Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Wotsits

Re: Att' BB200 Riders.

Post by Wotsits »

Dave Barter wrote:"Dave where are you?"

Bet you don't want to revisit "that" push
"Stuart, you know where I feckin am!...." :lol: :lol:

Quality!

Fond memories of the 2014 ride, but not convinced i'd want to go through that again!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

ScotRoutes wrote:
burty wrote:I think the weather last year was fantastic , I rode in just my bb top until about 9pm.
if it was wanging it down you would have been a tosser long before the final section :-bd
That I reckon. There was enough interest/excitement. The food stop at Knighton was handily placed and the wee all-night cafe was the icing on the cake. Of course, it depends what folk are in it for. I was over the moon at being in and around other riders, chatting at stops etc. I guess a tougher route would mean less of that aspect. Maybe it comes down to a similar choice as Rays Winter ITT - does it always have to be such a huuuuge challenge or can it actually just be enjoyable on the day?
This sums it up for me. Some folk are machines, and I take my hat off to them, that kind of effort doesn't come easy. BUT 200k is a hard ride by any standard. I suppose we (me) needs to remember it is an ITT but it's also a BearBones one and that to me puts a more adventure ride spin on it. It depends really on how Stuart wants the BB200 to be thought of. I'll still have a go but did enjoy the more rideable nature of last year. Nobody like to cry themselves to sleep in a bivi bag :wink:
The noise goes quiet when I'm on my bike :)
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

The weather plays such a big part. It was actually pretty good in both 2014 and last year (the two times I've done it). Rain, wind and colder temps would have made last year's route pretty challenging and 2014's utterly miserable.

The thing that sticks in my mind from last year was how great the community cafe stop was. Whatever horrors you bestow on us Stu, please can you sort out something similar. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please, no panic, I certainly have no intenton of producing another 2014 ... I really don't want Dave swearing at me again and I prefer it if people talk to me when they get back.
May the bridges you burn light your way
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Please, no panic, I certainly have no intenton of producing another 2014 ... I really don't want Dave swearing at me again and I prefer it if people talk to me when they get back.
:-bd
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

Its seems funny to me that so many people have fond memories of 2014. Maybe time is a healer after all! :lol: Last year the lack of headwinds, great weather, perfect foodstops, and good company all combined to make for an easier ride. It only takes one of those to be off to send most of us back into depths of hell. Also, I haven't done nearly enough riding this year so I'm selfishly hoping for more of the same. :wink: Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll do us proud, Stu. :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I did last years route a week later in worse weather and no extra cafe in the perfect stopping place. I did not find it easy and it's the slowest I've ever completed a BB200 (and I have 3 black badges).
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

:shock: :shock A week later!? :
Zippy wrote:I did last years route a week later in worse weather and no extra cafe in the perfect stopping place. I did not find it easy and it's the slowest I've ever completed a BB200 (and I have 3 black badges).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

A week later than the main event.
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Zippy wrote:A week later than the main event.
Sorry Zippy I read it as had done it again! :roll: :grin:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Perhaps it will be epic. :wink:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:was last year's route too easy?
As Zippy said take away the perfect weather that weekend and the perfectly timed cafe stop things would have been about right.
Add into the mix that if last 15k hike-a-bike had have been at the start/middle, it would have taken its toll rather than people emptying themselves knowing it was nearly over.

Same again please :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yup, last year's route was great.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I like expecting the unexpected. I enjoyed (even at the time) the challenge of 2014 and squeezing 'in to black' with ten minutes to spare. I also enjoyed the rapid nature of 2016 and being back in 15 hours. Different rides, different experiences. All good.

I'm quite happy to let Stuart come up with what ever he comes up with.

Edit to say that I enjoyed the pub before the winter event but think will be staying elsewhere before the BB this year.
gairym

Post by gairym »

ianfitz wrote:I'm quite happy to let Stuart come up with what ever he comes up with.
Totally agree!

I'll not be attending this year due to new baby commitments, I didn't manage last year due to injury and retired gracefully in 2014 with a bleeding arse but.....I managed to complete the 2015 route (and enjoyed several of the minutes in 2014).

I love the fact that it's a mental event that inspires fear and awe in the hearts of mere mortals and long may it continue to do so!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Flip a coin Stu, let chance decide :cool:

I will not be there :grin:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

slarge wrote:You might want to drive to the start - it's 6 or 7 miles or a nightmare trudge if last years bb is anything to go by.

If you are going to the Star that is (which is where a bunch met up last year)
My mistake from working on the basis that they both have Llanbrynmair in the address. :roll:

Pretty sure I'll be in the pub (car park) on Friday night.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My mistake from working on the basis that they both have Llanbrynmair in the address. :roll:
Llanbrynmair - largest parish, smallest population.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I suppose in reality I should keep my mouth shut about wanting a more difficult course. By that point it'll probably have been two months since I went out on the bike. :lol:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Looking at the proliferation of black badges, and recent finish times being well inside 24 hours, a BB250 or more difficult course seems logical, after all, I bet Stu didn't see a reduced entry list in 2015 after the notorious 2014 event.

For what it's worth I enjoyed the 14 event - mainly due to the knowledge that everyone would be experiencing the same misery, not just a few! :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

slarge wrote:Looking at the proliferation of black badges, and recent finish times being well inside 24 hours, a BB250 or more difficult course seems logical, after all, I bet Stu didn't see a reduced entry list in 2015 after the notorious 2014 event.
I'm sure Stu will correct me if i'm wrong, but the the BB200 is ment to be an introduction event for people starting out. Hard enough to be a challenge, but achievable for the average person.
slarge

Post by slarge »

You're probably right Chew, but the BB200 seems to have a reputation to live up to.....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Supposed to be achievable by the cut off though no? I'd think for most people who turned up last year, getting round by the cut off (even with a decent sleep) would have been trivial.

Injuries / mechanicals aside of course.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm sure Stu will correct me if i'm wrong, but the the BB200 is ment to be an introduction event for people starting out. Hard enough to be a challenge, but achievable for the average person.
Not wrong but I think that due to other infuences, the BB200 has probably changed a bit over the years. In the beginning it was probably the 'hardest' organised thing you could attempt in the UK because there was nothing else of a similar nature. It wasn't really an introduction then, 'cos it was the top rung. Once Steve introduced the CL and a little later, Alan the HT, our group perceptions of 'hard' changed and 200km suddenly seemed shorter than it did previously.
Supposed to be achievable by the cut off though no?
This is perhaps something that's overlooked and can make a huge difference ... finishing is hopefuly challenging yet achievable by most but doing it in 24 hours or less, probably should be something far harder and something most people either can't do or will really have to dig deep to achieve.

However, I'm not going to try and alter what seems to work. There's too many variables such as weather, ground conditions and who enters to try and 'control it' ... really, we only know how good / bad a year we've had once the fat lady shuts up :wink:
notinabox

Post by notinabox »

Stuart above .....Yes that's it.
200k to me and my life is HARD. As for many others too I'd hazard a guess. Without repeating Stuart, I think it works as it is well.

Under 24hr AMAZING.
To finish Also amazing :) :-bd