Getting better a bikepacking/bikepack racing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

giryan

Getting better a bikepacking/bikepack racing?

Post by giryan »

So, something big that the the Cairngorms loop highlighted for me was that there are technical bits of riding for bikepacking that I could definitely improve.

There were a lot of other things that I could do to get better at to be better at bikepacking:
a general lack of packing & prep occurred
left my helmet in the previous night's lodging.
really could do to get better at riding distance.
I forgot my wallet
etc...

but of all of them the bit of riding that I struggled with was this:
I spent a long long time through a bit of singletrack that I'm sure I could've done way better on.
It was the bit after the peat bog section when the trail leaves Edendon water until just after Loch an Duin.
The hill was fairly steep so often I had to have my left pedal up most of the time to avoid rocks & heather clumps, it was sticky enough that I couldn't freewheel much, and so I could get one or two strokes before coming to a halt again.
It was narrow enough that also I couldn't hike along side the bike.

So I ended up doing a fairly awkward thing pushing with my left leg, and nearly pedalling with my right.

So, how did people ride that bit?

And do people have any ideas about getting better at the technical riding bits of bikepacking, generally other than trial and error? :)
Last edited by giryan on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianfitz

Re: Getting better a bikepacking/bikepack racing?

Post by ianfitz »

that sort of off-camber, nadgery and awkward trail are my favourite!

the postie path is like that stretch but steeper and narrower. I have no idea how I can ride ground like that fairly well, am by no means an authority on this but reckon the following are worth considering:

balance/trials skills. track stands - stop and go into them
being able to lift the front and back of the bike over objects at different speeds
focus/looking where the line is not at the object you want to avoid
Go on a skills course or get some coaching. In most other hobbies this is a given but for some reason people seem reluctant to do this for off road riding. Find an MTB coach who knows about bikepacking and knows about riding natural trails rather than berms and tabletops. There's someone closer than you think who 'may' be bel to help with that!
Chew

Post by Chew »

giryan wrote:I spent a long long time through a bit of singletrack that I'm sure I could've done way better on.
It was the bit after the peat bog section when the trail leaves Edendon water until just after Loch an Duin.
The hill was fairly steep so often I had to have my left pedal up most of the time to avoid rocks & heather clumps, it was sticky enough that I couldn't freewheel much, and so I could get one or two strokes before coming to a halt again.
It was mostly rideable, as long as you were ok with the exposure.

Like most things, just ride lots of natural trails and eventually you'll improve :-bd
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

giryan wrote:So, something big that the the Cairngorms loop highlighted for me was that there are technical bits of riding for bikepacking that I could definitely improve.

There were a lot of other things that I could do to get better at to be better at bikepacking:
a general lack of packing & prep occurred
left my helmet in the previous night's lodging.
really could do to get better at riding distance.
I forgot my wallet
etc...

but of all of them the bit of riding that I struggled with was this:
I spent a long long time through a bit of singletrack that I'm sure I could've done way better on.

So I ended up doing a fairly awkward thing pushing with my left leg, and nearly pedalling with my right.

So, how did people ride that bit?

And do people have any ideas about getting better at the technical riding bits of bikepacking, generally other than trial and error? :)
i`ll be willing to bet that you didn`t walk as much as I did!! I think at one stage my bike was no more than an encumberance.
I rode/ pushed a singlspeed rigid 29er, I do think it was not the ideal tool for tech singletrack , maybe a front suss 27.5 wheeled 20 speed bike would have been better?
What were you riding?
That said, I`m sure a good rider (Ianfitz?) could shred it regardless of the bike.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Chew wrote:Like most things, just ride lots of natural trails and eventually you'll improve
To some extent, but I agree with Ian that we need to be more receptive to the idea of education and training if we are to make rapid improvements. I can't think of any other 'sport' (and this is in the context of 'racing') where aspiring athletes would just plug away at an activity in the vain hope that repetition of the wrong technique will somehow lead to a sudden parting of the clouds. Finding a coach with the right skills, knowledge and attitude, who can communicate on a level that really connects is so important, and I'm sure many of us have been put off by bad instructors (of some activity) in the past.

