Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by ianfitz »

sean_iow wrote:I'd hope trackleaders would of just changed the colour to the touring colour after the 8 days?

Well done Tom, under 8 days as you said to me at the start.

And well done to everyone, I found the heat oppressive, and I'm a southerner so it must of been hot :grin:

I'll do a better wtite up when I get some feeling in my fingers to make typing easier :lol: hopefully the feeling will return eventually?

Trackleaders has been misbehaving over the last couple of days. Finishers marked as scratched, active riders disappeared etc.

Generally though trackleaders doesn’t do anything automatically. The people with the weblink login to the ht550 page do the marking people as scratched etc.

Usually Greg (hence his avatar) but we shared that and the @ht_550 Twitter this year.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

There is almost certainly no problem with Trackleaders. The issue has been user error our end, apologies for that.
Michelle is now back on the map and heading down Glen Affric. She will be allowed to finished her ride, there is no 8 day cut off for group start riders.
When she's done I will be calling for everyone's times and proof of completetion (link to Strava or gpx files).
Go Michelle!
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Tenacious Michelle and Philippa still out there giving it some - impressive staying power... Back at home but still in HT550 land enjoying watching their dots
Johnny B
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Apparently, myself and Ian have big thumbs and trackleaders back end. doesn't like phones.

All is well.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Great to see Michelle approaching the Kingshouse. She should be back in Tyndrum tonight. :-bd :-bd :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Michelle finished at 12.05am :-bd . Phillipa Crocker seems to have gone off route
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:Michelle finished at 12.05am :-bd . Phillipa Crocker seems to have gone off route
Seems to be in gairlochy holiday park.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote:Michelle finished at 12.05am :-bd . Phillipa Crocker seems to have gone off route
Pleased to see that Michelle has finished and that Phillipa is sticking at it. It must be harder when you are on your own for so long.

I didn't see anyone for long stretches, especially on the last 2 days, but it always lifted my spirits to roll into a town and see a bike outside a cafe/pub. Just a quick catch-up and to find out that others were also going through the same struggle helped to recharged me mentally to then to get back on the bike and crack on with it again.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Sean thanks for lifting Mum's spirits she showed me the card last night
Dave
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

No problem Dave, pleased it arrived. I had intended to send one from out on the race which showed how much I underestimated how tough it would be :roll:

In the end it had to wait until I'd finished, although having no feeling in my hands made writing tricky so hopefully it was legible.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Well done everyone who finished and also those who didn't. I think getting into the group start is an achievement in itself and the boners have provided an entertaining list of different ways to scratch at least!

Personally, all I wanted was to get round in under 8 days and I had no idea if my knees would hold out that long, so I was pretty chuffed to go round in 5 and a halfish! As has been said, one of the best things was meeting people I had only previously read posts from on the internet, all of whom were a good laugh. It was pretty hard to tear myself away from the Real Food Cafe the next morning and return to real life - not sure what to do with myself now that I don't have the HT550 looming...

Mart

Post by Mart »

OK so now its my turn to try - Im setting off on Saturday 9th June with my friend Jez
I'm very apprehensive, I've wanted to give this a go for a few years but never had the bottle/courage to attempt it
Paranoid that something is going to break..... either me or the bike, but If I don't try I will never know

This years different, some background for those that don't know

There was a girl called Holly, my daughter, that would try and try to achieve her dreams.
Holly displayed incredible talent as a ballet dancer, but talent only takes you so far, you have to work hard too
Holly would dream of dancing on a big stage and went to several auditions where she was knocked back
This didn't put her off, in fact it only made her more resolute. She practiced harder, refocused, came back stronger
In one instance she only got selected after the third attempt, but she did achieve
Holly realised one of her biggest dreams, dancing with the Royal Ballet at the beginning of 2017

Last summer Holly died in a road accident whilst on a school trip, and I'm struggling to write these words
However
She has left me with an strong ethic and mindset
- Dream big and work towards it
- If you don't start how can you finish?
- Try your best no matter what and if your not successful come back and try again

With this in mind, I'm lining up on Saturday at the Tyndrum Village Hall with Jez, and we shall see where the week leads us.
If I can get the technology to work I might be on the trackleaders page. The thought of this terrifies me but hoping it gives me extra strength knowing people are watching
Messages offering encouragement or taking the piss equally welcome :-bd

This will be by far the longest time on a bike and distance I've ever attempted, by a significant margin. We might get round, we might not but we will try
We will #BeMoreHolly*

*shamelessly pinched from #BeMoreMike
2924 miles per Gallon
techno

Post by techno »

Best of luck for your attempt Mart!
Enjoy your riding, think often of Holly & "eat, sleep, ride, repeat"
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Have an amazing ride! You are heading for a great achievement whatever happens
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'll be fine Mart, I'm sure of it. Get into a steady pace and don't forget to look up from time to time and wonder at the sights around you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

All the best Mart...

Life is sad and it takes a lot to keep going when this happens, but there is always only one way:
Ever onwards

“Who knows where the wind will blow us”

All the best, it’s a grand trip, but be prepared for those midges... :mrgreen:
Howard

Post by Howard »

Go for it Mart. Ride safe and be in every moment. Even if you don't get the dot working on trackleaders, you can always post the link to your own spot page. People on here know the route pretty well!
postierich

Post by postierich »

Have a good one Mart you have the inner strength by the sounds of it its not all about fitness. Enjoy the views and the pubs wishing you all the best!

Rich
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I think it’s probably accurate to say that after what I can only image you’ll already have been through Mart a bit of bike riding won’t cause you too many difficulties.

Sure there’ll be physical discomfort, pain even. Doubts, excuses to quit. If you push hard enough maybe rapid swings in mood from election to despair and back again in the blink of an eye or the turn of a pedal.

But it’s an incredibly beautiful route and each tough section brings to something worthwhile. A view, a descent, another classic section of singletrack.

It’s a hell of a challenge. For anyone. At anytime. I hope it’s everything you want and need it to be.

I’ll be watching your dot and cheering you on.

Edit to add: I was just in touch with a Scott at trackleaders. Your dot will be at - http://trackleaders.com/highland18
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Go Mart! Will be living your ride vicariously through your dot and thinking of Holly
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Just keep trucking Mart, you'll get there.

Sounds like riding the route will be one of the easier things you've dealt with.

Update to Trackleaders and Twitter in place for you.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Best of luck to the both of you.

As Stu says, take in the views. The route visits some special places.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

When it gets hard, remember, all you need to do is keep moving your feet!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

What an awful thing to happen Mart, I am so sorry. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be to pick yourself up and face the world again. Riding the HT550 in her memory sounds like a wonderful tribute. I will be thinking of you.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Enjoy the ride Mart - will be thinking of you and yours. Time to immerse yourself in the memories of Holly and the landscape will be good I hope.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/