asked me if i could design and put together my own bugout bike. the problem is i have no idea where to start. i need to look for a good sturdy frame which can handle fat tires, for offroad use, has plenty of mounting points for racks and bags and is comfortable to ride long distances. i would like a frame with front suspension but im not sure if its practical. i assumed you guys would be the perfect people to ask as you guys are experts in surviving long periods of time using just the gear you take with you. if you could help me out with choosing a frame or even just post your setups to give me an idea of what to look for. i could just go with surly but i want to do something different from my boss. i want to impress him with a unique setup.
thanks in advance. :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bugoutbike project

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In this case, I think simplicity is key, so would certainly go rigid and steel. Otherwise, I think it's a matter of deciding (which you may already have) whether this is a styling exercise or whether it's a genuine attempt to build whatever is most suitable for when zombies rule the earth :wink: I'm thinking things like wheel / tyre size ... styling - then 26" x 4" tyres will produce a real beyond the thunderdome look. For practical purposes, 26" or 650b with 'normalish' sized tyres would probably prove more practical as replacements would likely be easier to source.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Guessing the best thing about your location is that it can be a Singlespeed.. so the ultimate in simplicity.

Mind, having said that, I'd move back to Scheveningen tomorrow if i could. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd go rigid and steel, 26inch wheels and 'normal' hub spacing

It would need to be a bike that you can nick other bike parts from donor bikes to easily replace broken things
OscarMike

Post by OscarMike »

thanks for the replies.
i want the bike to be as practical as possible. the 4" tires and mad setup would look cool but lets face it we live in europe with roads everywhere. if one was to bugout i think they would most likely stick to backroads and maybe duck into the forest only to spend the night.
so i have decided on 2.5" / 2.6" tyre for my first bugout bike. this might change in the future once i have more experience building these bikes. i still need help figuring out how to attach all my gear to the bike. i have seen pictures of bikes with a lot of gear attached to the front do you have a secret for this or is it just a standard rack? any info from your own setups would greatly be appriciated.

cheers
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

A Genesis Longtitude (or something similar) would be a good starting point. Can run 27.5, 27.5+ and 29" tyres, has "old" 100mm/135mm QR dropouts and rack/cage mounts everywhere. Can also be set up singlespeed or hub geared thanks to the horizontal dropouts. Stick a dynamo in the front wheel for lights and charging and wave goodbye to civilisation!

Here's mine in action:

*Edit - does your boss know something the rest of us don't? :???:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

You'll need somewhere to mount the short-barrel shotgun where it can easily be brought into action. I would suggest some sort of mount on the fork (same side as dominant hand). and perhaps a bandolier on the top tube for quick re-load.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Surly ECR with Surly Extraterrestrials run singlespeed, most everything else is fairly personal.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I think the E/t's are on of the best all round (sorry) tyres going :lol:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Like the sound of this, it would have to be a rigid steel frame for me, perhaps with steel left raw to rust up a bit for real apocalyptic look, racks front and rear, soft luggage would never stand up to the ruff and tumble of avoiding zombies all day, and dare I say a basket on top of the front rack, perfect for throwing all your loot in that you find as you pedal from town to town in search of some remaining civilization!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Blair512 wrote:perfect for throwing all your loot in that you find as you pedal from town to town in search of some remaining civilization!
Sounds like the WRT :-bd seriously though one of the new salsa blackborrow mid tail fat bikes would be ideal or a big fat dummy. That way you could carrry a full sized shotgun, “people want a bit more range these days” :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
OscarMike

Post by OscarMike »

So an update. we found a bike frame that my boss had kicking around for a few years now. its an old santos frame (dutch brand) and we mated a koga forks to it. with that we put a rohloff 14 speed in the rear. as it is a closed system it wont get dirty inside. the rear has your standard brakes but the front will have discs. on the front we got your standard shimano dynamo but we got a cool gadget which will allow the user to charge usb devices. so phones, radio lights batteries etc. as a front light its getting a usb rechargable light which can double as a flashlight. we tried to fit 2.2 nobby nicks on there but just wouldnt fit in the koga front forks so we went for continentals 2.2 and they juuust barely fit by a bees dick. and i think they look better anyway. its got a rack on the back and we have ordered a rack for the front to put the all important bugout bag. today i sprayed the front forks matte black to match the rest of the bike. been a fun project. its not done tho. still needs the front frame a proper saddal and still waiting on some parts. will be cool once its done and we have all the bags on there.
as much as i would love to mount an AR15 to the frame my boss would just slap me. as we live in holland we bug out the boring way with no cool gear like shotguns or tactical axes. we just get a sleeping bag and a shitty fishing kit [pole not included :(.]
however we are thinking of attaching a stanley fubar (small one) to the frame somehow for added buggoutness
oh i forgot to add. this is a 26" wheelset. the other bugout bike we are building which is nearing completion is a Surly ogre which is massive. my boss has already ordered a Surly ECR for the next bike.
Attachments
far out. had to make this picture so freakin small man. what the hell :P
far out. had to make this picture so freakin small man. what the hell :P
Bug 1.jpg (131.94 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
OscarMike

Post by OscarMike »

Blair512 wrote:Like the sound of this, it would have to be a rigid steel frame for me, perhaps with steel left raw to rust up a bit for real apocalyptic look, racks front and rear, soft luggage would never stand up to the ruff and tumble of avoiding zombies all day, and dare I say a basket on top of the front rack, perfect for throwing all your loot in that you find as you pedal from town to town in search of some remaining civilization!
we are thinking of painting a frame camo for a future bike but i like the rust idea. if we just let it rust for a while then paint a clear over the top to preserve the rust would look kinda cool. give it a rat rod look. basket is also a good idea but we are putting a rack for the bugout bag in the front. idea being you can just chuck you bag on the bike and take it off if you want to go explore on foot.
BigdummySteve wrote:
Sounds like the WRT :-bd seriously though one of the new salsa blackborrow mid tail fat bikes would be ideal or a big fat dummy. That way you could carrry a full sized shotgun, “people want a bit more range these days” :lol:
those salsa blackborrows are beast unfortunately they also come with a beasty price.
johnb

Post by johnb »

Is this OscarMike a loon or what?
Obviously the Santos Travelmaster 2.6 alu is the first choice prepper bike. Why would you want your bike to rust? you don't know when you are going to be saved. Also I have used big apple front and rear on my Santos Travelmaster 2.6 alu with room to spare. The standard version comes with rigida grizzlys rims. 2 spare pairs of brake pads will keep you going till the zombies start to run out of humans to eat and start eating each other instead. Good luck everyone and remember it only takes one bite and your mother would end up a zombie, moreover your ex-wife is probably one already.

Signed Issues.

PS second choice bike
https://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/new ... ers-46323/