Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by whitestone »

Last year I used Bontrager XR2 2.35 on the front, XR1 2.2 on the back. This year it will be XR3 2.4 on the front, XR2 2.2 on the back. The XR2 is equivalent to the Ikons, the XR1 has a little less tread, the XR3 a little more.

Generally something that's decent rolling but with a bit of grip. Strong sidewalls preferred.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mart

Post by Mart »

thanks that’s very useful to know
2924 miles per Gallon
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ianfitz wrote:
sean_iow wrote:All I've had to fit is tires, brake discs, pads, bb,rear wheel and freehub bearings, pedals, chainring, chain and cog. I've also had to buy the wife a new car as a 1000 mile round trip in the old one or my land rover didn't seem sensible. After that lot the SPOT subscription seems quite small on the expenditure list for the event :lol:

I also managed to fit one of the tires on the wrong way round to start with as well so got to fit it twice. Maybe Peter has both his tires on backwards - hence his route choice :lol:
most expensive free event going!
TDR is a lot more :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good luck all riders.

Remember, if you scratch, to send me a message, it makes things a bit easier.

Please don't expect a prompt reply, please don't call, I'll be on holiday and my phone will be in the bottom of my bag switched off.

I'll get back to you eventually.

Ride well.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

GregMay wrote:I'll be on holiday and my phone will be in the bottom of my bag switched off.

That's a man with his priorities properly sorted :-bd

If the forecast is anything like correct https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2635199 then we'll be very lucky.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote:
GregMay wrote:I'll be on holiday and my phone will be in the bottom of my bag switched off.

That's a man with his priorities properly sorted :-bd

If the forecast is anything like correct https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2635199 then we'll be very lucky.
Always, my out of office states "I am away on holidays until the 5th of June. I won't look at email. I won't answer my phone. If you need me, I'll speak to you when I return."

I don't do always connected.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Been seeing some pictures of folks setups. Big variety.

Anyone seen Fraser’s? (Touch on here)

He’s packing light :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've seen Rich and Tom's setups over on STW along with Stu Taylor's https://singletrackworld.com/2018/05/st ... y-get-set/. This is pretty much mine:

Just missing the SPOT, a water bottle and probably an inner tube. Packing light? Come on Ian, I'm not exactly slim and that all takes some feeding!
touch

Post by touch »

ianfitz wrote:Been seeing some pictures of folks setups. Big variety.

Anyone seen Fraser’s? (Touch on here)

He’s packing light :shock:
I do have a backpack which wasn't pictured. Also still got another bottle and a couple of tubes to strap to the frame.
Still as light as I can be though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Phew! Looking at that shot I was getting worried :shock:

Just be as light as you need to be I suppose.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looking at the weather forecast I guess you can afford to take some liberties with gear, just remember the sun cream!
If I could get the time off I'd be tempted to gatecrash the group start, however I can't so I'll look forward to doing it next year in the rain....
Good luck all :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote:Looking at the weather forecast I guess you can afford to take some liberties with gear, just remember the sun cream!
If I could get the time off I'd be tempted to gatecrash the group start, however I can't so I'll look forward to doing it next year in the rain....
Good luck all :-bd
Actually I'm taking virtually the same kit as I did last year, it's just distributed about the bike a bit differently. I'm not taking (unless the forecast changes dramatically) the heavy duty waterproof I used last year, no spare cycling shorts and probably no spare shirt - I'll just have to smell :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I went for a jolly yesterday on the start of the trail. It's rocky in places I'm running 2.4 ardent front 2.35 ikon rear kinda wish I'd left the plus tyre up front, and my new rim on rear has now got a huge dent in it from hitting a rock to hard doh! Lucky though it hasn't effected the seal
postierich

Post by postierich »

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW there is currently some resurfacing work on the KLL side of the Devil's Staircase.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

whitestone wrote:Last year I used Bontrager XR2 2.35 on the front, XR1 2.2 on the back. This year it will be XR3 2.4 on the front, XR2 2.2 on the back. The XR2 is equivalent to the Ikons, the XR1 has a little less tread, the XR3 a little more.

Generally something that's decent rolling but with a bit of grip. Strong sidewalls preferred.
vittoria mezcal 2.35,with graphene
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Great to see my old bike ready for another ht550 Bob! Hope you're enjoying it!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianpv wrote:Great to see my old bike ready for another ht550 Bob! Hope you're enjoying it!
There's a lot of the bike that's been around the HT already - the frame and the wheels for starters! It built up surprisingly light, 12.1kg which I really wasn't expecting. I got a new frame bag as I wanted one that had room for a water bottle and I've had to replace the bottom bracket. I pulled the Jones bars and stem off the fat bike, and the wheels off the Solaris, the rest is a mixture of CRC orders and bargain basement parts.

FS takes a bit of getting used to again - I'm not used to heading downhill that fast :shock:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mike wrote: Lucky though it hasn't effected the seal
......... yet :wink:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Saw this on STW
Isla Rowntree just posted this on Twitter:

3 of my colleagues have just had their bikes stolen from Charnock Richard services on the M6. They were on the way to ride the HT500. The two bikes pictured are unique Islabikes If you see them please get in touch.

Gutted for them. Good luck to everyone :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

wriggles wrote:Saw this on STW
Isla Rowntree just posted this on Twitter:

3 of my colleagues have just had their bikes stolen from Charnock Richard services on the M6. They were on the way to ride the HT500. The two bikes pictured are unique Islabikes If you see them please get in touch.

Gutted for them. Good luck to everyone :-bd
Oh ffs!

Cheers to all in Tyndrum. Kind of wish I was there with the big ride awaiting tomorrow morning. Kind of. Good speed (no not god) to all.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Isla has also just tweeted that Shand are going to lend them bikes.

Gutting to lose those though. Going to be a tricky to sell on as they’ll be custom made staff bikes. Hopefully that will lead to the scumbags getting caught.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Steven Shand posted on STW
shandcycles

The boys have just picked up 3 bikes from us so they can carry on their trip. 2 of the bikes that were stolen were custom frames built by the guys at IslaBikes. They were a bit shell-shocked but in surprisingly good spirits.

They lost a lot of the kit that was on the bikes too, we had some bikepacking bags for them but they could do with some more stuff. If anyone has spare bags they could offer as a loan, they are in Edinburgh tonight/tomorrow and could pick up.

I’m can facilitate the return of stuff when they get back.

Steven
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

If anyone has a way to get in touch with the Islabikes guys, I’ve got kit they can borrow.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

AlasdairMc wrote:If anyone has a way to get in touch with the Islabikes guys, I’ve got kit they can borrow.
Alasdair, I got your message and have passed it on to Ben. Although it sounds like they have got most stuff sorted now.