Once you have the right techniques, or at least things to focus on, consolidate by riding on loads of trails that challenge but don't overwhelm you. then repeat until you reach your talent apex!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

If you want your skills sharpened up ride with someone better than yourself. Someone who likes a bit of exploring and bush wacking, and will show you a few new challenging bits of trails. Someone who will push your skill limits, because if they can do it so can you.... eventually.
giryan

Post by giryan »

Thanks for the tips! :)

I was on a 29er HT, looking like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZMmawilbIP/

Sounds like there would be really good use in improving regular MTB skills, even if I couldn't find a coach that gets bikepacking, and Cannock Chase is not that far, so I'll get in touch with people and see. :)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

giryan wrote: The hill was fairly steep so often I had to have my left pedal up most of the time to avoid rocks & heather clumps, it was sticky enough that I couldn't freewheel much, and so I could get one or two strokes before coming to a halt again.

It's often just quicker to get off and walk/run, pushing the bike alongside. Sometimes that means using the thin path and the bike making it's way through the heather. Every time you stop, get off, walk a bit, get on, start pedalling, get off again etc just makes for really slow progress.

Looking at your photo, it seems you had quite a lot of kit with you too. It's obvious, but less weight on the bike makes handling it easier - whether riding or pushing/carrying.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Hi Matt

Firstly, Ian's hint at the coach you are looking for may have been a little too subtle, it's Stuart, the man responsible for this place. I've no experience of his coaching or nowt else but as a one stop shop for learning a bit about all aspects of biking and bike packing I'd think he might be a decent man to contact.

As for the replies, they all have elements worth taking note of.

As some have mentioned, just getting out there is important, we generally get better at things as we become more used to doing them. That said, blindly repeating mistakes is not helpful, the fact you have posted suggests you are looking at this with an open mind and a willingness to learn and progress, so you are already analyzing what works and what doesn't.

From a personal point of view I found working on 1 or 2 elements of my riding at a time helps, trying to nails 5 or 6 things at once just muddles me and I end up achieving very little.

The other thing is don't rush it, becoming an adept rider takes time and to be honest it never ends. Every ride I tend to play with some nuance of my riding, the ever changing trails and conditions mean I can at least try something and then learn from the results, it's part of what keeps me interested.

Just read this post back, not sure I've contributed anything but hey...
giryan

Post by giryan »

ScotRoutes wrote:It's often just quicker to get off and walk/run, pushing the bike alongside. Sometimes that means using the thin path and the bike making it's way through the heather. Every time you stop, get off, walk a bit, get on, start pedalling, get off again etc just makes for really slow progress.

Looking at your photo, it seems you had quite a lot of kit with you too. It's obvious, but less weight on the bike makes handling it easier - whether riding or pushing/carrying.
Yeah, I do think that there is probably too much as well. but less this time than the previous trip, so heading in the right direction.
I've not weighed everything yet, but did bring it all back together so that I can work that out, and I know I should start a "what was useful, what wasn't, what I didn't need, what I missed" list.
Admittedly this time I didn't stay out for that long, so there was stuff I didn't use that definitely I would have.
Mbnut wrote:Just read this post back, not sure I've contributed anything but hey...
You did, at the very least I had missed the subtle talk to Stuart bit. ;)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If it's racing, then use the most efficient way of getting A-B (not always pedalling). Prime example of this are steep climbs
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

voodoo_simon wrote:If it's racing, then use the most efficient way of getting A-B (not always pedalling). Prime example of this are steep climbs

That is true, but fitness and skill may change that for people. Also having the fitness to 'redline' for a short time knowing you'll be able to keep riding and semi-recover after. eg:

During the Braunton 150 I rode with Liam Glen for a while. Until we got to a set of shallow steps at the start of a steep, loose climb. he rode the steps and carried on up the climb. I walked it all because after pushing up the steps I couldn't get started on the loose climb. So it was probably more efficient for me but if I was better technically better and fitter then I could have rode it. Not sure I would have been with him for much longer in any case!

In terms of the OP I set up a segment on strava for that Loch side singletrack. KOM is 10:51 (Liam from the April groups start) and two days before we were there Markus Stitz took 34 minutes to cover it. Guessing he was pushing. 6 days in to his 'central belter' ride he was likely tired and lacking focus (understandable!)

To go back to efficiency - its more efficient to push a slippy techy section in half an hour than try and ride it, crash a bit and get injured or break your bike. Can lose serious time then!

Also, I'll add some more drills to my post above - postie mounts and dismounts. scoot on one pedal getting on and off the bike - both sides. Start on easy, level ground, get off, jog along with the bike, get back on. once you've nailed it, try it up and down hill and on rough ground.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I rode most of that section, probably 90%, the bits I walked were generally those where I'd lost momentum. I think that's a key thing, keeping momentum, generally being in a big enough gear to be able to push through things rather than the fashionable "I have to spin at 90rpm+ No matter what", I was most likely using either 32:32 or 32:28 possibly 32:24 (on a 29er)

I was stood up on the pedals for quite a lot of that bit as well. This lets you move your weight around more easily.

