650b+ worth it?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

650b+ worth it?

Post by Dan_K »

Now the hype has died down a bit, do people think this it works?
I've read Stu's blog. Am contemplating picking up a set of Alpkit rumpus wheels and some WTB plus tyres for my Stooge. I've currently got hope xc 29er wheels with 2.3 ish tyres on.
Worth the change?
ScotRoutes

Re: 650b+ worth it?

Post by ScotRoutes »

For some rides it's by far the best choice/compromise. The fact that you can swap the wheels with 29ers and avoud a whole different bike makes it an easier decision to invest in the option.

Of course you then have the rigid/suspension decision too...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think so (but you know that). The ride is quite different between B+ and 29" and surprisingly different to 29+ too. I sill maintain that without proper wide rims, then the whole point is largely missed ... which brings me onto. Expect to replace the bearings in the Rumpus hubs sooner rather than later and keep an eye on the freehub coming loose, otherwise, no problems.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I was running 29+ and as much as I loved how they rolled like a steam roller on the flat and undulating terrain the penalty up hill was a serious issue (for me)
Now swapped to 650b+ for messing around on and back to normal 29 for longer distance stuff.
650b+ is a great compomise, still very comfortable, loads of grip just a little draggy on the road sections due to lower pressures.
I picked up some second hand American Classic Smokin Guns, they're lush.

Edit: rigid forks on both.
Last edited by rufus748 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Personally, I like B+ (I've two of the buggers). But on the main one (Cotic SolarisMAX) I've also just got a set of 29ers (as per ScotRoutes above). Wouldn't have fancied the B+ for the Hebridean Way (that I've just finished, all on the road) with B+ as it was hard enough on 2.25 29ers.... :oops:

I will also be getting a set of rigid forks sometime for tamer B+ 'adventures'...
Give the dirt a little room.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

As usual, it depends.

I think the best all-round solution is normal 29er tyres on a suspensions fork, but those forks require a fair bit of regular maintenance to keep them working well, apart from the Lauf, which offers a good, light solution for less technical trails. So I tried B+ (2.8/2.6, tubeless combo) with rigid forks as a less needy solution for longer expeds where a fork failure would be a real PITA. It works OK; a bit draggy on the smooth, probably a bit more inertia to spin-up, unless you use light tyres which are possibly a bit more vulnerable to punctures. Still discovering their strengths and weaknesses, but from what I have learnt I have no desire to ride a full fat tyre unless it was for snow riding, or a similar very specific environment.
Wulfrunian

Post by Wulfrunian »

In case you're unaware, big saving on Rumpus 650b+ wheelset at the moment. Sale ends today I think.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mu ... 2-wheelset
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

i Love my Norco torrent B+ Dan, im also in the process of testing a Stooge Mk3 with 27B+ wheels and am really starting to Love that too, best thing is to ride a few and make your mind up afterwards, everyone is different and setup is very important :-bd
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks all. I've taken the plunge and ordered a rumpus wheelset and a couple of 3" trail boss tyres. With rotors and valves, the whole lot has cost around £220 so worth a punt.
I'll let you know how it goes. If I hate it, I know who to blame :lol:
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

you might need something a bit more aggressive on the front than a trail boss Dan, it is winter after all :wink: :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I'd suggest that if you're needing something more aggressive than a Trail Boss, it must mean mud, in which case stick to 29er.
B+ is for rocky stuff I reckon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, things would need to be pretty grim to require much more than a Trail Boss.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

B+ is for rocky stuff I reckon.
My experience of B+ is they puncture at the first sniff of rocks. I’ve gone back to 29.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Rocks in the Lakes must be blunt then. What were you using - same tyres in B+ and 29"?
Chew

Post by Chew »

Like most things theres a trade off.
I have them on my Stooge and they are great, turns it into a right hooligan over 29er wheels. Rolls over everything and loads more grip climbing.
Downsides are the weight and rolling resistance.
If you're going for a bimble great, if you want to get anywhere quick stick with the 29ers.

The Rumpus wheels are great for the price(keep this in mind when you need new bearings), although mine were a PITA to setup tubless with it leaking through the weld. It eventually sealed though. Tyre pressures can take a bit of working out, but basically but about 20psi in to start and keep letting air out until they start to fold over. Then put a few psi back in.

I do tend to find with a wider tyre, you either have loads of grip or non. Nothing really inbetween, but it keeps you on your toes.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Yes, things would need to be pretty grim to require much more than a Trail Boss.

Depends how Aggressive you are tho :wink: Lol
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still no punctures with B+, on any surface.

That Trail Boss looks like it would clog up. I prefer the wider spaced knobs on something like a Nobby Nic for our local mud :-)

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Give over - you sound like the front cover of MBUK.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

boxelder wrote:Rocks in the Lakes must be blunt then. What were you using - same tyres in B+ and 29"?
I wanted to like 650B+

maybe Nobby Nics weren't the best choice. they appeared to have made the sidewalls from paper to keep the weight down but they were 1/3 of the price of maxxis alternatives. when I sold them I had seven tubeless repairs in the rear.

the alpkit rumpus wheels were heavy and not particularly strong. there only plus point is that they were cheap. eat that gary fisher. The flex in them was the final nail in the coffin, I had a decent clearance in the workstand (~10mm each side on the rear, 5-8mm on the front) but even moderate cornering would see them flexing and rubbing.
techno

Post by techno »

ScotRoutes wrote:I prefer the wider spaced knobs on something like a Nobby Nic for our local mud :-)
do you run these front and rear? i'm on the lookout for a set of tyres for the claggy season.
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Give over - you sound like the front cover of MBUK.

Lmao :lol: :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

techno mail wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:I prefer the wider spaced knobs on something like a Nobby Nic for our local mud :-)
do you run these front and rear? i'm on the lookout for a set of tyres for the claggy season.
Yeah.

I had one on the front with a Fatbnimble on the rear, which sort of worked if you could accept the rear just following on behind in some random fashion. NN has brought it back under control.

On 45mm Scrapers FWIW. I do wonder how much rim width is affecting folks perceptions of B+.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On 45mm Scrapers FWIW. I do wonder how much rim width is affecting folks perceptions of B+.
I think it makes a massive difference given how much it can effect the tyre, profile, etc.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I think it makes a massive difference given how much it can effect the tyre, profile, etc.
the rims i am running currently are somewhat skinny (22mm internal i think) due to bad advice from LBS when speccing up bike, so i am looking at replacing them with something wider when i can.
Do you think i'd see a real benefit from running say a 30mm rim, these are 180g lighter than an i45: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Halo-Vapour-35 ... 102352.htm
is the extra width of a 40-50 mm rim worth the weight penalty?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is the extra width of a 40-50 mm rim worth the weight penalty?
Turn that on its head and ask yourself ... is a 2.8" or 3" tyre worth the weight penalty on a 30mm rim?