Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:I've done few bits of the route in the other direction and some of it is definitely better that way but.... Ben Alder?, Achfary to the Bealach Horn? Eek!
I reckon The Ben alder trail would be ok the other way. Not as good, but ok.

Up to the horn would be a big waste of a good descent though.

And yes, getting out of Fort Augustus would be sweary I reckon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've done the Corrieyairack t'other way. Its long and draggy and you lose too much altitude too quickly on the zig-zags. Kintail-Affric probably works better in reverse though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The northern loop backwards would be interesting but fisherfield would be not nearly as nice as most the glen muice beag descent would be a walk.... Suilven path I think would be better east to west??

Ben Alder single track north to south is a hoot, not as good as south to north but still good :mrgreen: Its a steadier climb with only a wee push at the top and the blast down to the cottage is hugely entertaining.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Peter is on the move again and has just started the central loop backwards, it must be intentional? Perhaps he going for the first HT550 Yo-Yo?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
touch

Post by touch »

sean_iow wrote:Peter is on the move again and has just started the central loop backwards, it must be intentional? Perhaps he going for the first HT550 Yo-Yo?
Perhaps wants to see some of the riders in the group start? If he's not sure that he can make it back to Tyndrum by saturday morning, doing it in reverse means he'll pass everyone on route somewhere.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I did think he might have done the first bit in reverse then the top two loops as per "normal" before finishing with the remainder of the southern loop.

There was someone in Tyndrum last year asking about why it wasn't done the opposite way round but I think it was one of the Americans and he was referring to the CTR which alters direction each year.

On balance I'd rather the push/carry up Glen Licht and get the long blast down Glen Affric than the other way. Glen Ling and the Torridon section would certainly be better anti-clockwise - pushing up the Coire Lair track won't be pleasant. The Postman's path is probably just as nice* in either direction. Fisherfield would just feel wrong, especially having done it the other way. The Ledmore-Suilven "path" will be just as frustrating :wink: The Bealach Horn section - Phil, I remember you saying about your conversation with the lad who was filming last year when you met him pushing up from Lone. The old stalker's path from the burn crossing to Lochan Sgeireich (sp?) would be horrid in reverse as it's generally uphill.

* Other opinions are available :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hello!
Has anyone got a spare Toro or similar bar light I can borrow? Forgot mine at home and have no chance to recover it until maybe mid June (it's a long story, homeless until Sept)
Or a piggyback battery for the Equinox I'll be using?

Edit to add it's all sorted :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Glad to see you are sorted Javi.

Fitted new tyres to the bike today, had to do the front one twice as I mounted it in the wrong direction first time :oops: :roll: A couple of short rides to get the sealant working and I'm all good to go. The bike's also got a new bottom bracket, the previous press-fit to HTII converter was fubarred, the threads on the bearing cup had stripped those in the converter :shock: Glad that happened last weekend and not next.
Mike

Post by Mike »

All new gearing for me too. And a freehub body this race has cost me a small fortune :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

All I've had to fit is tires, brake discs, pads, bb,rear wheel and freehub bearings, pedals, chainring, chain and cog. I've also had to buy the wife a new car as a 1000 mile round trip in the old one or my land rover didn't seem sensible. After that lot the SPOT subscription seems quite small on the expenditure list for the event :lol:

I also managed to fit one of the tires on the wrong way round to start with as well so got to fit it twice. Maybe Peter has both his tires on backwards - hence his route choice :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

sean_iow wrote:All I've had to fit is tires, brake discs, pads, bb,rear wheel and freehub bearings, pedals, chainring, chain and cog. I've also had to buy the wife a new car as a 1000 mile round trip in the old one or my land rover didn't seem sensible. After that lot the SPOT subscription seems quite small on the expenditure list for the event :lol:

I also managed to fit one of the tires on the wrong way round to start with as well so got to fit it twice. Maybe Peter has both his tires on backwards - hence his route choice :lol:
most expensive free event going!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey don't fit new chain and sprockets, they'll be totally shagged by the end if its wet :grin:
Oh and mind yer spare brake pads everybody!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just seen the Countryfile weather forecast for this week and early next - you lucky people! :cool:
postierich

Post by postierich »

Thought my prep was going really well no spot tracker due to the one I was borrowing is faulty anyone got a spare one going will pay obviously
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I will send mine back to you as soon as it arrives :-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
postierich

Post by postierich »

Many thanks Dave there is some money in the Box with the spot!!!!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Rich, You'll have to link the new device to the address of the tracking page you registered with Trackleaders or get TL to update their details otherwise you won't appear on Trackleaders. I've not found a way to edit the details on TL once you've clicked Submit.

Edit: You have got the right type of battery fitted haven't you? I've a Gen 2 and it will only work with Lithium batteries. Took me a while the other week to figure out why it wasn't working with NiMH :roll:
landel

Post by landel »

When you registered for Trackleaders they would have sent you an email 'Highland Trail Race 2018 Tracking Registration - confirmation'. There is an Edit Submission link on it and you should be able to change your details by clicking it. It might be a good idea to email them directly too to be sure, info@trackleaders.com . When you get the new SPOT working you can ping it and then click your name on the trackleaders page. Check the 'Last Update Rec'd' to make sure it's working ok.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Checked back through my emails and the edit link is there.

Is Peter still going? His SPOT has been at Loch Clair in Torridon for nearly two days with no update.
landel

Post by landel »

whitestone wrote:Checked back through my emails and the edit link is there.

Is Peter still going? His SPOT has been at Loch Clair in Torridon for nearly two days with no update.
I had the opportunity to change from ITT to Group Start so that's how I know :-bd

I was hoping Peter would pop up along the route but no sign. Still showing as active on Trackleaders but mightn't have had the chance to change his status yet.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Last week I pulled the (hair) trigger on some more gear - new waterproofs, including a very light Patagonia storm racer jacket, then this is happens: https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forec ... ge/monthly :roll: As Ian says probably the most expensive free event ever! :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I see another ITT started this morning, looks like they may be on a tandem? They are listed as Stefan Anne Duo.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I see another ITT started this morning, looks like they may be on a tandem? They are listed as Stefan Anne Duo.
Stefan Maertens and Ann De Smet.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Anne and Stefan are on normal bikes not a tandem.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I’m thinking of new tyres for going round in a few weeks
Probably over thinking it to be honest

Option 1 Stay with what i’ve got
Nobby Nic 2.25 Front, Crossmark2 2.25 back

Option 2 Ikons 2.35 front, 2.2 back

Option3 Ardent Race 2.35 front, 2.2 back

Option 4 Vittoria Mezcals 2.35 front 2.25 back

Option 5 one of 2-4 above with 2.25 front and back

Help!