Try and figure out what was holding you back: the technicality; the exposure; etc. then work on that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

One point that occurred to me: which foot do you lead with? I.E. with pedals level, which foot/pedal is forward?

I lead with my right foot so on a track on a slope that drops to the right any uphill pedal strike is to the rear of the centre of the bike. I didn't find the Postie's path hard for the same reason but the track in the upper part of Glen Tilt is the opposite slope nowhere near as hard as the Postie's Path and I walked almost all of that.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Practice makes perfect - find off camber stuff and ride it. If you can only find a bit, session it until you've got it off pat. Its worthy thing to master as many many trails are off camber. Throw in hidden rocks and a nice steep ravine to fall into and its easy to bottle it. Use flat pedals as being able to get you feet down quick is a great confidence booster (I once got an off camber trail horribly wrong due to getting stuck in my cleats = smashed forks and a very sore knee). Glen Tilt is good practice as its downhill so you can concentrate on negotiating the camber without worrying about pedalling.

You'll get there eventually and it will become fun. This will boost morale and speed and make long distance stuff a laugh rahter than a chore.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

whitestone wrote: I didn't find the Postie's path hard for the same reason but the track in the upper part of Glen Tilt is the opposite slope nowhere near as hard as the Postie's Path and I walked almost all of that.
The single track on glen tilt after falls of tarf got me. It was day 3 and the bike was fully loaded, but after riding and coming off slow a few times I decided the sensible thing to do, especially as I was solo, was to scoot much of it and not risk injury. If I'd not had a loaded bike and 2 days in my mind and body it'd have been fine. If I'd been with a buddy I'd have probably rode more of it properly due to ego.

Sometimes pushing is the sensible thing to do, falling hurts too much nowadays!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Moder-dye wrote:
whitestone wrote: I didn't find the Postie's path hard for the same reason but the track in the upper part of Glen Tilt is the opposite slope nowhere near as hard as the Postie's Path and I walked almost all of that.
The single track on glen tilt after falls of tarf got me. It was day 3 and the bike was fully loaded, but after riding and coming off slow a few times I decided the sensible thing to do, especially as I was solo, was to scoot much of it and not risk injury. If I'd not had a loaded bike and 2 days in my mind and body it'd have been fine. If I'd been with a buddy I'd have probably rode more of it properly due to ego.

Sometimes pushing is the sensible thing to do, falling hurts too much nowadays!
Hah, thats one of my favourite descents - top tip - look at the trail, not the ravine. Two (three?) burn crossings always defeat me but one is a horrendous slippery of-camber rock out-crop that only Danny Macaskill could clean. Its also one of my fav techy climbs.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oh, I know that Phil :roll: , it's as much as my head wasn't in it and I was feeling very weary - I just headed down Glen Tilt rather than do the final loop of Beinn a Ghlo. I recognise the off-camber bit you mention. There was a group of five riders heading up the way.

After Ian mentioned he'd set up a Strava segment for that Loch I reckoned I was about 3 minutes slower than him, having just got home (been chillin' on Coll and Tiree) I was 3 1/2 mins slower so not a bad guess.
giryan

Post by giryan »

I tried to look at the segment, sadly it was one of the bits my eTrex glitched on so strava won't show me on the segment because it's ~18% off, however I'm definitely in the 35 minute bracket :)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:Oh, I know that Phil :roll: , it's as much as my head wasn't in it and I was feeling very weary - I just headed down Glen Tilt rather than do the final loop of Beinn a Ghlo. I recognise the off-camber bit you mention. There was a group of five riders heading up the way.

After Ian mentioned he'd set up a Strava segment for that Loch I reckoned I was about 3 minutes slower than him, having just got home (been chillin' on Coll and Tiree) I was 3 1/2 mins slower so not a bad guess.
:lol: Its always worth remembering - the number of times I've found myself staring down the drop, whereupon my front wheel suddenly heads in that direction.

Actually if you want a real high risk / off camber trail, head up to Hoy in the Orkneys and do the single track from St. Johns Head to the Old Man. There are several off camber sections with some nice rock step ups thrown in. The high risk? 6 feet to your right is a 1000 foot cliff :shock: