650b+ worth it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: 650b+ worth it?

Post by Chew »

techno mail wrote:is the extra width of a 40-50 mm rim worth the weight penalty?
It's more of a case of why bother if you don't go that wide?

Tyres are going to be 800-1000g each so trying to save a bit of weight on rims that won't make the most of the tyres is a bit of a false economy. If you are going plus, just embrace having heavy wheels. There are advantages in certain situations.

If you want to get somewhere in a hurry and want light wheels, stick with 29ers
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
is the extra width of a 40-50 mm rim worth the weight penalty?
Turn that on its head and ask yourself ... is a 2.8" or 3" tyre worth the weight penalty on a 30mm rim?
honestly, i dunno!
would have to ride em side by side i suppose.
i like the comfort of the 2.8 tyres i have fitted. they grip well on dry and gravel'y terrain should try some tubeless 2.25" and see if i miss the extra girth (f'nar)
Chew

Post by Chew »

While things are sat around and it's raining....

:geek: Weights

Plus
Rumpus wheels (cheap), with WTB tyres, tubeless, rotors & skewers
2700g F, 3200g R

29er
Hope & Crest wheels (not cheap), with Maxxis tyres (2.2), tubeless, rotors & skewers
2200g F, 2400g R
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you're going to have a 30mm rim, then why not fit a 2.4" and save around 400g over the plus tyre ... volume will be surprisingly similar.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:If you're going to have a 30mm rim, then why not fit a 2.4" and save around 400g over the plus tyre ... volume will be surprisingly similar.
Aye, looks like skinnier tires on the rims I've got and a 2nd set of full on + wheels and tyres would be the ideal option.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:If you're going to have a 30mm rim, then why not fit a 2.4" and save around 400g over the plus tyre ... volume will be surprisingly similar.
What Stuart is saying about B+ and rim size is spot on ime. Under 35mm rim and I'm not sure there's any point / gain with B+ unless it's on a FS bike. B+ is for lower pressures and rolling easy over chunky ground, where weight makes less difference and dropping rolling resistance is a real gain. Think momentum maintenance gains over acceleration gains and if that's what you want, go B+ and don't be a weight weenie. Loaded bikes rarely get accelerated that fast anyway.

I've ridden 29" 30mm rims and 2.4 Ardents back to back with B+ 45mm rims and 2.8 rear, 3.0 front tyres and the pros/cons seem to balance out at that point, go 3.0 F+R or smaller on the 29er wheel dims and the ability to roll fast over choppy ground (esp when loaded) is in favour of the B+. Overall for all conditions I use/prefer the 29" wheels and but there's certainly times when I know I'd be better off on B+, it's only my personal pref for the feel of the bike on big 29" wheels that keeps me on that set up.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

So, all the bits arrived. Opted for a new cassette too so wheel swapping would be faster.
Went out for a ride tonight and now the Stooge is an absolute hooligan!
It's draggy and slow uphill, as you'd expect coming from hope xc wheels but it is so fast and planted downhill it's ridiculous.
Was faster on this than the 150mm travel full suspension bike I had.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Nice :-bd