Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: HIghland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by sean_iow »

So my Maxxis Forekasters might be a bit aggressive then :roll: Perhaps instead of fitting the new ones I've already bought (don't leave maxxis purchasing to the last minute as uk stock can be problematic) I'll just leave the part worn ones on :smile:

On a different note, I'll be using my Etrex 30 for navigation. I've just started using rechargeable batteries, NiMh at 2500mAh. Can anyone who used an eTrex with rechargeables before give some idea of the number of spare batteries to take? I appreciate this is a bit of an open ended question as it depends on how fast you are going as to how long it will be on.

I used it on a trip over Easter and kept a note of the duration it was on and so far I have got 25 hrs 40 mins from the first set, but this was split over 3 days and I think they last longer used this way than if left on continuously or for longer periods at a time?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Neil Beltchenko used XR4s last year which are pretty aggressive and it didn't seem to hold him back too much :lol:

Can you recharge the batteries insitu on the eTrex or do you need an external charger? I use an Oregon and had one set of spare rechargeables but also had a powerbank to recharge the ones in the unit overnight. The Oregon can also run off an external power source, not sure if the eTrex can do that. If you haven't seen it, this page https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/ gives lots of hints and tips about energy savings settings.

A lot of the route is straightforward in that you get on a track and then follow it for several hours, there's no junctions. The track of a thousand puddles from Struy to Orrin reservoir is a good example: turn off the road and climb the hill to a junction; take the left track and then just keep going! Going up Glen Cassley after Oykel Bridge is another - just keep going until the road ends. Consequently you don't need to be constantly checking the GPS and using up battery power by turning on the screen every couple of minutes. There are sections where you do need to be vigilant but they aren't common.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The batteries need to be charged externally for the eTrex. I've got 8 batteries in total at the moment - the Maplin's closing down sale has made this much better value :smile: If I get say 25 hours a set then 4 sets is 100 hrs which if they were on for 20 hrs a day would be a 5 day finish..... :lol: I could always just buy some alkalines at the Tesco in Ullapool if it looks like the ones I have with me won't get me to the end. The eTrex will run off external power but my Zendure power pack won't power it as the eTrex doesn't draw enough current so the power switches off :roll:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I used a 30x but with lithium’s. Had over 30 hours from a pair without any real attempt to use battery saving mode.

Kerry from k-light wrote a good guide to set up and maximise etrex battery life.

The ride time of most finishers is usually 70-85 hours. You can do the maths :wink:
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

thanks for the route and tyre info. :grin: Am going to get some Maxxis Ikons if delivery times allow.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Philippa wrote:What tyres are people using? Not gone tubeless yet myself and am still deliberating what tyre is best.
Go tubeless. I knocked the hell out of my wheels last year (rigid bike with a Rohloff) and tubeless worked almost all the way around until I dented the rear rim properly. I'd have been replacing tubes many times without it.

3" Vee Trax Fatty up front, 2.2" Nobby Nic Snakeskin rear.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think you need more battery life than the "ride time" as that will exclude all the little short stops such as getting water from a stream, toilet breaks, photos, etc. as well as the longer ones like cafe stops. My Strava times last year for an overall time of 5d2hr38 were as follows (total/moving/stops)

Day 1: 13:46 / 12:24 / 1:14
Day 2: 17:06 / 14:07 / 2:59
Day 3: 15:34 / 12:23 / 3:11
Day 4: 18:30 / 14:57 / 3:33
Day 5: 31:41 / 24:55 / 6:46

Not sure about that last one as from memory I only had three short stops (less than twenty mins each) and one longer one. But the "stops" add up to nearly 18hrs within the overall "riding time" which is getting close to my overall bivy time of 26hrs*. You could pause and restart the unit when you visit cafes/shops but given that you are going to be tired, there's a chance you'll forget - on the morning of my third day I turned on the Oregon but forgot to press "go" and actually set it recording! :oops: Fortunately between bivy and when I realised an hour later there was only one possible route you could take so I couldn't have cheated.

So, from one data set, I'd say for a five day finish you need batteries for around 100hrs of usage plus a bit just in case.

* my third "bivy" was actually in the bothy at the OYB and from getting there to leaving was 9 hrs so that one stop was 20% of my total stopped time. Hmm. Despite the bothy being as well appointed as many regular hotel rooms it was probably the worst night's sleep I had during the event.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote:
So, from one data set, I'd say for a five day finish you need batteries for around 100hrs of usage plus a bit just in case.
I'll buy some more batteries :lol:
Javi

Post by Javi »

For the third year in a row I'm going with Maxxis Ikon protection in 2.35 size. Haven't tried others here than Continental, less reliable. Bontrager seem to be popular as well
Sean, I wouldn't trust worn out tyres. For batteries I use lithium ultimate.

Will it be a wet event this year?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good advice, I'll fit my new tires, I'll use them for a couple of weeks beforehand to make sure they're OK. I'll pack some lithium batteries as well, I've got some unused from before I switched to rechargeable.
Javi wrote:
I hope not, but it's due isn't it? All winter I've been out in all weather's hoping that if I did my time in the rain/cold/dark it would somehow earn the good weather in May? I assumed that's how it works :lol:
Last edited by sean_iow on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Javi wrote:
Judging by the current weather it'll be too frozen to be wet.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

whitestone wrote:....I use an Oregon and had one set of spare rechargeables but also had a powerbank to recharge the ones in the unit overnight. The Oregon can also run off an external power source....
Is that the Oregon 700?

Very interesting that the unit will recharge the AA’s

What was the typical lifetime of a set of AA’s? On average.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Asposium wrote:
whitestone wrote:....I use an Oregon and had one set of spare rechargeables but also had a powerbank to recharge the ones in the unit overnight. The Oregon can also run off an external power source....
Is that the Oregon 700?

