Trans Cambrian Way advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Trans Cambrian Way advice

Post by ChrisF »

I'm thinking of riding the TCW one weekend in October. I've never ridden this area so have a couple of questions.

I'd like to do it over 2 days with a stop at Claerddu bothy which is about half way. What's the easiest route in to the bothy on a bike? Cross country from the nearest point on the road or along the valley?
How tough is the route? My usual riding is the Peak so used to moderate hills and rocky trails. Am hoping to do it on the SS.

Any other advice welcomed!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trans Cambrian Way advice

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's the easiest route in to the bothy on a bike?
Assuming you're riding E to W - keep your eyes open for a faint track on your right at SN 790682 (it's not long after the track you're riding becomes tarmac and there's a bend to the left and a dip in the road). It gets better after 50 yards and will take you straight there ... getting there by any other means is a very miserable experience.

Overall, it can be quite fast going but much will depend on weather conditions. It can be quite claggy especially early on if things are wet and quite different to the Peak District ... but in a good way.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yup...it's tough in the wet coming from the Knighton end. Lots of edge-of-field and grassy climbs that wet weather makes no fun. The first river crossing can be interesting too if it's flowing fast/high (all advice there seems to say take the off-route bridge unless you want to tempt fate like I did).

Greetz

S.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks guys.
One more question.
It looks like Claerddu has a gas cooker. Is this reliable and can I leave my stove at home?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ChrisF wrote:Thanks guys.
One more question.
It looks like Claerddu has a gas cooker. Is this reliable and can I leave my stove at home?
Probably, yes

But if you're taking a mug to have a brew from, a tiny meths stove and a small bits of meths isn't a huge weight penalty. You don't even need the windshield if you're inside

I've been in there twice, and only used water from the gas stove once because someone stuck a huge kettle of water on (and it would have been silly not to use it).
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

ChrisF wrote:Thanks guys.
One more question.
When I was there last May it was working, but I had to hunt around for the gas isolator valve. Eventually found it outside, around at the back of the house.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for the advice. Will probably take the stove just in case.