No, it's the 600. You have to trick the unit into thinking that it has a set of rechargeables in it. If you look inside the battery compartment there's a rubber nipple. The way overpriced Garmin power pack is basically two AA rechargeables strapped together by a bit of tin! I got an empty toothpaste tube, cleaned it and cut a couple of pieces that would sit in the battery compartment over the nipple. When you put two of your own batteries in, they press down on the nipple and trick the unit. I needed two pieces as one wasn't quite strong enough.

I reckon I got 20hrs out of one set of charged batteries. They never got to zero charge though so I don't know how long they'll actually last.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:Most of the route is pretty solid, there's not a lot of soft ground that needs a lot of tread. .
Errrr....2015??
I take it you are feeling very optimistic about the weather then Bob?!
Schwalbe Jumpbo Jims worked for me.

I'll get me coat......
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

whitestone wrote:
Asposium wrote:
Is that the Oregon 700?

No, it's the 600. You have to trick the unit into thinking that it has a set of rechargeables in it. If you look inside the battery compartment there's a rubber nipple. The way overpriced Garmin power pack is basically two AA rechargeables strapped together by a bit of tin! I got an empty toothpaste tube, cleaned it and cut a couple of pieces that would sit in the battery compartment over the nipple. When you put two of your own batteries in, they press down on the nipple and trick the unit. I needed two pieces as one wasn't quite strong enough.

I reckon I got 20hrs out of one set of charged batteries. They never got to zero charge though so I don't know how long they'll actually last.
Sounds like an ideal 3d printer project for me ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:
whitestone wrote:Most of the route is pretty solid, there's not a lot of soft ground that needs a lot of tread. .
Errrr....2015??
I take it you are feeling very optimistic about the weather then Bob?!
Schwalbe Jumpbo Jims worked for me.

I'll get me coat......
I've done bits in very wet conditions (not the Bealach Horn section :wink: ) and I reckon the softest conditions are post snow melt when the top few cm have been loosened by frost. Hopefully everything at the lower levels will be clear long before the end of May. There was a lot of snow up there last weekend though.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

A rainy one is overdue to be fair.

This year would be fine by me. As I’m not riding :-bd

Sorry to those who are ...
robbie

Post by robbie »

Ok not long till this, so couple of questions. Parking/sleeping I wiil be staying the Friday night before in my van and leaving it for the duration. Where is best (free) to leave it?
Also need to sort a spot tracker. anyone got one they want to loan/rent out for it?
Cheers
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

robbie wrote:Ok not long till this, so couple of questions. Parking/sleeping I wiil be staying the Friday night before in my van and leaving it for the duration. Where is best (free) to leave it?
Also need to sort a spot tracker. anyone got one they want to loan/rent out for it?
Cheers
The car park at the visitor centre is fine, but park towards the Green Welly end so you're out of the way of the 'Real' Food Cafe.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Parking/sleeping I wiil be staying the Friday night before in my van and leaving it for the duration. Where is best (free) to leave it?
If you pay to stay at the By the Way campsite the night before http://www.tyndrumbytheway.com/ and you ask nicely, they'll let you park up round the back.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Can I ask the veterans about money for the cafes/shops. Do they take cards or is cash king in the highlands? I've been saving up my waterproof £5 and £10s ready but no idea how much to take, which obviously depends on how long it takes me to get round and how much I eat :smile: I assume there are cash machines in Fort A, Ullapool and Fort William?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote:Can I ask the veterans about money for the cafes/shops. Do they take cards or is cash king in the highlands? I've been saving up my waterproof £5 and £10s ready but no idea how much to take, which obviously depends on how long it takes me to get round and how much I eat :smile: I assume there are cash machines in Fort A, Ullapool and Fort William?
As you might expect it's a mixture. From memory debit cards are accepted at: FA pizza place; Contin stores; OYB; Kylesku Hotel; Drumbeg stores (I think); Lochinver Spar and the Pie shop; most/all of the shops and cafes in Ullapool; Kinlochewe Hotel and Whistle Stop cafe; Inverinate petrol station; Tomich hotel (minimum £10); petrol stations in FW; Co-op in Kinlochleven.

As with the Tomich hotel, some places might have a minimum spend.

I don't know if the village store at Dornie takes cards.

I took quite a bit of cash with me, I think £200, on the basis that if something went wrong and I needed a taxi to get me to a train station or whatever then it wasn't going to be cheap! (just because of the distances/time)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Richpips wrote:
Parking/sleeping I wiil be staying the Friday night before in my van and leaving it for the duration. Where is best (free) to leave it?
If you pay to stay at the By the Way campsite the night before http://www.tyndrumbytheway.com/ and you ask nicely, they'll let you park up round the back.
They do charge a little for this now.

I'm fairly sure the Dornie Stores have a card machine too.

I'm getting excited about dot-watching this now. The pointy end is wide open and will be fierce!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote:I took quite a bit of cash with me, I think £200)
£200 :o Does anyone want to buy a kidney, can post or meet up at Tyndrum on 26 May :lol: As you say, a taxi back to the start/train station would cost a fair bit.

I once met some lads at Wasdale who had descended into the wrong valley, they asked at the pub how much a taxi was likely be to the side they wanted to be on, needless to say they finished their drinks and started walking back.
AlasdairMc

Re: Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’d always take cash for these things, as it can be quite variable in the Highlands and I’d rather not risk it. Everywhere takes cash though.

Worst case you’ve got loads of plastic money to spend on your return, but as it’s already out of your account you feel like you’ve spent it anyway!